PLextor 708UF Overburn FAQS?

Hi Everybody,

My brother recently bought me the Plextor 708UF drive, and I want to know if this drive support overburning. I have Nero 6.3.25 and the info tool say that overburning it’s supported, but when I try to burn a DVD-R with extra size nero give me a “command error” (really don’t remember) and won’t let me burn the media…

The driver support overburn for CD’s, DVD or both?

Thanks A lot

My brother recently bought me the Plextor 708UF drive, and I want to know if this drive support overburning. I have Nero 6.3.25 and the info tool say that overburning it’s supported, but when I try to burn a DVD-R with extra size nero give me a “command error” (really don’t remember) and won’t let me burn the media…

It would only support overburning for CDR MEDIA not DVD MEDIA.

Actually, the Plextor can overburn DVD+R discs :slight_smile:
(not DVD-R/-RW/+RW though)

It might overburn some extra MB but regarding today’s overall media quality (especially the higher rate of physical disc errors towards the outer disc areas), I seriously doubt that using this extra capacity would be a wise choice if you store sensitive data …

Personally, I try to stay some 250 MB away from the disc’s nominal capacity limit for data backups … I don’t want to make the same mistake that I made with CDR media some years ago. But this is just my rather conservative approach towards DVD writing in general.

I frequently burn up to 4550 MB with my 708 to RICOHJPN R02. It always works and I never had an error about that. :slight_smile:

Yes, Plextor and RICOHJPN is a good combo. Use these discs myself too without a problem (4x DVD+R discs, burn them at 8x).