Plextor 716A died after a year

vbimport

Well I got a year out of my Plextor 716A burner before it took a dump. Paid $130 dollars for it. :a Called Plextor for support but had to do this unreal test to find out if it was the burner or not. I didnt even bother, so instead I jumped on the net and found another burner. After reading nothing but good things about NEC, so I went ahead and bought one. Worked right out of the box! I was up and back in business again. :clap: :clap: I didnt even have to pay $130 dollars, instead I only had to pay $41 dollars for my new NEC burner. :eek: I wont “NEVER” buy anther plextor long as I live!!

The 716A hasn’t been out a full year yet. Maybe you need to look at the date again. or are you talking about the 712A

If I remember correctly, PX-716A was first out in the US at the end of October 2004.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=111839

So? Your Plextor also worked right out of the box, didn’t it? Who’s to say your NEC won’t die after one week? Nobody, but thanks for your contribution :eek:

And how is that supposed to be better than having to pay a fraction of that for returning the drive to Plextor and getting a new one? It has even been reported that Plextor sometimes doesn’t ask for the defective drive to be returned. So you stood a chance to get a replacement entirely free but preferred spending $41 instead of doing a self test? :confused:

Some people just don’t recognise good service even if you hit them right in the face with it. :disagree:

He ignored help given in another thread and it sounds like he ignored Plextor tech support trying to walk him through the self-test. Yes, I think “ignore” is the operative word here…

I wonder if he’s aware that he saved Plextor a ton of money by not following through on a likely RMA? :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you fanboys ever think for a second that Plextor was giving him a runaround technique? They tried the same crap with me and my 708 (which after RMA failed again).

Oh but they fixed the problems with the 712. And they fixed the 712 problems with the 716.

Why is it that I see 100 faulty Plextor posts a day? And please don’t tell me “people only post when they have problems.”

Plextor used to be the best, now they are junk. I used to be happy with them just like all of you, but now you have to play the odds game when you buy one. I honestly believe the day of solid hardware from Plextor has come and gone. And now they even have the nerve to jack up all of the prices on us.

Why are all of you so “loyal” to them anyway? You’d think you all work for the company! They are the ones that have your money!

I’m not trying to be antagonistic. I don’t mean to offend anyone on this thread – please don’t take it that way. I just happen to agree with the original poster. And coincidentally, I too am happy with my NEC 3520a.

Rubix³ Wrote:

Why is it that I see 100 faulty Plextor posts a day? And please don’t tell me “people only post when they have problems.”

Also stated:

And coincidentally, I too am happy with my NEC 3520a.

I was wondering have you posted in the NEC forum how well your 3520 works? If not then you are a perfect example of people only posting when they have a problem.

The original poster said:

The diagnostic self-test is a little complicated and it sounds like they were trying to walk Mr. topgun68 through it. Why he chose not to do it is for him to explain.

Oh but they fixed the problems with the 712. And they fixed the 712 problems with the 716.

Hardly … you couldn’t get me to trade my 712 for a 716 under any circumstances.

Hyperbole, waste of time answering.

Why are all of you so “loyal” to them anyway? You’d think you all work for the company! They are the ones that have your money!

Considering that Plextor would probably like to tar and feather me for my many highly unfavourable remarks made here about their rebadge and “flagship” drives (I’m sure the boycott of their products I called for figures into it as well), well, it’s a testament to how little you actually read this forum. You can start <a href=“http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=138579” target="_blank">here</a>

I’m not trying to be antagonistic. I don’t mean to offend anyone on this thread – please don’t take it that way. I just happen to agree with the original poster. And coincidentally, I too am happy with my NEC 3520a.

The original poster was offered help here and also apparently by Plextor, and ignored it both times. He just wanted to rant at someone because he was upset his expensive DVD burner asploded. Obviously one of those people with problems you don’t want to hear about.

FanboyToPlextor1020

Of course not. Despite having a NEC he preferred coming over here to complain how bad Plextor drives are. :bigsmile:

Out of curiosity, which of the other manufacturers have a diagnostic that can be run independently of the 'puter?

Well in my opinion my Nec 3520 isn’t even in the same league as the Plextors, mind you my Plextor still works.:rolleyes: :stuck_out_tongue:
O/T
@ftp1020. CFL Football!! Your Hamilton Tiger Cats @ My British Columbia Lions. Should be a good cat fight tonight.:bigsmile:

You don’t like your 3520? My impression was that the 35xx and the BenQ 16xx (tho not 1625) were “nec and nec” (pun intended) quality-wise.

Best team in the league vs. the worst. Yah. Sure. Really looking forward to it. :o

Hehe. My Nec likes about 3 medias and thats it, guess it’s like the Ford vs Chevy thing Honda, Toyota. I certainly don’t think it’s in the same class. BC is due to lose and Hamilton is due to win so it will most likely happen tonight.:doh:

I stopped in this forum because I haven’t been here since I ditched my last Plextor. I was actually heading for the NEC firmware section, but my favorites linked me directly to the Plextor forum & I noticed this thread. I didn’t come here to complain.

All your “mobilizing the masses” vs Plextor post that I was supposed to notice (from January…) proved to me was that you remain a fanboy to a company that’s stiffed you. Don’t you see something a bit wrong with that? Also, why on earth do you think they’d even entertain the notion of being angry at you - you said yourself that they don’t bother reading a damn thing you send them. ?

I think I’ve proven the “abused girlfriend who won’t leave” scenario.

As to posting about my 3520 working - I admit I haven’t, but by the passion in which you all speak of your Plextors, I’d assume you post every single time you have a successful burn.

All I did was insult Plextor. An insult they’ll never see. Yet you all act like I’ve discounted the mass of your manhood.

For a clearer view of a hyperbole, view the post above me. 3 medias. It probably gives this guy conscious pleasure to SLAVE his NEC to his Plextor.

I remember when I talked to Plextor about my first (of 3) 708s. Once I told them the TLA#, they had me send it back immediately & they sent me a new one. I don’t look at this as good customer care - it’s a NEW company that produced an unquestionable piece of garbage.

You’re fanatical, I’ll give you that. And you’re amongst the lucky to have working Plextors. I’ve bought & installed over 7 NECs (at that exquisite price…) on different machines in the last 2 months and they’ve all worked like a charm. Those are odds the new Plextor will never match.

Well, for someone who didn’t want to cause offence you’re certainly quick to toss the epithets & insults about.

OK, have it your way. And ker-plonk.

Actually My Nec is Primary Master.:slight_smile: Like I said earlier My Nec 3520 is not in the same class as My Plextor if you look at this Nec 3520 Scan thread you will see what I am talking about. Just my opinion but the Plextor and BenQ’s are a better burner overall. You are entitled to your opinion and we are entitled to ours.:iagree:

To HWP, GAME GREAK, and FTP1020,

I realize we all paid $130 dollars for the Plextor 716A, which I kick my self in the butt for doing. Yes the Plextor worked great out of the box, only if it likes the media i buy. I only found 1 batch of Fuji that worked with it and it was Fuji DVD+R 8x with 100 blank disc pack. Well that batch lasted me 7 months, so I went out seeking more Fuji, but once i tried to use them I had nothing but coasters. I found out later they change the chemical texture or something to the newer Fuji disc. So it wouldnt work with my Plextor. So I went out and bought Sony DVD+R 8x, still no luck. So i bought Verbatim DVD+R 16x and still no luck. The same thing with Memorex and Maxwell. AND YES I HAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE INSTALLED. So I called up Plextor and they wanted me to do this unreal troubleshooting crap. I would have but after reading all the complaints in the Plextor forum about guys returning their Plextor after getting a RMA number from them, they had to send back their plextor 2 or 3 times untill they get one that works. So I figured instead pissing around without having a working burner for the next 2 or 3 month, i would just go out and buy a new DVD burner at a faction of the price. If you ask me $41 dollars for a new NEC 3540A OEM burner was a steal! What made me buy that brand and model was due to the review http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/214 posted by someone high up on this site. He gave it very high marks. So far my new NEC has burned every brand of media that didnt work on my Plextor. Not really sure why you guys got so offended when I decided not to go the RMA route of shipping the burner back to Plextor and sit around for a week or two until the replacement comes, only to find out that it didnt work and call tech back up and spend another hour on the phone trying to get another RMA number so i can return the Plextor that was suppose to work.

That is understandable, but why don’t you RMA it anyways. You stand a good chance of getting a good one as they are shipping TLA 308 which seems to be getting less reports of DOA and RMA. There is some but it seems less frequent with TLA 308. :slight_smile:

From what I’ve seen here, and especially the initial reviews, I don’t think the 716 measures up. The NECs and the BenQs can burn a variety of 16x media at 16x and do it with good quality. I don’t understand why the 716 has a problem with this, and they still have a problem with it. For those reasons, I never got one and I’m sorry you got eventually failed.

Yes the Plextor worked great out of the box

My 712 didn’t. POFs (coasters) on top quality media. I RMA’d it about a month after I got it. Total turnaround time between me sending it in and getting the replacement was 5 days. And it works.

only if it likes the media i buy. I only found 1 batch of Fuji that worked with it and it was Fuji DVD+R 8x with 100 blank disc pack. Well that batch lasted me 7 months, so I went out seeking more Fuji, but once i tried to use them I had nothing but coasters. I found out later they change the chemical texture or something to the newer Fuji disc.

It’s true … Fuji used to use Made in Japan Taiyo Yuden dyes, but now there’s a possibility you also can get Ricohjpnr02 or Prodisc dyes. They just aren’t in the same area code of top quality media that the TY stuff is.

The way to get around this, topgun68, is to buy the stuff with Taiyo Yuden’s name (branded) right on the packaging. No Maxell (might be TY, might not), no Fuji (maybe, maybe not), but get the real deal. You’ll find people in every hardware forum here who swear by TY and nothing else. It’s a pain keeping up with media codes and lot numbers and Made In Xxxxx, but unfortunately certain burners like certain media, and none like them all. You’re right that the 716 seems to be at least as picky as the competitors, which is unexpected given that it has that Autostrategy thing.

So it wouldnt work with my Plextor. So I went out and bought Sony DVD+R 8x, still no luck. So i bought Verbatim DVD+R 16x and still no luck. The same thing with Memorex and Maxwell. AND YES I HAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE INSTALLED. So I called up Plextor

Sounds reasonable so far; I would have too.

and they wanted me to do this unreal troubleshooting crap.

Yeah, the “diagnostic self-test” where you have to unplug the IDE cables, add a jumper, reboot, waste a piece of media, and wait half an hour. It really is a pain, especially in a tight case, but it runs the test absolutely independent of drivers, or Windows, or anything else that might cause trouble. If it fails, and yours sounded like it probably would, then you know for absolute certain that whatever’s wrong is with the drive, and not anything on your computer. Maybe you already knew that, but I’m sure tech support gets a lot of calls from people with all kinds of crap installed on their computers and, yes, that’s what’s causing the problem.

I would have but after reading all the complaints in the Plextor forum about guys returning their Plextor after getting a RMA number from them, they had to send back their plextor 2 or 3 times untill they get one that works. So I figured instead pissing around without having a working burner for the next 2 or 3 month,

Fair enough, but if I had done that I would have screwed myself out of what turned out to be a pretty good replacement burner. And all it cost me was $8 to ship it. Considering how much I paid for it, I was totally unwilling to just write it off. BTW, my turnaround was 5 days, not 2 months, did I mention that? :bigsmile:

I’m with crossg … considering what you paid, I’d toss in another few bucks and see what they send me. I don’t know if I’d do it a 2nd (or 5th) time, though. And I don’t know if I’d fully trust what I read here about the service. One guy was pissed off with an RMA horror story and started a thread for others to post their horror stories … as it turns out, most of the stories were positive (click <a href=“http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=136288&highlight=experiences” target="_blank">here</a>. But it is true that Plextor USA seemed to have the most problems.

i would just go out and buy a new DVD burner at a faction of the price. If you ask me $41 dollars for a new NEC 3540A OEM burner was a steal! What made me buy that brand and model was due to the review http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/214 posted by someone high up on this site. He gave it very high marks. So far my new NEC has burned every brand of media that didnt work on my Plextor.

I’m looking at the NEC3540 pr BenQ 1640 for my next one…seems Pioneer still have problems with their new 110 drive.

Not really sure why you guys got so offended

Not offended, I just feel if you pay for extra you should get extra.