Plextor 712SA Purchase Query

vbimport

My Pioneer 107 has finally died (constant Power Calibration errors), won’t read some pre-burnt DVDs etc etc. Not keen on 109, and new NEC 3540 doesn’t seem to come out that well… so was considering paying a bit more and going for a Plextor.

Would I be right in thinking that if I don’t want D/L a 712 - would be a better option than a 716 - quality wise ?

The 712 is around 15 pounds cheaper here in the UK.

Also - I have P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard - I have 2 drives in SATA RAID 0 on the 2 main SATA connections - could I use the 712SA on one of the SATA connections for the Promise controller - or is the Promise controller RAID only ? I’ve checked through the manual and it’s not clear one way or the other.

Thanks for any help,

Mark.

Also - I have P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard - I have 2 drives in SATA RAID 0 on the 2 main SATA connections - could I use the 712SA on one of the SATA connections for the Promise controller - or is the Promise controller RAID only ? I’ve checked through the manual and it’s not clear one way or the other.

This part of your question I can help with. The Promise S ATA Controller also has an IDE mode which can be set in your Bios and should work if the 712 or 716 have this controller in the software to recognize the drive. Believe they have a compatibilty list on the Plextor website. If not you can change the RAID Array to the Promise controller and use the Intel S ATA controller for your drive.:slight_smile:

Crossg - thanks - I was considering the SATA version of the 712 - its the only version I can find in UK at the moment - can’t find the IDE version …

If I changed the RAID array across - would I have to loose all my data on my RAID setup on the Intel controller ?

Thanks, Mark.

Dont have a lot of experience with Raid but I change my Hard Drives (OS installed) between the Promise and Intel controllers and have no problem. I just install the Promise drivers on the Hard drive before switching. Maybe someone with a Raid set up can confirm this? :wink:

Thanks - perhaps I should just go for the IDE 716 - then it will be a straight swap.

Just concerned reading posts that the 716 may be not as good as the 712 (reading all the RMA threads !) - I’m not fussed about the price difference to be honest

Mark.

In germany is a shop, they still have the ide version 712a for 69 eur.
They’re offering shipping to UK. But i don’t know, is it worth plus
shipping costs? Here is the link alternate.de

I don’t think you have to worry too much. Even on this forum (one of the bigger ones) only a handful of people have some serious problem with either drive. There are plenty of people out there that have no problems at all with their drives and that’s why you don’t hear a peep from them :).

Having both a 712a and a 716a i think i can say they are about on par at the same burning speeds. No surprise there, since the relevant writing strategies in the firmwares are propbably very similar if not identic. Also hardware wise I can’t make out an difference in building quality. Interestingly the 716a, which ist 2 cm shorter, has the same weight than the bigger 712a (about one KG). It sure doesn’t look like plextor skimped on metal.

Careful. Yes, you would almost certainly lose all of your data! The disk controller writes all sorts of metadata onto the disks that is unlikely to be compatible between Intel and Promise. So even if you keep the raid configuration the same, I would say its very unlikely that one controller can read the raid array from another controller.

Chip

@ Chippy99. Thanks for expanding on that. Like I said I have limited experience with RAID. I know I can swap my Non Raid HDD back and forth between controllers but I wasn’t sure about Raid arrays.:slight_smile:

i know that you can switch RAID-0 arrays between a Via and Promise controller without losing data…so it’s possible…

Really? That’s the first I have heard of such a thing. Perhaps VIA (being a newcomer with their VT8237 etc) sub-licenced some Promise technology to develop their controllers.

The norm is that different manufacturer’s raid controllers will not yield compatible raid arrays.

Chip

EDIT
Crossq, I really should mention:

For god’s sake do make sure you have a full working back up before you even consider messing with your raid0 array. Your can of course try swapping your drives from one controller to another to see if it works, but your chances of losing all of your data are EXTREMELY high! Be warned.

@chippy99. Good advice. I don’t have a raid set up it was actually Buckster that asked the question and I wasn’t sure. Definitely good advice for someone thinking about switching their hard drives too different controllers.:iagree:

not sure about any relationships btw Via and Promise, but from what i recall, the process requires you to recreate the array with the controller to which the array is being moved (which would rewrite any “metadata” used) and possibly edit your boot.ini file prior to doing so. recreating an array (even on a different controller) doesn’t erase any data and is not the same as a format…but totally agree that you should make sure you’ve got AT LEAST 1 full working backup before you try any of this…

edit: here’s A WAY how to do it from Via to Promise (and there are other posts claiming success with various other controllers)…

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6532&highlight=switch+raid+array+promise