Plextor PlexTools

I just posted the article Plextor PlexTools.

[quote][/quote]

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/194-Plextor-PlexTools/](http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/194-Plextor-PlexTools/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

As you can see from the table the PlexTools software showed some excellent results and the program could decrease the amount of errors in track two with 67%!
I’m sorry I must of skimmed passed this somewhere in your article. How did you arrive at this figure? And also, do you think PT is better at DAE than EAC now?

Very nice. But a question Why binary comparison did was made with Plextor utility? why with only one track, probabily different from the tree of preceding comparison?

TBZ: Mode 1: Track 2 - 500.613 errors Mode 5: Track 2 - 162.028 errors A decrease of 67%. Unfortunately EAC doesn’t have a detailed LOG-file with all the errors so we can’t compare both programs here and that’s why we did a binary comparison. pippocalo: we did some more tests and got the same result: EAC extracted damaged audio tracks that were different from the original file. PlexTools created the exact same files regardless if the track was damaged or not. It’s very hard to tell the quality otherwise so we did a binary comparison. Yes we used a utility developed by Plextor but that doesn’t make a difference in the achieved results.

I’d like to know the ripping speed with clean CDs. EAC is often slow in secure mode.

hmz very strange EAC didnt do better in the binary comparison… did EAC actually said there were problems with extracting? or did it just say everything was ok? and have u noticed any hearable difference once? cause i dont think that 1000 bytes are hearable… would love to see a reaction from the creators of eac on this one :slight_smile:

As I understood, there were no errors reported. However, 1032 bytes are 258 samples, that is at most 258 errors, at least 43. Unfortunately we don’t know the number of errors detected during EAC’s rip. Keep in mind that errors are erratic : look at the EAC logs, in low, track 1 has no errors while track 3 has, while in medium, it is the opposite. It is possible that the Plextor success and EAC failure are within the same uncertainty, and can be reversed in another rip. More tests must be conducted. I can send you some killer CDs for error recovery : bad CDRs that always make EAC report no error while there are (on my Memorex-Teac-Sony drives)

Maybe they should retry the EAC test, but WITHOUT using C2, I don’t think C2 is reliable on new plextors.

For more results confirming our test results please check out this thread on our Plextor forum.

I’ve been very close to the development of the new PlexTools software, so let me shred some light on it… First let me say the audio extraction engine is completely renewed. Earlier versions of PlexTools don’t even come close to the new PlexTools version when it comes to extraction quality. Pio2001:

I’d like to know the ripping speed with clean CDs. EAC is often slow in secure mode.
On an undamaged CD the extraction speed will be equal or very close to that of regular burst extraction software (AudioGrabber, CDex,…). In other words, as fast as possible.
It is possible that the Plextor success and EAC failure are within the same uncertainty, and can be reversed in another rip. More tests must be conducted.
I’ve done extensive tests of which I cannot publish the results (but when I have more time to get a new site online, I’ll redo 'em). The conclusion is: the new PlexTools is superior to EAC. This thanks to the use of burst extraction mode to read data and C2 information to detect errors. When an error occurs PlexTools can choose from 5 different extraction schemes, ranked from normal to extreme secure. Let’s say that scheme 5 is selected. Because of the C2 information PlexTools knows exactly which samples (not just sectors!) are correct and which are not. PlexTools will then recover the correct samples whereas EAC may not find enough matching sectors to restore the original data. sikkek:
Maybe they should retry the EAC test, but WITHOUT using C2, I don’t think C2 is reliable on new plextors.
Au contraire! In fact, the C2 error detection of the newer Plextor drives is so reliable that the whole error detection/correction mechanism is built around it. And the numbers don’t lie… Older plextor drives (8/4/32 for example) have a rather unreliable C2 error detection. These drives will not benefit from this software. The new PlexTools will only work reliable when the C2 information is reliable. Drives with no or non-reliable C2 error detection will still get the best results with EAC. Of course, at the price of a much lower extraction speed.

Thank you for your input SatCP!

This is great software. Its easy and the final product is great, if you want to put movies on your IPOD, this is the program to do it with.