greetings cdfreaks, i just purchased the plextor px-712UF (TLA#0105) and have seen a number of random problems within the first few hours of use today.
the media i'm using is ritek dvd-r 4x inkjet
1) burned one coaster in cloneDVD
2) tried a second time in cloneDVD, this time right as it began to write, my computer (running xp-pro) shutdown and restarted without any warning.
3) attempted to do some diagnostics in alcohol 120, and when i right clicked on the plextor 712UF icon in the device window, again...system shutdown immediately and rebooted!
4) burned the same DVD project in nero (it actually completed) but then verified data, the data validation of course failed. tried to play the dvd in home dvd player w/ spotty performance, like drop outs, skipping chapters, etc
5) upgraded the firmware to the latest vesion 1.07
6) performed the self-test using the ritek DVD; this test failed giving me the double blink error which indicates initialization error (can't seem to find what exactly this error is anywhere on their website??)
7) performed the self-test with garden variety TDK cd-r; this test passed.
so, i guess i will now install the plextor diagnostic software but am already worn thin with these repeated problems. my old DVD unit pioneer dvd-rw 106 has more or less burned flawlessly..although at 2x.
did i just buy a lemon or is it the media i've been using. the random shutdown/restarts are definitely not related to the media though...any imput would be greately appreciated...sorry if this is long winded, but i thought i did some basic internet research seeing nothing but good reviews of this burner...thanks...