Plextor orders DVD burners from Lite-On IT

I just posted the article Plextor orders DVD burners from Lite-On IT.

Digitimes is reporting that Lite-On IT has landed orders from Plextor. The website reports: "Lite-On IT has also landed PC-use DVD burner orders from Japan-based Plextor, following Plextor’s…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12939-Plextor-orders-DVD-burners-from-Lite-On-IT.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12939-Plextor-orders-DVD-burners-from-Lite-On-IT.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Benq got absorbed by LiteOn, new plextors are going to be LiteOns… So who is left? Pioneer and NEC. Optorite was also making DVD writers using sanyo chipsets, but I haven’t heard from them in a while. So it would seem LiteOn has successfully become the biggest DVD maker. Sad day…

What about Sony? They’ve had a number of decent burners, though some of them were rebadged Benq. Sad day, indeed.

Sony / NEC merged their optical drive divisions together into ‘Optiarc’. Not too many left now, to be sure. Isn’t Pioneer even using NEC hardware?

Well, it’s exactly like I said when cdfreaks posted that quote from the Plextor Europe or something guy that said “Plextor will still sell” Plextor branded drives. I hate being right in cases like this :c

Soon there’ll be only LiteON drives! Amazing. Time to stock on some good (non-LiteON) burners, still available for sale… :wink:

At this moment for pc drives there are left: Lite ON LG Samsung/Toshiba NEC/Sony Pioneer Incase of slimdrives you can add. Nu (TECH)/QSI Only blu ray. (the rest they outsource !) matsushita Pioneer is ussing some of the components made by NEC (chipsets and stuff) however the end design is still Pioneer I think. Does anybody by the way know who makes that ultra slime external drive for plextor ? Because it seems to be continued.

Jeez, the news is more than a bad news for Plextor, it’s flushing the Plextor brand down the toilet.

LiteOn is a monopoly now! :d They are going to own all the DVDRW hardware companies. :+

It doesn’t necessarily mean that Plextor will be using rebadged Lite-On drives. Lite-On may be using their facilities to manufacture drives to Plextor’s specifications. Or, it could mean that they’ll be using re-badged Lite-On drives. Personally, I don’t think Plextor’s quality is what it used to be anyway. The 760A seems flimsy to me, especially when compared to a SCSI 40/12/40S that I have in the same system. Cheaper drives seem to have a better build quality than my 760A. Plextor’s strength is in the firmware. Also, haven’t Plextor already used re-badged drives before now?

Rebadged Lite On drives will still have better firmware from Plextor than from Lite-On.

Meh, I like pioneer and LG more anyway. Who is going to pay through the nose when they find out plextor is a liteon, I wonder?

Why so negative? Plextor can choose any manufacturer they want, but apparently they have all confidence in Lite-On as a reliable partner. Ligth up! In every branche, brands outsource their production!