Plextor 716SA and BSOD issues

vbimport

I have the DFI NF3 Ultra-D (939) mobo and a Plextor 716SA DVD burner drive and almost everytime, (8 out of 10) I put a blank disc into the drive my system gets the BSOD. The error messages from microsoft indicates that’s its the antivirus but that is bull, it does it with our without the antivirus enabled. It only happens when the drive tries to read a blank disc but not everytime, usually 80% to 90% of the time.

Trouble shooting I’ve already tried:
Double checked the blank discs: I have placed these same blank discs into other PCs and the DVD drive will read them fine, even though they are blank.
Cableing: I have already replaced the Sata cable which made no difference.
Firmware: I just this morning tried going back to a previous version of the firmware, from 1.11 to 1.09, no help.
Driver: No special drivers installed, uses Windows native drivers.

Here is what the Plextor specifications say: Interface Serial ATA 1.0 (Generation 1). Must support ATAPI command set.

How can I determine if my mobo supports ATAPI command set? The specs don’t say anything like this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
bbusbee

Welcome to CDFreaks.

What kind of Windows? 2000, XP, Vista, other?
What software? Plextools?

AFAIK NF3 does support ATAPI.

These might be helpful:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f43/nforce3-ms-ide-driver-plextool-detection-problem-100582/
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f43/sata-v-s-ide-atapi-178502/

WindowXP SP2,
As for the software, it doesn’t matter because it will do it without me using any media software, simply putting a blank disc in the drive will cause the BSOD, most of the time. But it will crash sometimes using Realplayer ver 11 and Nero.
I don’t use Plextools for anything. If I’m using the Sata drive am I still using the ATAPI? That is something that confuses me.

[QUOTE=bbusbee;2048927]As for the software, it doesn’t matter because it will do it without me using any media software, simply putting a blank disc in the drive will cause the BSOD, most of the time.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the first test then should be to run the integrated self-test of the drive. You’ll find how to do so in the manual or on the FAQ here (see sticky threads).

[QUOTE=bbusbee;2048927]If I’m using the Sata drive am I still using the ATAPI? That is something that confuses me.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Very basically you can understand ATAPI as being the optical disc drive command set that is used over the P-ATA or S-ATA interface. It’s because early S-ATA solutions were only built with HDDs in mind that the implementation of ATAPI was often omited and thus optical drives didn’t work.

See (a bit old but still valid): http://ata-atapi.com/hiwfaq.htm#T8

[LEFT]I may have found the answer to my problem. Going through the owners manual I found this:
[B]“Set the PX-716SA DMA Jumper[/B]
Your PX-716SA ships from the factory with no DMA jumper installed.
(The pins are empty.) The empty pins mean the drive is set to Ultra
DMA. This setting should work in most cases, so you don’t have to do
anything more.
With some personal computers that do not have an embedded non-RAID
Serial ATA chipset, the computer may “hang” or crash with the PX-
716SA installed. If this happens, change the PX-716SA to multiword
DMA mode by installing the spare jumper across the two DMA jumper
pins.
[B][I]Figure 20: Add the PX-716SA DMA jumper if you need to change[/I][/B]
[I][B]from Ultra DMA (default) to multiword DMA[/B][/I]
Adding the jumper also configures the PX-716SA for self-test. See
“Using the PX-716SA Self-Test Diagnostics” on page 104 for more
details.”[/LEFT]

I will do this tonight and report back tomorrow.

Did not help, still need help.

Thanks

Presently my Plextor drive is connected to the #4 Sata port on the mobo, which according to the manual if I’m reading it right, is supported by the nForce 3 Ultra chipset. The Plextor manual says that the data interface needs to support the ATAPI Command set; so the question becomes does the nForce 3 Ultra chipset support the ATAPI Command set? I went to the Nvidia website and viewed the information for nForce 3 and did not see anything that indicated this support. I submitted a question to their tech support anyway so we will see.

Am I off base here or am I on the right track?

Hi,

Sorry, I know nothing about the ATAPI Command Set, but never had a BSOD either with my 716SA (nor 760SA) on my nForce3 Ultra mobo (MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum). Attached is a 16X burn simulation with CDSpeed.

Are you using the latest BIOS for your board? Are you sure RAID is [U]disabled[/U] for the nForce3 SATA ports (SATA3 & SATA4)?

Cressida,
The screen capture indicates that it is the 716A not the 716SA, so do you have the Sata version or the IDE version? If you have the Sata version which Sata port on your mobo is it connected too?

Thanks
BBusbee

Windows and most apps identify a 716SA as a 716A; only PlexTools will show it as a 716SA.

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2049601]Windows and most apps identify a 716SA as a 716A; only PlexTools will show it as a 716SA.[/QUOTE]Same with the 760SA?

Yeah, it’s the same with the 760SA.

Yes, it’s definitely a 716SA showing the burn sim, [B]bbusbee[/B] :). My board has four nForce3 SATA ports and the hard drive is on SATA1, optical drive on SATA2, while SATA3 & 4 are disabled in BIOS. I’ve also tested the optical drive on SATA3 with the same result in the past.

Could be a hardware thing with your DFI mobo of course, but maybe you have a software conflict/problem somewhere anyway. You could try uninstalling everything burner related and then run some basic tests with CDSpeed. Or go all the way with a clean XP install of course…

Update,
I’ve tried moving it to my Secondary IDE port using a Sata to IDE Converter card and I still get the BSOD. The system will boot fine and work normal as usual until I go to insert a CD Rom, then BSOD. Not sure if I have to change any other settings in the BIOS. Any ideas? I even tried bringing all my clock settings back to stock just in case the overclock had any affect, still BSOD.

This sounds more and more like a software issue to me. Does your system boot from a bootable CD and DVD? That would be a good indication that all is well with the hardware and the problem is software. Try running a Linux Live-CD/DVD.

Again, in my experience, there’s nothing intrinsically wrong with the nForce3-PlextorSA combination, using the standard XP SATA driver (I can’t vouch for the 810SA, cause that’s a rebadged Pioneer).

Cressida,
Would it help if I posted the Minidump log file here if anyone cared to interpret it?

You can always try. I have no experience with that myself though.