Plextor Motherboard Compatibility List Contributions

vbimport

I’m beginning to see questions regarding motherboard compatibility regarding the PX-716A and PX-716SA drives. Plextor offers a limited compatibilty list located here:
http://www.plextor.com/english/support/media_712SA.htm

I think it’ll be helpful if everyone using the PX-716A, PX-716SA, PX-712A, PX-712SA to list their motherboards if the drives work on them. We’ll be able to construct a more extensive list of compatible motherboards than what is listed on the Plextor site this way. If you have any settings that were adjusted on your motherboard BIOS to get the writer to work that will be useful info also, as well as any other information you may think is pertinent in your configuration.

I for one am curious to see if my ASUS P5AD2 Deluxe will work with the PX-716SA.

Thanks in advance for everyone’s contributions to this list, it’ll prove very helpful to everyone wanting to purchase/use a new Plextor DVD writer.

works fine with Asus A8V Deluxe mobo with no changes to BIOS necessary.

There is no problem with Intel ICH5, ICH6 chipset southbridge and Plextor SATA drives
(That’s the least Plextor can do!)

Redundant. ATAPI drives will work on any motherboard. Limit your research to SATA drives only.

Then why lots of problem with AMD mobo for ATAPI drives?

There are? Must be due to third-party chipsets - the reason I stick with Intel.
But there is a difference between to have problems and not to work at all. The purporse of the discussed list is to determine with what motherboards the SATA drives are recognized and with what they are not, isn’t it?

Yes

Yes, the purpose of the post is primarily for the SATA drive (especially since that is the way that I’m leaning) but it is also useful to know if certain motherboards aren’t working with the ATAPI version as well, regardless of the reason (chipset, etc.) In so doing, I expect this thread will save many of our CD Freaks brethren from unnecessary frustration.

Thanks for the previous posts regarding their motherboards.

Works fine with ASUS P4C800 :slight_smile:

Thanks radialman, which drive are you referring to PX-716A or PX-716SA?

I would be interested to see how the the Plextor PX-716SA/SW works with AMD motherboards.

I am pretty loyal to AMD Processors and ASUS motherboards, so this would be of interest to me.

It’s not “AMD mobo” what has IDE problems but nVidia nForce2 chipset based motherboards with ForceWare IDE drivers installed. It is more like a driver problem, so it works with the WinXP integrated IDE drivers much better.
I know nothing about such problems with VIA KT600 or K8T800 chipset based motherboards.

I just got a PX-716SA today from newegg, its a TLA0203 revision. Oh yea, assembly date on the sticker of the drive was DECEMBER 2004, so that verifies TLA0203 is the newest stuff from plextor.

So far, it works flawlessly on my Abit AV8 (AMD64, VT8237 Sata)… I only have 12x media, but it burned a dvd+r at 12x and didnt max out the cpu in the process. (Using Verbatim 12x DVD+R’s)

Also, if anyone is curious, I was doing this in window x64 (the 64-bit version), and PlexTools works fine, as does nero, but roxio doesnt seem to be happy about it. Alcohol does not install however.

I did speed write tests comparing this drive to my Plextor 48x cd-burner (did simulations in plextools) and the two drives performed identical, peaking at 48x just at the 80minute mark on the media, so overall I am quite pleased.

Oh, BTW, nero has buffer underrun issues in windows 64-bit… Last CD i burned had over 100 buffer underrun errors :eek: , but no, it didnt make a coaster. :bow:

I just got a PX-716SA working with my ASUS P5AD2 Premium motherboard (Intel 925X chipset). I’m using a pair of SATA hard discs in RAID0 mirroring, connected to the Intel chipset (ICH6R) SATA ports, and using the Intel RAID driver (Intel Matrix Storage Driver). I connected the PX-716SA to one of the two remaining Intel SATA ports, and it is working fine. Plextools Pro 2.19a and Nero 6.6.0.3 can both see the drive properly.

My PX-716SA is a borrowed pre-release evaluation unit, and it has been updated to firmware 1.03. I haven’t tried burning any DVD+R discs yet.

Fine with Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP nForce3 250 (Socket 754) Motherboard

Same speed with both Microsoft (generic) IDE drivers and NForce IDE/SATA drivers.

Thanks for the info scan80269, that’s what I was waiting to hear. I’m going to take the plunge and order the PX-716SA from newegg and take advantage of their one day sale (expiring today) on the drive.

www.compuplus.com has the 716 drive for $113.00 after a $30.00 mail in rebate from plextor. :wink:

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARDS

works fine with ABIT AA8DURAMAX motherboard!

I have an Asus P4g8x with a SiL 3112 sata controller. SOme mobos with this controller work with it, so what are the chances mine will? I doubt very many people have this mobo, it was a workstation based pre 875 chipset release and it was also one of the first boards to have SATA so i doubt it will work and I dont want to test it myself…

how does the 716sa work with add in cards?

Have the 716SA running on Intel ICH6 chipest, only problem is the hard drive light stays on all the time with it plugged in.