Plextor 712UF and EAC weirdness

Hi,

I’m running windows 2000 and EAC V0.95 prebeta 5 from 8.

The weird thing is that EAC will recognize my LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163 on Adapter: 1 ID:0 but it simply cannot see my Plextor.

Plextools sees it, I can see the Plextor in “My Computer”, but I cannot get EAC to even point at it.

I was planning on using EAC to rip my CDs to FLAC, then use something (Foobar?) to encode them as MP3s. Is there a way I can do these things in plextools and avoid EAC altogether?

Another oddity, when I first started fooling around with EAC, I installed and configured following Chris Myden’s instructions before I got my Plextor. I later decided to go through the tutorial at the Coaster Factory (after I purchased my Plextor) to try to learn a bit more about the settings in EAC.

The funny thing is, I uninstalled EAC, downloaded the Zip for (EAC V0.95 prebeta 5 from 8) and when I unzipped the package, an EAC icon appeared in the unzipped destination. So, it appeared as if I had “installed” EAC by just unzipping?

BUT

The profile that I loaded a la Chris Myden was still there under Program Files ->ExactAudioCopy -> profiles

Any advice would be appreciated…

Thanks,

What SCSI Interface do you use in the EAC general options, ASPI or native Win32? Since the Plextor PX-712UF is an external USB drive, it may be wise to test the native win32 interface and see if your drive is recognised (restart EAC after changing this setting). If not, EAC may still not be fully compatible to external drives yet. I can’t confirm this, since I don’t have any external drives.

Another thing: Why do you want to rip your CDs to FLAC fiirst, and then to mp3? Why not ripping to mp3 directly (temporarily ripping to .wav (uncompressed), while LAME compresses the files to mp3 and deletes the temporary file afterwards)? Your approach will take longer, and it won’t improve the quality either. Although FLAC is a lossless compression format, it can’t have better quality than uncompressed wav files in principle (the quality is the same).

If EAC does not work with your drive, Plextools is a very good alternative also. Plextools is especially useful for ripping protected audio CDs. Plextools can rip to mp3 directly as well, and the newer versions support external codecs like LAME also. Furthermore, you can use Monkey’s Audio, an alternative (free) lossless audio compression format, with the newest Plextools 2.17. So if you want to rip your CDs to a lossless compression format (albeit not FLAC), you can do it with Plextools also.

Hi Packetloss,

Thanks for the reply!

I tried flipping between ASPI or native Win32, but that didn’t work.

My plan included FLAC as I wanted a lossless format for archival purposes. I only want to have to rip once. Who knows, later, maybe storage will be so cheap, I can then just use these lossless files? In the mean time, I’ll recode another version as lossy… It kinda sucks, but I have an iRiver which doesn’t play any lossless format.

I know very little about the lossless codecs though… I was under the impression that FLAC had better tag support (but I could be wrong). Also, how do Monkey’s Audio and FLAC compare? Is one better than the other?

Thanks, again for your input. As you may imagine, I’m looking at this shiny new Plextor and feeling a bit bummed about not being able to use the kick A** EAC. If Plextools is just as good however, and Monkey’s Audio is fine, then I guess I’m OK.

I’m just trying to read up and not make mistakes when ripping over 100 CDs!!!

Regards,

BTO

If both interfaces in EAC don’t work for you, you could try an alternative approach. Download the Nero “wnaspi32.dll” from here and copy it to your “Windows\System32” folder (“WinNT\System32” if you use Win2k / WinNT) overwriting the wnaspi32.dll file there (make a backup first!). Alternatively, you can copy the file over from your “Ahead\Nero” folder if you have Nero installed already. Reboot windows afterwards. Finally, choose the ASPI interface in EAC, restart it and see if your drive is recognised.

The trick here is that Nero’s ASPI dll supports external drives (otherwise you could not use external burners with Nero), while the standard Adaptec one doesn’t.

After explaining your plan, it actually makes sense to me, and I agree with you. If space is no issue, using lossless compression makes a lot of sense, especially if you are going to work (edit, compress etc.) with the files later.

Monkey’s Audio and FLAC are very similar as far as compression rates are concerned, Monkey’s Audio is a bit faster even. Both are very good choices, and Monkey’s APE tags are more than sufficient, so don’t worry about that. If EAC should still not work after you applied that little “hack” as explained above, Plextools in combination with Monkey’s Audio is a very good alternative also.

Hi BTO, welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Plextools is also a very good alternative, and Monkey’s Audio is also a valid lossless encoder…
However I am pretty sure that you will be able to use EAC with your 712UF following the “Nero ASPI trick” that packetloss told you.

A small remark: you can copy the wnaspi32.dll file to EAC’s main directory, instead of putting it in Windows’ system folder.
In this way you will minimize the risk of “side-effects” with other programs.

Good luck, :wink:

ET

Woo Hoo!

I finally got it to work!!!

I ended up going with

>Download the Nero “wnaspi32.dll” from here and copy it to >your “Windows\System32” folder (“WinNT\System32” if you use Win2k / >WinNT)

As copying the .dll to the EAC directory did not work.

I also uninstalled, the “Chris Myden” EAC version (EAC09_B4) and installed the current build (eac095pb5.zip) which was able to detect my plextor.

I noticed that even though I had “uninstalled” the “Chris Myden” EAC version (EAC09_B4), there was still an Exact Audio Copy directory + files under Programs. [I had installed the eac095pb5.zip to a new folder on my desktop].

Is there a better way to ensure that ALL PREVIOUS VERSIONS of EAC are uninstalled and start a new with the eac095pb5.zip build?

I have read that deleting the EAC registry keys is a good idea, but I have no idea how to do this.

Thanks again for all your help!!

I’m not worthy!!! :bow:

BTO

Glad that you fixed it out! :slight_smile:

However, it is really strange that copying WNASPI32.DLL (and of course selecting the external ASPI interface in the program) does not work… :rolleyes: :confused:

Regards,

ET

You can delete the older folder. EAC has no installation routine, you just unpack it in a folder of your choice and start it. To delete the old registry entries, you have to start a registry editor (e.g. regedit) and delete the EAC entries. But you can do more harm than good if you are not 100% sure what you are doing, that’s why you should leave it at that if EAC works for you now (EAC doesn’t spam your registry with lots of entries anyway).