Plextor 708A problems!

vbimport

I just started having some issues with my Plextor 708A, it had worked fine when I got it a few months ago and now it takes about 45mins+ to burn a dvd-r and now I can’t even burn cd-r’s after the other day. I haven’t tried a dvd-r since the cd-r failed but I think that it would do the same.

I tried doing the DMA trick that I had found here and even doing the registry edits and none of them worked and I ended uyp having some problem with my system and having to restore it with a backup I made. I says that it’s in PIO mode only and if I change it to DMA it won’t read any disc and just spins up and eventually will switch back to PIO.

Does anyone have any thoughts as what to do??

Oh yeah using Win XP SP1 and firmware V1.08

Welcome, InvisSoul!

I suggest running the PX-708A self-test diagnostics with a piece of Plextor recommended media, as described in the manual. This should help you determine whether the fault is in the PX-708A, or something else within your system may have malfunctioned. If the self-test fails with Plextor recommended media it’s a pretty clear-cut case of drive failure.

Transfer mode switching back to PIO is not a good sign. Other than your PX-708A being suspect, try checking your IDE cables. Also, post some more information about your system: motherboard/chipset names, how your HDD and PX-708A drives are connected to the IDE bus, what CD/DVD burning software are installed, etc.

Well I did do a test the other day with Sony media and it went fine, I know thats not a recommended company but I had it handy.

I have Asus A7V600, VIA KT600 (Northbridge) and VIA VT8237 (Southbridge) chipsets. I originally had my dvd drive as master on the second ide and a HDD as slave, then I switched them around so the dvd was slave and the HDD master but no change and it’s a brand new cable ATA-133.

I have Nero 6.3.1.20 and dvd decrypter installed.

XP dropping down from UDMA to PIO is a sign that Windoze has detected too (CRC?) many errors coming through the IDE channel and is “downshifting” to a more stable transfer rate. The fact it takes so long to burn is either indicative of either the problem, or the fact that PIO is now the new default transfer method/rate.

By “registry tricks” did you mean fooling Windoze into forgetting about the downshift? I’m pretty sure I read about something very similar in the BenQ forum … try a search on “PIO” there. Sorry I can’t be more help than that.

do the self diagonostic test…make sure you’re using the latest via chipset drivers…set the 708A to secondary master…

check out this link ENABLING DMA MODE IN XP with pictures:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7625

check out this link on PROBLEMS ENABLING DMA IN XP:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6645

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER430 WATT
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARD

I saw something fishy in our “708 Guru” sig… :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I saw something fishy in our “708 Guru” sig…

:smiley: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Have you tried connecting your HDD as primary master, and the PX-708A as secondary master? For performance reasons it is best to separate the HDD and DVD writer into different IDE channels.

You can use either a 40-conductor or 80-conductor IDE cable for the PX-708A, but these days I use 80-conductor IDE cables for HDDs and all opticals, as these cables deliver better signal integrity at the UDMA mode 2 (and higher) speeds, so less risk of IDE bus CRC errors, which can trigger Windows to drop to PIO transfer mode.

Welcome to CDFreaks.

When the 708A came out, many people including myself experienced troubles with that drive reading all types of CDs. Some people reported very slow speeds, and others reported that it simply would not read CDs even though DVDs were fine. (My own drive was actually leaving scuff marks on CDs.) In many cases, the drive was fine and then one day (or after a f/w update) it simply would not read CDs, even if the f/w was rolled back.

The only solution was to RMA the drive.

See also: This thread

Followup…

Here’s a URL that goes into great detail about all things DMA - M$ Knowledge Base articles etc. If you try everything and still experience the problem, yep, RMA it.

Good luck.

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

Just a “simpel” thing. When have you upgrade to FW 1.08 ? This “upgrade” socks http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=731880&postcount=1.
After install, I could not erase most brands of DVD+RW any longer (only HP disks worked). After downgrade to 1.04 - now everything is just rolling.