Plextor 760sa doesn't like Taiyo yuden :-(

Hi all,

I tried to find some information here on the forum but I ended up finding nothing. Like I said in the topic, I bought 200 pieces of taiyo yuden media.

On the pics you can see the disc info and the autostrategy database.
I scanned the media and it says write speed 6 …

I burnt the media at 16 speed and at 8 speed.
The results are horrible, although ta says good…
If I do a pi test I got pi max 52 … and the average is 40!:a

I have a plextor 760 sa with firmware 1.06.
I’m running Windows Vista Business SP1 64-bit dutch.
I have 4gb ram and my cpu is an e6600 2,4 ghz overclocked to 3ghz.

I’m using nero 8.2.8.0 to write my dvd’s.

I was wondering if it matters where the SATA dvd is connected.
It’s connected to sata port 6 i think…

Before it hung sata 3 i believe …

Anyway I got to now, but I guess you can go on with this information.

Thank you for responding.

Your posted scan is not a “horrible” result, but rather a normal result with some batches of YUDEN000 T03 media.

As an example, every disc I have burned from the TH001330 batch has PIE like the scan above, regardless of the burner used to burn it (or slightly worse in some burners).

Have a look in this thread in our Blank Media forum:

Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T03) Batch variation

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Hi Dragemester,

Thank you for responding. I’ve been here before but iI had trouble with my old account.

So it seems that I bought a bad spindel of TY media.
The batch code TH000034.

There is also a code in the ring of the dvd: 6E721A309004PH.

I’ll post my results in the topic you told me.

I’m going to try to change the media where I bought it.
But since you can’t see the batch code, you can’t be sure you are buying good media?

I bought my dvd’s here: http://www.iwonatec.de/index.php?cPath=127_103

Maybe you take a look and tell me which I should buy.

Thank you for responding and if I got more news, I’ll post it here

Greetings,
AMDke

[quote=AMDke;2068840]I’m going to try to change the media where I bought it.
But since you can’t see the batch code, you can’t be sure you are buying good media?

I bought my dvd’s here: http://www.iwonatec.de/index.php?cPath=127_103

Maybe you take a look and tell me which I should buy.[/quote] Even if you know the batch code, you can’t be absolutely sure that you get good media - there will always be some poor media, at least if you buy non-premium media.

If I had to pick a single type of media from the Iwonatec site, it would be Verbatim 16x DVD+R Photo Printable in 25pc cakebox. The reason I’d chose the printable version, is that those will be [B]MCC 004[/B] (while the non-printable ones in 25/50pc cakeboxes can be either MCC 004 or YUDEN000 T03 and I don’t quite trust 100pc cakeboxes).

My second choice would be Verbatim 16x DVD-R Photo Printable in 25pc cakebox, for a similar reason (the printable ones are always MCC 03RG20 and the non-printable ones could be eitherMCC 03RG20 or TYG03).

Iwonatech also sell some premium media like Verbatim 8x DVD-R Hard Coat Protection and Verbatim 8x DVD-R Archival Grade which are much more expensive but also very good.