vbimport

I recently purchased a Plextor 712A
I already have Plexwriter Premium and a 708A
And set it up as followed
IDE1 Plexwriter Premium (Master)
708A (slave)
IDE2 712A (master)
I installed Plextools & Nero 6 from the supplied DVD rom
I then attempted to burn a DVD my system promptly crashed to the dreaded blue screen
So I went into the bios and enabled the bus master (is this correct is it to control the IDE Master / Slave)
I then tried another disc that failed but the system did not crash.
So I downloaded and installed the latest Plextools & Nero 6 and also installed an ASPI driver (Plextools does not see this driver in the system info)
I then decided to copy a DVD on the fly from the 708A to the 712A using Plextools it copied 4.37 gig in 14 minutes on a Data write Red 4x DVD media (not to bad I thought)
I then tried exactly the same project on Nero and it took 32 minutes so what’s going on there then?
Both burned discs work fine.

The main reason for this post is to check I am on the right track with what I am doing
And to ask if there is anything else I need to know

The performance difference between PlexTools and Nero could be caused by several things. First, did you copy the same DVD with both software apps or did you use difference DVDs? If so, the second DVD could have had some scratches, causing the PX-708A to need more time to read the disc. Second, your PX-712A could have burned the second DVD at a lower speed. Were there buffer underruns during the burn process with Nero? If so, there was a problem with the data flow. Another issue could have been that when burning with Nero you were doing something with your system, causing a slow-down in the data flow. Some many causes could explain the differences. To me it doesn’t sound you have a real problem. Have you installed the Sonic DLA software or RealMedia Player software on your system? These could explain the blue screens you experienced. There is some info on this in the FAQ in the Plextor Forum.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply G@M3FR3@K
All the discs were the same
I do not have Sonic DLA or RealMedia Player
and i left the computer both times
i dont know if there were buffer underruns

Hmm thats strange my 708a has now set its self to regen 1 and niether DVD drives recognise blank dvds. CDs work fine, and i still do not know what the bus master is