Plextor Help (Plextor internal PX-716A/T3)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Plextor PX-716A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi,
I have a Plextor PX-716A burner. I have had it for 4-5 years and this is the first year that I have burned dvd’s with it. I use Nero 7 as well. I coach hs football and I have been burning game film, trade film and video from a camcorder from when we send someone to scout. Weeks 1 and 2 the dvd’s were very good. Clear and burned with no problems. Week 3 I had 1 dvd that came out funny. When there was no action, kids standing still, the quality was ok; when the action started things became blurry. The kids went out of focus. I did the video from scratch a second time and it turned out ok. Week 4 every dvd I made turned out bad. Non-action looked fuzzy, action looked blurred. Week 5 was the same as week 4, all were bad, and I was even getting errors, unable to burn dvd.

I thought it might be a software issue, so I uninstalled Nero and reinstalled it, still same result. Finally I installed Nero on my wife’s dell and burned the dvd’s and the turned out fine. I am assuming that this burner is now a paper weight, or is there something that can be done with it. If not, what would be a good replacement? I loved my plextor because whatever I burned, it would play in any cd/dvd player that I tried it in.

So I guess that would have to be my number 1 requirement in a burner. Good quality burn and speed would be next.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
James

The hardware in the plex 716 was a little flaky, I’m not say yours is poor quality, it most likely needs its lens cleaned. You can disassemble the drive and clean the lens with a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol. If that doesn’t do the trick, then a new drive is only like $30.

The alcohol seemd to do the trick for now. The drive is making nice copys of a trade dvd. Thanks Eric. Still think I might buy a new one. I would like something w/lightscribe, plays in any dvd player and produces good quality picture. I have seen the optiarc, and the samsung’s reccomended here, most likely will buy it from newegg.

Thanks again.

Well get a SATA drive if you MB supports it:
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q, doesn’t come with a sata cable, but they are cheap.

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model DH-20A4H-08 - Retail, IDE drive.

Both should be capable of turning on Bitsetting with one of the firmware modifying tools, like Ala42’s MCSE tool, or one of codekings tools.