Plextor L890UE and copyright protected cds

vbimport

Hello,

Just bought the L890UE. On the very first use the plextor seemed not to recognise the audio CD I wanted to rip. Tried several times but it still didn’t work. No notification about the size, etc of the CD in explorer. I tried another cd and everything worked just fine. It was not a defective cd but a copy protected cd: the one with a small trace and the bigger trace with the data.
I just can’t believe that the Plextor is not able to read a cd because of that. All the cd/dvd writers I owned in the past were able to handle this hurdle.

My question is: did I do something wrong? Is there a solution? Or maybe is the drive defective?
Any suggestions?

TIA

Hi and Welcome!

It is the disc, that is defective. Defective by design. Since so-called copy protected music CDs are not standards compliant, your drive must not necessarily be able to deal with that.

Apart from that, these newer drives are rebadged units from other manufacturers like Pioneer or Liteon. And especially Liteon DVDRW drives are not famous for their CD part.

Michael

Thank you for your respons. The main reason why I’ve selected the Plextor is it’s ability to rip audio with a very high quality level. In a German HiFi Magazin is a test of several cd/dvd readers/writers and the winners were the LiteOn iHas624 and the plextor L890UE. Again my aim is to make use of a high quality rip-station. Burning capabilities is on the background of my interests

If you are interested I can send you the test report (in the German language)

Henk

[QUOTE=Onder013;2609835]The main reason why I’ve selected the Plextor is it’s ability to rip audio with a very high quality level.[/quote]What is considered a high quality level? :confused:

In a German HiFi Magazin is a test of several cd/dvd readers/writers
I smell voodoo :wink:

and the winners were the LiteOn iHas624 and the plextor L890UE.
At least this is consistent, since the Liteon and the Plextor share the same hardware.

Again my aim is to make use of a high quality rip-station. Burning capabilities is on the background of my interests
My personal favourites for DAE are Renesas-based LG drives, but since I don’t have Un-CDs in my shelf, I can’t tell how they perform with that junk. Okay, I have a bunch of other drives, one of these might help in such a rare case.

For software, I guess you are using EAC?

If you are interested I can send you the test report (in the German language)
Thanks :slight_smile: And german articles are zero problem for me;) Just send PM.

Michael

I´d like to have a copy of the test report too.

Is there any chance to get a bin file of the firmware?