Plextor & Gateway & Insuff. Memory 98SE

excuse my newbieness, but I do not know where to look for information on the following:

I have a Gateway (intel 586) running 98SE. 240gB of space on two HDs. 20gB avail on C: The machine has 1gb ram.

All but the most essential TSR programs have been eliminated which leaves the NAV running and the tablet driver running. This leaves 82% of sys resources available.

I have a Plextor PX-708UF running on Firewire connection. I have not tried switching it to the USB2 connex.

When I try to burn a (toyo-yuden) DVD, I get the

“Not enough memory available to complete operation” error message.

Anyone know of a workaround - or where in this forum I might seek answers?

Thank you for any assistance you might offer.

A FireWire writer on a Windows 98SE machine? Isn’t that like asking a little too much of an ancient Operating System?

Oh well, i guess you need 98SE because of the Wacom/Tablet product.
You should check the systems memory and its behaviours while writing a dvd. Get an RW in case it fails again :slight_smile:

A FireWire writer on a Windows 98SE machine? Isn’t that like asking a little too much of an ancient Operating System?

Probably … but it works fine on one of my other machines which is less powerful (a custom AMD motherboard machine but with only 256K ram)

Oh well, i guess you need 98SE because of the Wacom/Tablet product.
Actually, 98Se is being run on our network and I am somewhat afraid to try to upgrade this particular machine to XP as is is one of our core machines.

You should check the systems memory and its behaviours while writing a dvd.
How … if I can’t burn?

You want Win98SE to burn over Firewire? With a machine of that caliber, why on earth are you running Win98? You are aware it doesn’t use all that memory, right?

• install a real time memory viewer
  • grab a dvd+/- rewritable
  • try

With a machine of that caliber, why on earth are you running Win98? You are aware it doesn’t use all that memory, right?
That is the O.S. the machine came with. I do not know what you mean when you say that it doesn’t use all the memory.

On the advice of Plextor Tech Dept, I changed the Virtual Mem settings from Windows managed to 4000 min and 4000 max. It did not help.

Plextor also guided me here and told me there was a Plextor sub-forum which might have info on this subject. I couldn’t find it.

install a real time memory viewer
What is?

A real time memory viewer is a piece of software (program) that checks your current memory usage and updates that information on a certain interval.

Try memmax for instance.

thx Mr. Belvedere shall do and shall return

when u say try dvd+/- rw you mean media, not a diff drive, right?

I mean a rewritable disc, because if it fails again you still can re-use the disc. Saves a lot of coasters (= failed written discs) :slight_smile:

thx

Fyi, for the plextor forum, on the main page, look at the 13th forum down. It is the second forum under the third main section (International Chat: Hardware related). Under the forum Optical Drives (CD and DVD Burners, etc.) Forum, you will see in small letters the sub forums. The next to last is Plextor DVD Burner sub forum. You can also click the main Optical Drives (CD and DVD Burners, etc.) Forum and the sub forums will be listed at the top.
I only explained where it is to make it easier to find in the future. here is a link for now of course.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43

By the way, what Gurm said about it not using more than 512MB got me interested (I had thought you could use more). Just searching quick, it seems that while windows 98se can use up to 2 gig, aparentlly it has a known bug. If you use over 512MB, aparently the bug in windows file and memory managment can set aside so much of your memory for file usage, that there is not enough left for programs to run properlly. There are fixes but if you have two sticks of memory, the easiest way to test would be to just pull one of the sticks. If it fixes the problem, you know that you are going to have to find a workaround for the memory bug in win 98se if you want to use the full gig. If it is just a single one gig sitck, I guess that you will have to check out your memory usage and try to see if that is the problem, and or try to patch the bug.
here is some info on the bug
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=333688

BINGO. I just hadn’t had time to look it up.