Plextor 716 external performance question

vbimport

I bought the external 716 today, and I was able to burn about 4.7gigs of data to a dvd+r in about 10 minutes.

When I tried to rip a normal CD using iTunes, I was only getting about 9.x speed, what is up with that? This burner has a 48x CD ripping speed, so shouldn’t it be higher? Is it iTunes that limits this? What program will give me the higher speeds? I am linked with firewire, btw.

rondocap, I would test the drive using Nero CD/DVD Speed create data disk (press F9 key) and then do the Transfer Rate test (F2 key). Please show us the graphs. Then we can judge from there.

You can download Nero CD Speed here: http://www.cdspeed2000.com (freeware).

Plextor Forum folks this is what I sent to Newbie forum earlier this week. I am new to DVD burning with lots of prior success in CD burining.
I have a new PX 716UF dual format dvd burner, Dell 4600C w/ 512 MB RAM and 40GB hard drive + a Western Digital 160 GB USB External Hard Drive (I’m using all it’s space for ripped dvd’s and DVD burning software) I have a DVD player in the Dell that I copy from. I want to play my copied DVD’S on a stand alone Panasonic PV9451 (it supports MPEG2 DVD’s) and is only 2 years old
I am trying to back up my DVD movies, I have so much trouble with that, that I haven’t yet had the chance to try much else. first thank all of you for your suggestions.
Now some more specifics: I am doing ok with decrypting and ripping to my HD. I am using the Freewar Decrypter 3.2 for this. After ripping with decrypter, I can open these; all the titles or chapters (whichever) are labeled Nero Showtime File–they are opened by and play on Nero showtime (it doesn’t look like Windows Media Player will open them)–does that tell us anything about this problem? I think this is the way they wound up as a result of the decprytion process in Decryptor 3.2.
The problem is in getting the DVD from the HD burned to disc. Could it be: 1. the Plextor 716Uh–is there some obscure setting or driver problem? I’ve looked at bitrate and I think I have that right. 2. Could it be to do with Nero Recode 2 or am I using the wrong Nero program (I have 6 ultra with the upgrade to 6.3). I believe that Decryptor defaults to use Nero Recode 2. I also have the Roxio software that came with the Plextor, but the opnions on these boards all seem to favor Nero–so I haven’t loaded Roxio’s DVD writing software except for the Plex Tools Pro (also upgraded week before last). There is also the Windows stuff that is part to the new Widows Media Player 9 upgrade. Could it be the meda Fujifilm DVD-R? I have lost of software and just too many variables here for sure. I need help. I’ve been at this for over a week BB and Plextor aren’t going to be of any help. Out of deperation I found a good dealProfed@aol.com on 1 click DVD Copy on E-bay las night and it is on the way. can anyone offer any help on this cold Montana night?

Edd, welcome to plextor forum. I would strongly suggest you try DVD Shrink (freeware).

• Rip and shrink your movie with DVD Shrink to HD as ISO file.
  • Burn the ISO file to 716UF with DVD Decrypter.

Let us know if you need more details.

You’re trying to do too much at once. Try ripping to the hard drive on the computer, not the external hard drive. Or at least copy your files from external hard drive to the PC’s internal hard drive, and burn to the Plextor from there.

Don’t use the external hard drive and the PX-716UF together at the same time! It’s too much USB traffic. Don’t try to copy from the external hard drive to the Plextor. Use Nero Burning Rom, not Recode, I think.

I would recommend you also follow zevia’s method above.

a question about this method :

• Rip and shrink your movie with DVD Shrink to HD as ISO file.
  • Burn the ISO file to 716UF with DVD Decrypter.

Is it more efficient then first ripping the movie with decrypter then using shrink to shrink the DVD and the burn it with nero option?

Yes that is more efficient. Thanks.

However, most of the time I rip two movies simultaneously, so that’s why I use the other methods.

out of sheer curiosity, how is it more efficient?

Thanks for the reply

out of sheer curiosity, how is it more efficient?

because sometimes DVD SHRINK will have errors in reading the disc…using DECRYPTER to rip to your hard drive in FILE MODE can sometimes overcome read errors where DVD SHRINK may not be able to…especially now with sony/columbia released dvd movies they have bogus vob files which will result in read errors or failure to rip at all…there is a newer version of DVD DECRYPTER out…some have used VOB BLANKER to rip sony/columbia dvd movies because DVD SHRINK & DECRYPTER the version before 3.5.2.0 could not rip movies like RESIDENT EVIL APOCALYPSE & THE LITTLE BLACKBOOK…although with the latest DECRYPTER 3.5.2.0 some were able to rip it.

i would suggest you check out www.videohelp.com to learn about backing up your dvd movies. it’s a great site with many different guides to help you learn about dvd burning…they have a world of knowledge at that website and join their forum if you want to post questions… :wink:

[b]PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARDS[b]

Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

I’ve been burning DVDs for over a year and have been using the DVD Decryptor then Shrink method…so I was curious if the process would be more efficient or faster using the method zevia described.

I did a Nero CD/DVD speed test, the average speed was 30.x. and the highest was about 40.x. This was done with some programs running in the background, so the real speed could be faster.

Now, why am I only getting 9.x when ripping a cd? Is it possibly iTunes or the other programs ive tried? Or what am I doing wrong?

Also, I burned a music CD of about 80 minutes at 40.x, with powerrec enabled. Where do I go to disable powerREc, and would that bring my speeds up to 48x?

I still can’t rip a music CD very fast though…what gives?

I cant rip audio cds with my px716 fast too.

Some suggestions?
Is it a special plextor technique that slows down the ripping speed?

Did you try to rip using Plextools Pro?

ET

Could it be that via iTunes you’re directly converting your ripped files to MP3 or a similar format? I don’t know how fast your system is but converting directly to MP3 could cause your CPU to be fully loaded and slowing down the ripping process. Also, as ET suggested try ripping via PlexTools. It’s superb when it comes to DAE and Plextor drives.

Yes, I was ripping directly to mp3. I tried via plex tools as well, and it wasn’t going much faster.

How long should a 80 minute music CD be ripped in MP3 at 48x, at a 320 bit rate?

Impossible to say since it completely depends on your system. If your system is fast enough to handle on-the-fly MP3 encoding then it should’t take too long (4 minutes or something). Have you looked at your CPU load during the extracting process? If it’s hitting 100% then it will probably be the cause of your slow ripping speeds. Have you tried ripping to WAV instead to see if that speeds up the process? There could be a number of things that are causing the slow performance. Post some specs on your system so we can take a look. Also, make sure DMA is enabled for every device in your computer.