greetings cdfreaks, i just purchased the plextor px-712UF (TLA#0105) and have seen a number of random problems within the first few hours of use today.
the media i’m using is ritek dvd-r 4x inkjet
- burned one coaster in cloneDVD
- tried a second time in cloneDVD, this time right as it began to write, my computer (running xp-pro) shutdown and restarted without any warning.
- attempted to do some diagnostics in alcohol 120, and when i right clicked on the plextor 712UF icon in the device window, again…system shutdown immediately and rebooted!
- burned the same DVD project in nero (it actually completed) but then verified data, the data validation of course failed. tried to play the dvd in home dvd player w/ spotty performance, like drop outs, skipping chapters, etc
- upgraded the firmware to the latest vesion 1.07
- performed the self-test using the ritek DVD; this test failed giving me the double blink error which indicates initialization error (can’t seem to find what exactly this error is anywhere on their website??)
- performed the self-test with garden variety TDK cd-r; this test passed.
so, i guess i will now install the plextor diagnostic software but am already worn thin with these repeated problems. my old DVD unit pioneer dvd-rw 106 has more or less burned flawlessly…although at 2x.
did i just buy a lemon or is it the media i’ve been using. the random shutdown/restarts are definitely not related to the media though…any imput would be greately appreciated…sorry if this is long winded, but i thought i did some basic internet research seeing nothing but good reviews of this burner…thanks…