Plextor 716SA Problem

vbimport

Alright, back again. I had posted a thread in the past weeks claiming that my drive wouldn’t burn to Fuji or Memorex DVD+R’s. In reply, I was told both brands are horrible quality. I then ordered Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD+R from Newegg.com and tried using them to burn media to. In my suprise, they too failed. I’ve had this drive for a little over a year and it never gave me an issue until about 2 - 3 months ago. I’ve used Phillips and Maxell DVD+R’s in the past along with some other brands of which i can’t remember. All of which never gave me an issue. Once I bought these Memorex DVD+R’s I started realizing the problem.

After trying the Taiyo Yuden (which are compatible to my drive) I have come to wonder whether or not my drive is bad/dying?

I’ve tried using multiple speeds for each of the brands which all never can seem to start the burning process.

I’ve also attached one of the Log Files when trying to burn with Alcohol 120%.

Please let me know what you all think, I’d greatly appreciate it.

-Michael

SPECS(IF NEEDED):
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Mobo
1gb Corsair XMS Xtra Low Latency (512mb x 2)
Western Digital 120GB HD SATA
Plextor 716SA SATA
Asus DVD-ROM
Antec Tru Power 550w PSU
XFX 6800gt PCI-E VideoCard

Run the self diagnostic test with a blank TY disk.

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/faqs/HW00008.htm

It’s a pain and can take some time but it’s a sure fire way to determine if your drive is defective or not.

Well, I ran the test, and apparently it failed…

Looks like I’m off to get a new burner, since this one was failed me and the warrenty is up…

Any suggestions for a burner that will at least work for 2 years?

You want a drive, any drive, GUARANTEED to work for 2 years? Rots a ruck!!!

The Plextor US warranty is 1 year, the EU warranty 2 years. Warranty is there because most drives fail in the first year. The only thing that is ‘guaranteed’ is mortality.

That’s pretty gay. :frowning: