Plextor @ CeBIT 2004

For those of you who missed it, we have a CeBIT 2004 report on the mainpage which also includes some information on Plextor. Here it is, interesting stuff:

As most of our readers will know, Plextor will introduce the PX-712A DVD recorder. The drive will support 12x P-CAV DVD+R and 8x DVD-R recording speed. Dual layer will not be supported for this drive but Plextor did say that dual layer was interesting. A while back we posted some information about the Sanyo chipset that the Plextor PX-712A will use. The specifications of this chipset are ‘better’ (read: supports higher recording speeds) than what the PX-712A will support. Plextor said that this was because they cannot guarantee quality at recording speeds that are too high and thus they choose to support lower speeds, for which they can guarantee the write quality.

Plextor showed us a new version of the PlexTools Professional software which will support DVD error measurement testing using the PX-712A drive. Unfortunately the older Plextor PX-708A drive will not support PI/PO error measurements. The FE/TE and Beta/Jitter tests will also be supported for DVD media. The PlexTools software will have an option with which you can control the drive DVD read speeds. Normally the read speed for DVDs is locked but via the software this can be unlocked. The so-called SpeedRead DVD option will may also be introduced for the PX-708A drive.

PlexTools Professional DVD error measurement test (PI/PO). Notice the PX-712SA (S-ATA) drive in the list of devices.

PlexTools Professional DVD recording transfer rate test. Notice the spikes in the recording speed. Here is where the laser is re-callibrated.

The new PlexTools software can now also give you information on the supported recording speeds for the inserted media. So, when you insert a DVDR disc into your Plextor recorder the PlexTools software will show you at which speeds the media can be written. This information is reported by the recorder itself.

Plextor PX-712A and PX-712SA drives. You can also see the S-ATA cables.

Excellent reporting G@M3FR3@K.

Did any Plextor official happen to mention if or when PlexTools will be available in North America? I have been unable to find it anywhere. Will the SATA version of the Plextor 12x DVD burner use all of the available bandwith on the connected SATA channel.i.e. 150 MB/s?

You can download Plextools here. But you need to do this little trick, to get it installed.

Originally posted by BeeR_DoG

You can download Plextools here.
BeeR_DoG,

I assume, you seemed to misunderstand Shadowmatrix’s question.
As far as I can tell, he asked G@M3FR3@K of the new version of PT, i.e. 2.12.

Was it too much or too little beer that caused you this ? :bigsmile:

Originally posted by BoSkin
[B]BeeR_DoG,

I assume, you seemed to misunderstand Shadowmatrix’s question.
As far as I can tell, he asked G@M3FR3@K of the new version of PT, i.e. 2.12.

Was it too much or too less beer that caused you this ? :bigsmile: [/B]

Well, hangovers I guess :bigsmile:. I thought Shadowmatrix meant Plextools in general, since it isn’t available in north America, right?

The PlexTools software is available worldwide but it’s only shipped with the Plextor Premium drive (because of its unique features). Because the Plextor PX-712A will also support these features I can imagine that this drive will also be shipped with PlexTools worldwide but I am not certain. The S-ATA burner will use the bandwidth that’s needed, so it will use the same amount of bandwidth as the IDE version, meaning roughly 15MB/s when burning at 12x.

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K

Because the Plextor PX-712A will also support these features I can imagine that this drive will also be shipped with PlexTools worldwide but I am not certain.
Seems obvious to me. Dennis, while/if you’re there, why not to ask Plextor to be certain about it ?

Because I didn’t think of it untill now to be honest :o But I’ve checked the Plextor America website and I think we can conclude from this that the PX-712A will be shipped with the PlexTools software:

[i]“The PX-712A extends Plextor’s family of award-winning dual-format DVD drives into the high-speed realm of 12X recording,” said Howard Wing, vice president of sales and marketing for Plextor. “It offers the enhanced set of recording tools of our PlexWriter Premium CD-R/RW drive family, including GigaRec, SecuRec, Q-Check, Silent Mode, and VariRec. PlexWriter Premium drive users who require user-controllable recording tools now can easily migrate to dual-format DVD recording with the new PX-712A drive and PlexTools Professional software.”

The PX-712A also includes PlexTools® Professional software to enable a unique combination of user-controllable CD recording and CD/DVD media test features[/i]