Plextor, Lite - on, or TDK 24X burners

vbimport

From the Plextor, Lite - on, TDK, or any other drive available in the US which one is performance wise the best. Speed is not the most important, if one 24X burner takes a few seconds longer to burn a cd its no big deal

What is important is

Overall Performance
DAE quality and speed
SD2 (reading protection speed)
Software performance like Nero, Cdrwin, Discjuggler, Clonecd, VOB

Based on that information please tell why one drive is better than the other

Thanks

In my opinion the Plex. Mines coming tomorrow hopefully:D But if I had of been short of cash I would have taken the LTR-24102B I recon it comes a pretty close second, while others may beg to differ;)

Have read some reviews and can say that the Plex2410 isn’t always the quickest (avg 19,2) but I think this drive is the most reliable one! It can burn SD2 like a charm! :stuck_out_tongue:
I own a Plex1210a myself and can say Plextor is topquality!! :smiley:

Thanks guys for the information. I have a Plextor 1210a with firmware 1.4 which works great especially on DAE with EAC. On the other hand I am tired of its SD2 problems. Also now eversince I delete clonecd 2.333 and installed 3.1 the plextor can not read or write sub channel information. Whats up with that

I am a little skeptacle going with Lite - On, what kind of company are they. Are they a subsidiary of any company’s

Why skeptical of the liteon. This drive is good and reliable and it is rebadged for other companies (ie Cendyne). I have had mine for a while with no problems. Remeber sometimes the best quality products can have problems, give it a go

I would either go for the LiteOn or the Plextor. Both can do SafeDisc 2 perfectly… Don’t know about the TDK but I thought it can’t handle SD2 so this one is a no go.

Well Plextor or Liteon? This has been asked a lot of times before. I suggest you do a search on this forum or check out the reviews at www.cdrinfo.com. As far as I’ve seen/read both drives are very good.

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
[B]I would either go for the LiteOn or the Plextor. Both can do SafeDisc 2 perfectly… Don’t know about the TDK but I thought it can’t handle SD2 so this one is a no go.

Well Plextor or Liteon? This has been asked a lot of times before. I suggest you do a search on this forum or check out the reviews at www.cdrinfo.com. As far as I’ve seen/read both drives are very good. [/B]

I agree both burners are good. Right now I have the Lite-On 24x in my comp. No problems with SD2 at all. I have read in some private forums that some Plextor 24x are still having problems with SD2. As for the Plextors I have never had one so I suggest as G@M3FR3@K says and check out cdrinfo and cdrsoft for more info on the Plextors. I chose the Lite-On based on what I’ve read in other posts. You can also check cdrtimes forum.

cdrtimes forum h**p://www.cdrtimes.net/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi

cdrsoft forum h**p://www.cdrforum.cc/

In my opinion Plextor / LiteOn is very good. Though I think Plextor (24x) is probably better one to go for if you have the extra cash. I have LiteOn 24x (low on cash) and had no problems with it.

Small tech detail of the diffence between the 2 drives:

Plextor has the ability to pass corrupted sector data to PC (also known as ‘Fast Error Skip’ with ‘hardware’ and ‘none’ error correction mode) This will allow for fastest reading of SD2 and also intentional sector errors to be read. LiteOn does not support this feature and when it encounters an intentional error the software (CloneCD/CDMate) will replace data with hex values 55 - effectively replacing with another unreadable sector data.

This doesn’t affect making a working copying of SD2 protection. This is because the hex 55s will be unreadable by any CDROM reader and the SD2 will expect this, so it doesn’t know that they were changed.

Couple of weeks ago I got mine. Very very fast drive, excellent quality and I highly recommend!:smiley:

reads 80 min sd2 cd in 4 min
writes in 5 min

unprotected 80 min
read 3 min 20 sec
write 4 min 15 sec

using cheap spinwrite media, perfect copies every time
reading a badly written 700m vcd in a friends mitsumi 20 min
liteon time 3 min 20 sec.

fast error skip has never been so fast!

liteon 24102b

fast and cheap

:cool:

Get a LiteOn… They are fast, cheap, reliable, firmware upgradable, can copy just about anything outhere, plus
they can overburn (A feature missing from other drives).

I’m algo getting a LiteOn DVD drive, I been reading nothing
but good reviews on it.

go with the liteon most sites
recommend it more than plextor

What is the lifespan of a Plextor? I heard rumors that it will stop functioning after some time. Is this true?

I have had 4 plex drives over the years and all were superb. I switched to Liteon last month and I am extremely impressed. As everyone has said base your choice on how much you can afford. Neither drive will let you down.

the lite-on annd the plex stands pretty much equal…

they can do just about the same things except that lite-on does 90 and 99min cds witch plextor dosent…

every thing else stands quite equal…

i can state it like this (dunno if pople will be happy though)
plex is a high quality (so called pro drive)
and lite on is low quality (so called budget drive)
heh
well check out the reviews on both these drives

plex is mucho dinesros $$$$$
and lite on is less :wink: $$$

Well if you haven`t bought the new burner so for the Liteons side of view I can tell you that I bought one and had major problems with it returned it to the shop and waiting for a new one. Ok check out this site first before you make your decision www.liteonit.com discussion board. Anyway if you already bought one I hope it works fine.:slight_smile:

Originally posted by Pirate80
What is the lifespan of a Plextor? I heard rumors that it will stop functioning after some time. Is this true?
No total bs :slight_smile: I’ve used my Plextor pretty much every day since I bought it ( 13 months ago) and it’s still going… Sure if you make 50-60 copy’s a day it may stop working correctly but all CD-RW will have this problem.

I find the Plextor 24x to be just great. Fast, quiet, reliable and it does SD2 (with 1.02 firmware) just great. I couldn’t imagine a better drive.