Plextor 708a with 1.02 firmware

I just bought a Plextor 708a with firmware 1.02. I bought a few different types of disc , but the Sony DVD-R DMR47A does not burn. It gives me disc is not writable, please insert an empty compatible disc. The same data I tired to burn on the DVD-R’s burns great on the DVD+R (Intenso). I am alittle nervous about this because of the new firmware (came with the unit - 1.02) and the DVD-R not be recognized. Is there anyone that had a bad batch of SONY DVD-R disc or are the Sony disc problematic anyway??? Thanks for any feedback!

Hm, I have some problems with Sony DVD+RW media (Ricoh) and Plextor PX-708A FW 1.01. Reading speed drops from 7-8x to 3x at the end of every Sony DVD+RW media (tested also with several DVD readers). But Sony DVD+R, both 2,4 and 4x work wothout a single problem. Didn’t work with DVD-R, but, according to some other posts here IMHO Sony media is not so Plextor friendly.

The new firmware may be found here:
http://www.plextor.co.jp/support/firmware/PX708A_102.exe

I’ve also tried using the Sony DVD-R DMR47 with px-708a 1.01 and they weren’t even recognised at all - the orange light on the drive didn’t turn green. I’ve previously burnt these disks with a Sony DRU-510a 1.0c and tested them after burning with k probe and found them to be very good.

I think the drive doesn’t like dvd-r discs. dvd+r disks that were $1 on ebay were fine…

with the 1.02 firmware the sony dvd+rw has a very great nero cd speed test!!very fine!

Originally posted by konsolen
with the 1.02 firmware the sony dvd+rw has a very great nero cd speed test!!very fine!

Good news…i hope this firmware has a real improvement.
it looks like i’ll flash my drive soon…

Checking the firmware it looks like Plextor has added support for media with mfr ID:
“DDDessauV10” (Digital Disc Dessau 2.4x DVD+R)
“YUDEN000T02” (Taiyo Yuden 8x? DVD+R)
“DDD DVDR” (Digital Disc Dessau 1x/2x DVD-R)
“FORNEX101” (Fornex ?x DVD-R)
“PVCW00V00245” (Pioneer 2x DVD-RW)

Few minutes ago received response from Plextor support according to my problems with Sony DVD+RW media read slowdown at the end of media (write problems above 4 Gb). They send me firmware 1.02 attached. But they did not wrote what’s new, only note that it contains a lot of improvements. Now I am testing it with Sony DVD+RW, burning is somewhere around 52%. Will report my observations.

Well, just finished testing, Sony DVD+RW 2,4x, Nero 6.0.0.19, FW 1.02. Speed drops are still here :frowning: Somewhere around 4 Gb point speed drops to 3x according to Nero CD-DVD Speed. Verbatim and Memorex DVD+RW works great now.

hI,

Just a dumb question. I am having trouble “fast reading/ripping” a dvd using the 3sec button push technique. It says can’t read due to dvd being copy protected. So I am religated to a 42+ min read/rip. This is a US version. Can I safely upgrade to F/W 1.02 on a US version 708a ?

Thanks

Tom

Cape Cod

Yes You can.

The Firmwareupdate 1.02 for the Plex 708A is now also available from the European Website (www.plextor.be).

And yes, the “japanese” and the “european” file are completely identical!

Greetz,
Moonstar

I just sent an email to Plextor Support in the US asking if I could use the 1.02 firmware on the Japan & Euro sites and got this reply:

Please don’t install any firmware updates that are not on the Plextor America site. We need to check that it works properly with our software bundle, etc, before it’s released.

Plextor America Support Team - Jack

========
Everything on my machine is working right now, so I’m going to wait til it’s officially release on US site.

Well that’s basically a load of cr@p in my opinion since the Plextor Europe/Japan/US firmware versions have always been the same. Just look at the file sizes. The European and Japanese PX-708A firmware 1.02 are both exactly 645 kB (660.644 bytes) in size. Plextor America is just always last to update their firmwares it seems.

Originally posted by jfkeenan
[B]I just sent an email to Plextor Support in the US asking if I could use the 1.02 firmware on the Japan & Euro sites and got this reply:

Please don’t install any firmware updates that are not on the Plextor America site. We need to check that it works properly with our software bundle, etc, before it’s released.

Plextor America Support Team - Jack

========
Everything on my machine is working right now, so I’m going to wait til it’s officially release on US site. [/B]

That’s strange because the U.S. Tech, I talked to over the phone told me, "All Plextor PX-708a (US and Europe) are the same drive. Only Difference is Europe has Plextools Software and US has Roxio’s EZCD 6 software. He claimed software difference is market requests. I installed new Firmware on my US PX-708A. No, Problems here.

Just my 2 cents.

New PX-708a Owner,
Paul

Thanks for the feedback. I’m going to install it too.