Plextor 708A problem writing +RW

Hi all, first time here… I have read back the postings and did not find answers to my problem…

Bought PX708A some weeks ago. Burning +/-Rs is perfect. (reading back data on -R was a problem with another drive, so I decided to stick to +R media.)

However… Tried two TDK+RW disks, burned ok, but the drive can not recognize the finished disks at all. My DVD player as well as my other DVD drive (LG combo) can read the data with no problem.

Then I thought ok, maybe another media brand… and bought FUJIFILM DVD+RW (1-4x). And I had trouble even burning them. Nero (the one that came with the PX708A) said too much data for the disk (even when tried burning below 2 gigabytes). Other times burning starts fine, but completes with a write error. After several attempt yesterday I was able to burn a complete disk at 2.4x speed, but cca. half of the data was unreadable when wanted to read back.

I would welcome any thoughts… I just hope it is not my PX708A that has the problem…

Thanks

Hi Barbecue, Welcome to the forum.

Do you have “Hide CD-R Media” enabled either in Plextools or in CloneCD? I have heard this can cause the too much data for the disc error.

Can you give us more info (system specs, os, software installed etc).

Taroth

Hi guys, i actually have similiar issues as well.

I purchased Sony DVD+RW discs and am able to burn them at 4x however the 708 drive is unable to read once the burning process is completed. My other dvd drives in my PCs and the stand-alone Panasonic/Sony dvd players are able to read the Sony DVD+RW discs just fine. I do not have any issues when i burn Memorex DVD+R or DVD-R, i’m am to burn & read them just fine with the 708 drive. Since i had no issues with the Memorex brand, i went out and purchased the Memerox DVD+RW discs, i do not have anymore issues burning & reading the Memorex DVD+RW discs, so i guess the 708 drives are just really picky in regrads to media selection.

The 708 drive i have was built on March 2004 with a TLA#0206, so i do have latest hardware and i also updated to firmware 1.07, with the same problems with the Sony DVD+RW discs. I emailed the Plextor support team, describing this problem and gave them links to other customers from this site and they only response they had was to purchase the recommended/approved media or they can RMA the drive for another one. Ironically, the Sony discs are much more expensive than the Memorex ones. I just hope anther firmware release will address compatibility w/more media discs and with extra features like increasing the -R & -RW burning speeds like Sony did with their burner.

And I had trouble even burning them. Nero (the one that came with the PX708A) said too much data for the disk (even when tried burning below 2 gigabytes).

upgrade to the latest NERO BURN or downgrade and use version 5.

I purchased Sony DVD+RW discs and am able to burn them at 4x however the 708 drive is unable to read once the burning process is completed.

what is the media code on the SONY DVD+RW discs? it’s best to use the RECOMMENDED BRANDS OF DVD MEDIA that Plextor supports.

i’m not too sure where one can fine the media code, but the “model#” is DPW47L2, the media is abundant at the local Best Buy and Compusa stores in Chicago, IL. It’s really lame that we need to use “recommended brands”, don’t get me wrong, i’m a hugh Plextor fan, for the past 7+ years, and since i work in IT i had my office branch change thier optical drives to Plextor. so totally have nothing against Plextor at all. It’s kinda like if Roxio or Nero stating that their software products will only work with thier recommend brands of burners…i’m just hoping a future firmware release will address these issues. if not that’s absolutley fine, i’ll stick with the trusted Memorex media and coup the $20 lost of the Sony media.

i’m not too sure where one can fine the media code,

download DVDINFO PRO or DVD IDENTIFIER…

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

install any of the 2 programs and you can see who the actual manufacturer of the SONY DVD+RW is…just because it’s SONY doesn’t mean they manufactured it…

take a look at this site for brands of media

take a look at this forum where people who have not used the recommended brands of media…they end up getting coasters…as for roxio they suck when it comes to dvd burning…lots of variables in the dvd burning world…as for MEMOREX DVD MEDIA they suck if they’re manufactured by CMC…but hey if it works for you more power to you…MEMOREX DVD+R is the only coaster I’ve ever had…I only use FUJI DVD-R 4X, MAXELL DVD-R 4x, VERBATIM DVD-R, TDK DVD-R, RITEK G04 DVD-R 4X, IMATION DVD+R 4X that can be burned @8x with 708A & lastly CHEAPO COMPUSA DVD-R 2X (manufactured by PRINCO). which is about the same quality as CMC but the PRINCO works for me when doing backups of the kids movies.

I don’t know that the “recommended media” thing is Plextor’s fault, necessarily. Many drives balk at certain brands; some are undoubtedly pickier than others, though. What I like about Plextor is that at least it thoroughly tests various brands and tells us outright which ones work best. If I had gone to the website and not seen TY CDRs on the recommended list, I would have strongly considered giving Plextor a pass.

Barbecue, welcome to the forum. If you haven’t done so already please upgrade the firmware of your drive to the latest version, 1.07.

Perhaps the firmware problem,try to update it,and use an mitsubishi’s DVD+RW.

Good luck.:wink:

Hi all, thanks for all the replies. I was experimenting with some of the ideas in the forum and removed-reinstalled the nvidia driver of my VGA card. I also removed and reinstalled my nero software (i dont think this one had any use but still…), and finally I was able to perfectly read, write a rewrite my Fujifilm media. My older TDK-s are still hopeless, but at least now I have two RWs to work with. Those error messages are gone.

I am gonna try other brands too, hopefully by tomorrow and give you guys feedback.

The firmware upgrage should not be an issue since that was one of my first actions when I started to use my burner. However, it is possible (I do not remember) that I have burned mx TDK-s BEFORE upgrading to 1.07, and after the upgrades the disks were no longer readable. I saw that is was a known issue with FW upgrades.

So thanks again, for now I am OK, I’ll come back with some news after I’ve thried some other media brands

Bad news… I bought an imation DVD+RW disk, I wrote on it and then the drive was unable to even recognize the disk. So this is the thirs media I have a problem with. Really Is it that superior Plextor drive that produces these results???

Bad news… I bought an imation DVD+RW disk, I wrote on it and then the drive was unable to even recognize the disk. So this is the thirs media I have a problem with. Really Is it that superior Plextor drive that produces these results???

so many people having problems using firmware 1.07…I’d suggest you either use another brand name media or downgrade to firmware 1.04…have you downloaded DVDINFO PRO or DVD IDENTIFIER to find out the media codes???
i think IMATION DVD+RW is manufactured by RICOH but they could also be manufactured by CMC which is crappy. Are you using the latest version of NERO BURN? what other software besides NERO BURN are you using to backup your dvd movies? DVD SHRINK? DVD DECRYPTER? lots of variables in dvd burning.

@ Barbecue: If I were you, I would strongly consider RMAing my drive to Plextor. The first thing to do though is to run Plextor’s tests for yourself and report the results.

I have been reading about the media in almost every single problem that a Plextor drive has. It’s the first advice in everyone’s mouth. Plextor suggests, by having this list of recommendations, that these media work best with their drives. It isn’t there to say that these are the only media to use. Any drive should work with any media. It’s as simple as that and if my drive, which I consider to be a great drive, was not working with media other than those recommended I would return it to Plextor. I’m expecting all media to work, although I’m fully aware there are differences in quality that mostly affect the longevity. I would also understand differences in copying a computer game, as this is a complex venture requiring special software and hardware, but not in a smiple task such as backing up data in a DVD+/-RW. So, if you please, enough with the media stories, you could be more helpful suggesting other solutions.

By the way, my drive (708A, fw 1.07) has never had any problems with Imation or Sentinel (not recommended) +RW media. I would suggest to our friend to try other software (besides Nero) to burn, as well as check the drivers on the system, in order to be 100% sure it’s the drive’s fault.

well its getting worse and worse… Plextor support itself is suggesting RMA

Dear Sir,

It looks like your drive is defective. For returning the device, please
mention your details on the request page of our website:
…and so on…

Now do you guys think it is really the best choice? I mean I could try different burning SW, different media (I have tried three already…), etc. I could try to reinstall the whole system, etc. Fujifilm seems to work now but… you know, hearing other peole say all media all SW works…

So, if you please, enough with the media stories, you could be more helpful suggesting other solutions.

geez if media isn’t the problem then you suggest he just RMA the drive back without trying other brands of media or software. :rolleyes: Everyone doesn’t have the same computer components so there will be variables as to everyone’s use of not just the 708A drive but other optical drives as well.

It isn’t there to say that these are the only media to use.

Plextor has a RECOMMENDED LIST OF DVD MEDIA to use because they’ve tested those brands of media to work with the drive. Remember RECOMMENDED BRANDS & COMPATIBLE BRANDS are totally 2 different things. I haven’t come across a recommended brand that has yet to fail in my drive. On the other hand with the compatiblity brands I have had failures from manufacturer CMC. Compatible doesn’t guarantee it will work with the drive. Yet I’ve seen on other forum sites some have had success with CMC using the 708A drive. In my opinion there are too many variables in burning dvd’s.

To barbecue: Go ahead and try using another brand of media like TAIYO YUDEN (FUJI DVD-R 4X SPD) or MAXELL 4X DVD-R. Remove the Nvidia drivers and use the microsoft drivers. There are known issues if using them with the 708A drive. If all of those options fail then go ahead and RMA the drive back to Plextor.

I have to start my reply saying I’m not in the mood to argue with anyone personally, I don’t have anything against anyone. But, to keep this forum in the high standards it has achieved in really helping people, we have to be more careful in our replies. So. I’m going to answer this once and will not come back to it. Every following paragraph is in reply to the above quoted paragraphs.

First off, yes, I do suggest (very strongly indeed) that the media isn’t the problem! Plextor support themselves proposed the RMA, which, if you think about it, isn’t such a bad deal. Yes, you get to lose your drive for a couple of days, a week at the most, but you end up with a perfectly working drive, just as it was supposed to be in the first place.

Second, Plextor has this list with the media that work BEST with the drive. It definitely doesn’t mean other medias do not work. Our computers are IBM compatible machines, they usually are not made by IBM, they still work though, don’t they!!!

Yes, it does guarantee that it will work! If it doesn’t then either the drive or the media is FAULTY.

Now, this is a nice reply, with a helpful information in it!

@Barbecue: Try this with the drivers, try a nother software and if you still face problems, RMA the drive.

pafan wrote:

First off, yes, I do suggest (very strongly indeed) that the media isn’t the problem! Plextor support themselves proposed the RMA, which, if you think about it, isn’t such a bad deal. Yes, you get to lose your drive for a couple of days, a week at the most, but you end up with a perfectly working drive, just as it was supposed to be in the first place.

that’s your opinion which you’re entitled to…why send back the drive just because they offered it to be RMA…all i did was suggest he try a few more things before RMA the drive back to plextor…there are others who have RMA their drives not ONCE but TWICE with the same problems…it was stated in this forum that most of the drives were not defective but it had to do with software and hardware conflicts or using crappy media…don’t be so quick to say, you end up with a perfectly working drive, just as it was suppose to be in the first place…because in some cases the second drive was just as bad as the first one.

:rolleyes: …as for no time to argue…it only seems you’re the one being argumentative here…

PENT 4 2.4 GHZ, 1 GB DDR333 MEMORY,WIN 2000 PRO SP4, 500 gb HD
PENT 3 1 GHZ, 512 PC133 MEMORY, WIN 98SE, 100 gb HD
TOSHIBA DVD-ROM 1612 (2)
TOSHIBA DVD-ROM 1712
PLEXTOR 708A
PIONEER 107D
LITEON 411S@811S
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PLEXTOR 40X12X40 CDRW
ANTEC PURE POWER SUPPLY 430 WATTS
VIEWSONIC 15 IN. FLAT LCD MONITOR

Yes, I suppose you can always get unlucky and end up with a defective drive, after RMAing it. No one can exclude this probability, but at the end of the day, if it’s defective, that’s the way to go -and if you have to do it again, tough luck, but you have to do it again- the drive IS a good drive and as it is an expensive one, it should work as it’s supposed to… Besides, our friend has already tried other media, it was not an one-off… He mentions he tried two TDKs and a Fuji and an Imation (which, by the way all of the above work for me)… A good idea would be to try other software, but bear in mind that newest versions of Nero work (or should) fine.

Some experimenting again… Fujifilm +RW (1-4x) works perfectly, I burned two disks two-three times with different Nero versions (5-something and also 6.3.0.0 and 6.3.1.15 - both are demos but I guess it is the same), with no problem. At least I can use it… Now I do not know why it has damaged my Imation and TDK +RW-s, I’ll keep trying other brands…

So I decided to wait with the RMA and see how things develop - anyway, I am OK with Fujifilm, and other types of media (tried DVD±R, CD-R so far) caused no problems at all. :slight_smile: