Plextor Motherboard Compatibility List Contributions

Stoneburner–I’ve got a 2 port SATA Link card with the Silicon Image 3112 chip. no complaints so far.

the question is are they just working or working optimally, does Plextools report that it is running DMA mode 4 or not, I went with one of Plextors recommended add-in cards the SATAII 150 TX 4 and it still isn’t running in DMA mode at least not according to Plextools 2.19a. There is a difference between working and working the way it’s supposed to. Now thats the real question, are they running in DMA mode?

If you can burn at 16x without BURN-Proof kicking in I think you can safely conclude that the drive is using UDMA mode and that it’s working fine. Even if PlexTools wouldn’t report it, a drive that uses PIO mode would never be able to work properly at 16x recording.

Mine works like a charm ( see speecs above ).
Plus 1 Maxtor 120 G and another with 200G, both SATA ( default ).

Specs:
Abit NF7 S 2.0 Bios d26-mantarays-xt
AMD XP-M 2500+ 45W 2700 MHz 1.95V
Waterblock Inova Rev.3 + Black Ice Pro + " Big Momma "
Winbond 2x 256 ( FSB 12 x 225=450 ) 2.3.3.11 -2.8v
Fonte ENERMAX NOISETAKER EG 475 AX-VE SFMA
Antec 1000Eihem 1046
Gexcube 9600XTG AGP:1.6v Core: @580 Mhz Memory @700 Mhz+Tweak Monsters_+_VGA Silencer
Plextor 48x + Plextor PX716A(TLA#0204) + LiteOn SOHD 167T HackedSpeed 16x

It works perfectly with my DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb motherboard. It’s plugged into one of the Nvidia sata ports.

ahhhhh I see…
I have a soyo kt600 ultra platinum. With via and silicon image chipsets for sata. I got lockups on both controllers… I have a raptor 74gig and 2 seagate 200 gig sata drives.

At first it worked on the via… then crashed my windoze watching a movie. Must have been an awful movie. lol

Then I put it on the sli chipset. Worked for a while then started crashing.

soyo states I shouldn’t put it on the sata channels at all… ok… I bought an adaptec 1205sa. NOW its working… and the silly thing has an silicon image chipset. so i can controll the functions from my sil sata program… weird…

I see that the kt600 has probs with the plex… but the kt880 doesn’t. figures… lol

I’m looking into the ASUS “A8N-SLI Deluxe” nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard " or the msi k8n neo4 sli.

Those seem to work well and have 6 or 8 sata ports.

It took me forever to get this darn plex working… lol

But I like it… I have quality media… and some kyper media… I use to test on my sister. lol I’ll see how kyper media works on the plex… I hope it doesn’t blow up! lol

Plextor states… that alot of boards won’t work with the drive. But you don’t know that until you buy the darn thing and get the manual. lmao

If you can burn at 16x without BURN-Proof kicking in I think you can safely conclude that the drive is using UDMA mode and that it’s working fine.
This is a no brainer, but In order for everyone to be on the same sheet of music, everyone got Plextools with their plextor so this gives us a standard, the one equal thing for all of us reguardless of the other hardware, if someone is using a motherboard with the onbaord SATA then is plextools reporting DMA or not, if someone is using one of the recommended add-in’s is plextools reporting DMA or not? There are so many factors as far as hardware and connections it’s just that plextools gives us all the same tool to check the DMA status and whether or not it’s a bug with plextools, or their motherboard and add-in cards compatability list is wrong indeed. I now have each one of their recommended add-in cards and Plextools doesn’t even show DMA available for the 712SA or the 716SA, now is this a bug with plextools? or will we not be able to run these things “optimally” or just whatever it thinks is best?

Plextor is quick at pointing the finger everywhere else, maybe this is their bug.

Plextor is quick at pointing the finger everywhere else, maybe this is their bug.

really? more often than not i see ppl pointing the finger at Plextor when they have no idea what they’re doing.

really? more often than not i see ppl pointing the finger at Plextor when they have no idea what they’re doing.
Yes really, I know the big Plextor fans will have a hard time believing this but every support mail i’ve gotten has pointed their finger at someone else. Why is ot Plextools is the only application i’ve used so far that says the 712SA and 716SA aren’t using DMA? Both the via sata monitor and the promise sata monitor applications say DMA is being used Plextor is the only one that says it isn’t? and they are from the recommended Plextor list too. I’m trying to get a standard so we can see where everyone stands, you don’t have to participate if it shows that Plextor could be wrong, like I said it’s their recommended hardware list.

1st email response, was your drivers aren’t up todate, wrong all my drivers are updated constantly.
2nd was my hardware isn’t supported, oh but it is on their list the Promise SATII 150 tx4 and the Highpoint rocketraid
3rd well the manufacturerers just aren’t doing things right.
those are the answers I received, all of which were wrong.

my response had nothing to do with being a “Plextor fan” but rather an observation about a lot of posts here :rolleyes:

are you just asking if anyone else’s PT is showing DMA? if you’re not having any issues and PT is the ONLY app not showing it, chalk it up to a software bug. i fail to see why you’re all worked up about it…

I’m not worked up just trying to create a standard that everyone who owns a plextor has access too. Do we not believe in standards? Everyone has access to the Plextools, well everyone that owns a Plextor anyways, what good is comparing issue’s without some sort of standard, Plextools is that standard in this case, and yes it’s about DMA and whether or not Plextools says it’s available using Plextors using compatability list, I am using whats on their list and so far it doesn’t appear to be up to “standard” with Plextools. So you tell me where the flaw is, the hardware, software or their list? We can assume because of the speed that it has to be using DMA. I would rather not assume anything, and if it is a Plextools bug we need to show Plextor, their too busy blaming others and won’t look at this or so it would appear.

i do believe in standards but hardly think the fact that all plextor owners have plextools will lead to any sort of standard. each and every owner has a different hardware and software configuration and it’s virtually impossible for everyone to be on the “same page” as you stated in an earlier post.

unfortunately i don’t have a SATA version of the 716 but PT shows the correct DMA mode for both of my ATA drives.

i don’t know where the flaw is but i wouldn’t be so quick to blame plextor for every incompatibility encountered “in the wild”. i don’t work for plextor and am not siding with them, it’s just very frustrating to hear/read of people’s issues with their drive(s) when it more often than not boils down to some HW/SW conflict and/or user error. i don’t expect plextor to test each and every SATA controller on the market…no HW manufacturer test EVERY POSSIBILITY…it would be foolish to do so IMHO from both a time and resource standpoint.

it’s so easy for people to say Plextor’s ignoring this and that, blaming others and that they should fix MY/THE problem ASAP…you have no idea what they’re working on internally and just as YOU don’t want to assume your drive is functioning in DMA mode, why are you so bent on ASSUMING Plextor is doing nothing about this “supposed” issue? seems a bit hypocritical to me…but that’s just me i guess…

Hi, I’ve a question that I hope you guys can help me out with…

I’m interested buying a PX-716A, however after reading people having problems with the drive due to their m.board chipset I’ve become :confused:

I’m using: Intel 845PE Chipset based m.board:845PE Max2-FIR

P4 @ 2.533GHz
1024MB DDR-Ram
3 HDD’s (Hitachi 80GB/Seagate 200GB/Maxtor 120GB)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (128MB)

the question is, will I risk hitting on problems due to m.board Compatibility?

thanks in advance

You misunderstood something. It’s all about the 716SA which is a SATA interface burner. If you buy a 716A it will be OK with every mobo with normal IDE channels.

erdoke:

That would be fine by me ;), however reading the first posts in this thread and this post: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=122074

it seems that you will hit on problems also with the 716A if not having the right chipset based m.board.

After reading the posts I make the assumption that if using an Intel chipset based m.board, then you are on the safe side… It would be nice to see if anyone can assure me that this is a valid assumption or not…

I am running a Asus P4C800 Deluxe-E With Raid O off the ICH5R Intel Raid southbridge through 2 SATA (Serial) Hitachi 120GB Drives. I also have a 250GB backup drive running Off the Primary Master IDE controller and a LiteOn combo drive on the slave side. The Plextor 716 (fw 1.04) is connected to the Secondary IDE Controller as the master (per Plextor Manual). All of this works just fine. I have used DVD Decrypter and DVD shrink and backed up The Italian job in 26 minutes using 4X Verbatim media with a manufacturing code indicating the OEM was Ricoh and was manufactured in Japan. The Plextools Pi/ PO disc check shows no problems and the resulant disc works on a variety of DVD players from a Toyota Land Cruiser to made in China DVD / VCR combo player, a high end Sony Carousel DVD player, a Toshiba Laptop and of course the computer mentioned above.

The PX716 Works for me.

very well summarized geekeldr…thanks for your contribution.

Plextor might be right!

The Promise SATAII 150 tx4 is a transitionnal product that doesn’t fully support NCQ.
At the end of Feb. beginning of March, there will be a newer one that is said to fully support NCQ! (so it’s not only a problem of drivers, but of controller chip)

By the way, I am still waiting for a WHQL driver for Ultra133 Tx2 under WinXP (and I fear it’s also a problem of chip!)

There is a problem with these controllers and Plextools:
They use SCSI emulation mode, and Plextools (previous versions at least) like only ATAPI mode!

So may be Plextools is also the culprit by not supporting SCSI emulation (or the kind of SCSI emulation that Promise is doing!)

My experience tells me that Promise is the more at blame in this matter: they used to use some shortcuts in their drivers ( speed oriented tweaks that deviate from the standard? )!

regards

I think that those are not related to chipsets but rather to chipset (IDE) drivers. Many problems were reported on nForce chipsets based motherboards with nVidia IDE drivers installed and on older Intel based mobos Intel Application Accelerator installed.

Ok! I see, thanks for clearing that up! :slight_smile:

Going to stay away from the IAA driver :wink:

I got the computer back some weeks ago (left for service), I hope they didn’t install it…
checked the IDE drivers;
Device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers -> Primary/Secondary IDE Channel -> Properties -> Drivers and it says it’s Microsoft drivers…

Otherwise if they had installed IAA it would had said Intel, right?