Plextor 716SA causeing system hang

vbimport

Great forum. It’s a shame I have to become a member for this reason though.

I purchased a 716SA about 4 months ago and it turned out to be a bad unit. I contacted Plextor and arranged to ship it back to them and they promptly shipped me a new drive. It worked fine with no problems. I decided to format the HD and backed up all my important files and what-not using the drive. Worked like a charm.

Since formatting however it started behaving strangly. Windows sees the drive and it appears to be functioning correctly. When I try to copy files from my backup discs it struggles with it and eventully causes the system to hang. Meaning: the mouse no longer responds and the coping anmation stops. Also the HD light stayes solid. It does manage to copy a couple of files before it freaks out as I discovered in the case of my MP3s.

I have run the self-diagnostic and the drive blinked green and orange back and forth quickly for about 45 minutes when I gave up on it as it appeared to not be doing anything. I have checked all the settings I know to check and everything appears to be as it should.

Heres some specs.

TDK DVD-R 8x Media
Windows XP (SP2)
MSI Neo2 MB
3.4 GHz P4
1 GB RAM
716SA SATA DVD
Plexwritter 40/12/40 CD-RW

…can’t think of anything else to put there.

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you for your time.

~Chris

[EDIT] Did I post this in the wrong forum?

Did you do the test the way they say and did you use a good quality media. If yes to both they probably sent you back your bad drive. The test is internal to the drive.

I did the test the way they havbe in the book. Using the jumper and disconnecting the SATA cable, booting while holding the eject button, etc, etc. I used a TDK 8x DVD-R. Is that considered a good media?

Thank you for the quick response!

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/PX-716SA%20motherboard%20compatability%20listing.htm

Check the media code of your TDK 8x DVD-R with Nero CD-DVD Speed “Disc Info” and let us know. To rule out bad media, you actually need a recommended media to perform the self diagnostic test. Do you have another type of media to test? Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden would be an excellent choice.

Then in Nero CD-DVD Speed, with a blank media inserted, click F9 to “create data disc”. The media will be unusable afterwards but it’s good to test your drive. Please post the graph here by clicking the small disc icon on the top right, save as PNG.

Ok I did the Nero test. The test went smooth and didn’t give any errors or anything. Strangly enough, I installed Nero using the 716SA without realizing it, and everything went fine. When I tried to save the graph, I recieved an error saying it could not save the file. Did I do something wrong?

Hmmm. I have had that problem before with Nec drives and just renamed the file by adding a number or letter to the end of the file name. Might work!:slight_smile:

Did you install your chipset drivers after you reformatted Windows?

[EDIT] Did I post this in the wrong forum?
Well we do have a Plextor forum so I will move this thread to that forum. No problem though sometimes it is hard to tell whether it is a hardware, software or diver problem.The Plextor forum also has an excellent set of FAQ’s stickied at the top of that forum.:wink:

Thank you for moving the thread and i apoligize for not looking more thoroughly for the correct forum to post in. In the future I will be more careful. :iagree:

I did update my MB drivers before I formated and once I did I re-instaled the utility that checks for MB updates and it found nothing. I assume that the drivers are still current. Is there a good sourse for current SATA drivers other than my MB manufacture?

Something strange I’ve noticed is that since I installed Nero, the drive seems a little more stable. I managed to transfer my MP3s and only had a couple of lockups. :rolleyes:

I also tried the afore mentioned method of changing the PNG file name but the forum attachments system said it was an invalid format. It’s late this evening and I’ll try it again tommorow. I also picked up some verbatium DVD-Rs. My problem remains however since my backups are on the TDK DVD-R disc and my work requires the data on them. I guess if I don’t mind having to reboot my computer after a few folders then I can eventually get everything I need copied over to my HD. I am thinking that the problem might be the TDK media although I find it odd that the TDK are not a quality media since their other media has always worked well for me in the past.

That reminds me… :eek:

My computer started doing this weird thing since I formated. It suddenly turns itself off. No warning and no que. A forum I read suggested that it might be a bad CPU fan, that some systems come to a screeching halt when the fan stops. I have since ordered a new one and expect in the next few days. Even if that is not the issue I am certain I need a new CPU fan as the one I have currently, has started this high pitched whinning sound when I boot up and during computer usage as well as my CPU temp seems a bit high. Do any of you have any thoughts as to what else might cause this?

Thank you everyone for your attention and help with this matter. I really appreciate being a part of a forum that has this level of enthusiasm. I hope that I can repay this community one day with knowledge that I may pickup or with advise that was won.

Thanks again! :smiley:

~Chris

@mr. McBane . Well it could very well be a hardware problem now. Most CPU’s now a days have a throttle back and will run at around 50% speed when the CPU reaches a certain temprature and will shut down if it becomes too hot. If your mobo has a monitoring utility I.E. Asus Probe, I would closely monitor the CPU fan speed. IIRC most utilites take a sample every 5 seconds or so on the default setting. Speed Fanis a utility for this (I have never used it but have seen quite a few people using it, so I am not sure what it displays and doesn’t display). You should make sure it’s your CPU fan squeaking and not your PSU fan as that could cause problems as well. Either one need to be looked at because this could be causing your drive problems as well. Seems very strange that this would start to happen after a Windows reformat though.:confused:
P.S. I hope your fan inlet ports dont’t look like this.:wink:

Ok, so I downloaded the Speedfan utility. It seems like a comprehensive program. Anyway, it’s telling me some temps and two of them have warnings.
128F and 241F. F being fahreinheit. I’m pretty sure the 241F is the CPU. For a P4 3.4 GHz, what is the average temp? The data needs a control. Also the fan speed is concerning.

Fan1: 2657
Fan2: 5649
Fan3: 0 (not plugged in I guess as it tells me no reading)

Where should the RPM be at?

[EDIT] I also took apart the CPU fan and cleaned it. There was an unpleasent layer of dust between the fan and the heatsink.

Thank you for all your help! I really appreciate it.

Wow!!! 241F is indeed way too hot for any component in your system. Maybe a video card could sustain that kind of heat, but speedfan isn’t able to read video card sensors. Hopefully it’s a misread, at those temps I’m not surprised that you are experiencing problems.

If your CPU is indeed cooking at that temperature, than what you are experiencing is CPU throttling. The CPU is attempting to save itself from permanent damage by reducing it’s internal frequency, that is why programs don’t seem responsive. If throttling doesn’t work, the next step for the system is to shut itself down.

For the sake of your system, replace the CPU fan immediately and be sure to clean out any dust that may be present.

:Z I cleaned everything the best I could and removed any dust that might be clogging airflow.

I have already order a new CPU fan from Newegg, an ASUS one that seemed to be a good choice based upon the user reviews. I’m just waiting for it to arrive. I hope that fixes the issue. I also took a fan out of my girlfriends old computer and put it in my system. I figure the extra airflow should help a little bit.

My PSU fans were clean and the unit is only a few months old.

Can anyone recommend some fans or at least some features I should look for in case fans? Thanks again! :bigsmile:

[EDIT]
Ok I just downloaded a config for speedfan for my specific MB. The CPU fan is actually at 121F which is still a bit warm but no where near 241F. which raises the question, is 121F enough to down throttle my CPU and if not, what is causing the system to turn off?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

let’s look under the hood

post an overclock report

--------[ Overclock ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
  CPU Type                                          AMD Athlon XP 2700+
  CPU Alias                                         Thoroughbred-B
  CPU Stepping                                      B0
  CPUID CPU Name                                    AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2700+
  CPUID Revision                                    00000681h

CPU Speed:
  CPU Clock                                         2158.90 MHz
  CPU Multiplier                                    13.0x
  CPU FSB                                           166.07 MHz
  Memory Bus                                        166.07 MHz

CPU Cache:
  L1 Code Cache                                     64 KB
  L1 Data Cache                                     64 KB
  L2 Cache                                          256 KB  (On-Die, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
  Motherboard ID                                    63-0100-000001-00101111-090704-KT880$0AAAA000_K7V880-4AA1
  Motherboard Name                                  Soyo KT880 DRAGON 2  (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

Chipset Properties:
  Motherboard Chipset                               VIA Apollo KT880
  Memory Timings                                    2-2-2-6  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
  Command Rate (CR)                                 2T

SPD Memory Modules:
  DIMM2                                             256 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM  (2.0-2-2-5 @ 166 MHz)
  DIMM4                                             256 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM  (2.0-2-2-5 @ 166 MHz)

BIOS Properties:
  System BIOS Date                                  09/07/04
  Video BIOS Date                                   03/05/02
  DMI BIOS Version                                  080011

Graphics Processor Properties:
  Video Adapter                                     Gainward GeForce4 PowerPack! Pro/650 XP 64 MB
  GPU Code Name                                     NV17  (AGP 4x 10DE / 0170, Rev A3)
  GPU Clock                                         301 MHz
  Memory Clock                                      275 MHz

just this top part

Heres the report:

--------[ Overclock ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
  CPU Type                                          Intel Pentium 4
  CPU Alias                                         Prescott
  CPU Stepping                                      D0
  Engineering Sample                                No
  CPUID CPU Name                                    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
  CPUID Revision                                    00000F34h

CPU Speed:
  CPU Clock                                         3446.18 MHz  (original: 3400 MHz)
  CPU Multiplier                                    17.0x
  CPU FSB                                           202.72 MHz  (original: 200 MHz)
  Memory Bus                                        202.72 MHz

CPU Cache:
  L1 Trace Cache                                    12K Instructions
  L1 Data Cache                                     16 KB
  L2 Cache                                          1 MB  (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
  Motherboard ID                                    63-2500-001169-00101111-040201-I865$1I865XXX_A6728IMS V2.5 092904
  Motherboard Name                                  MSI 865PE Neo2-S (MS-6728)  (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio)

Chipset Properties:
  Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Springdale i865PE
  Memory Timings                                    3-3-3-6  (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
  PAT                                               Enabled

SPD Memory Modules:
  DIMM1: Xerox                                      512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM  (3.0-4-4-8 @ 200 MHz)  (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz)
  DIMM3: Xerox                                      512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM  (3.0-4-4-8 @ 200 MHz)  (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz)

BIOS Properties:
  System BIOS Date                                  09/29/04
  Video BIOS Date                                   11/10/04
  DMI BIOS Version                                  V2.5

Graphics Processor Properties:
  Video Adapter                                     nVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT AGP
  GPU Code Name                                     NV43GTAGP  (AGP 8x 10DE / 00F1, Rev A2)
  GPU Clock                                         501 MHz
  Memory Clock                                      450 MHz

if your overclocking set it back to defaults NOW :slight_smile: :doh:

Thats funny the thing, I’m not overclocking. :eek:
I humbly admit that I don’t even know how to overclock my system. For what I primarly use this system for I need stabilty more than speed. I did notice that the numbers seemed a tad high. Is that what’s causing the heat and possibly the turn-offs?

How do I go about changing the processor speed? Should I change it? This concerns me because I haven’t changed it that I’m aware of. I don’t think that I could accidently overclock my system could I?

Well your FSB is showing 202.72 (almost 203) should be 200 x 17 = 3400 with your current FSB (17)x 202.76 you get 3446.24. It’s no where near a big overclock and you can just go into your Bios and set it back to 200 vs 202 or 203 what ever the setting is at now. My 3.2 can run at 3.7 all day with no signs of extra heat.:slight_smile:

Alright I checked FSB setting and it says 200 in bios even though Everest says it’s a little higher. If my system isn’t overclocked then the question remains as to why my system is over-heating to the point that it shuts itself off. I left speedfan in my system tray and noticed that when I’m working the temp climbs to about 160 - 165 but when the system is idle it goes down to around 120 - 130. UNtil my CPU fan gets here is there anything I can do to bring down the temp?

Well 121 degrees F is 49.4 degrees C which is a pretty normal (but still needs more cooling) temp for a Prescott chip with a standard CPU fan, I really dont think that the CPU is too hot but I would like to know where that 241 degrees F is comming from. Can you download PC Wizard here and tell us what the temps say or post a screen shot.

EDIT: Also with this app you can minimize it to your task bar and it will display current CPU temp, load and speed in the upper right hand corner of your screen, so if you could load up your PC and tell us what the max CPU temp you get would be helpful.:wink:

Ah!

Nothing like Watercooling running tru my PC…

Mr. McBane:

Did you try a radical aproch, by install the Plextor in a friend computer?

Did you try, also, install ASPI drivers?

About your format…

Did you:

1º Install SO
2º Install Directx 9.0c
3º Install Nvidia/ATi drivers
4º Install Sound Drivers

Use this order, in a Windows fresh instalation.
Also i dont advise install SP2, but that is a personal point of view…

Good luck!