Plextor 8/20 SCSI Problems

vbimport

I just recently acquired a Plextor 8/20 internal SCSI drive to do safedisc backups. I got it with an Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI interface card. Strange thing happened when I plugged my drive up to the power source. All four leds on the front panel lit up and I couldn’t even get the disc tray to eject. My scsi card also doesn’t detect the drive. Anyone have similar issues? Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

I’ve had the SCSI 8/20 and Adaptec AHA-2940UW before (now it’s in my mothers machine) and I don’t remember such an isssue at all . BUT if all four LEDs are lit up then something most probable is connected wrong somehow - I would for one , power the computer down and unplug the electricity and THEN take a closer look (put it on the familydinnertable with a lot of light) and see if You have turned the SCSI-cable 180 degrees on either end or if You turned the powerplug 180 degrees … if there’s nothing wrong then get another SCSI-cable , then borrow a SCSIcard etc.

I assume You found the Adaptec AHA-2940UW working well in the unit-management ? If that’s the case I believe it could very well be the connection .
And I assume You’re familiar with going into the “after-BIOS” when setting the configuration for the 8/20Plex ?

NB : Is the drive shown in unit-management ?

1. Is the drive known good?
  2. Is the card known good?
  3. Is the data cable connected properly? If the power was in upside down you may have fried the drive.
  4. Is the drive terminated with a jumper on the TERM pair?
  5. Is the card terminated using the SCSI Select utility?
  6. Does the card detect the drive if going into the Bus Scan option of the SCSI Select (CRTL-A) utility?

Well , that’s another way to say just about the same things I tried to say a bit more de-technified … :rolleyes: