Plextor 708A pi/po errors

Goodevening to you all…

Recently i bought a plextor 708a because all the reviews in the world said it was a very good dvd burner…
But how do we determine if a burner burns well…?
A friend of mine has a liteon 811s burner wich is capable to check the amount of c1 and c2 errors using KProbe software.

So, when i burn a movie on a TDK 1-4 speed with my new plextor i run the test on my other pc with the liteon 811s…and was i surprised…
The amount of pi/po errors indicates the quality of the burned dvd. When i burn a disk at 2.4 speed the results are acceptable, not great but acceptable. When i use the same media but burn at 4 speed, the results are getting worse…not to mention 8 speed…that’s a complete disaster…

How is it possible that all the reviews on the internet and even the articles in the local computermagazines, are all so very pleased with this burner??

I can’t say i am…till now…

I almost think i am missing something here…

All the dvd’s i’ve burned played well…but the amount of errors was very high…

I must say i am confused…

greetings Treve

You cannot really judge the performance of the drive by using only one type of media. Different recorders perform differently with different media. There are drives out there that perform very well with a lot of media, like the NEC ND-2500A, but reviews are not based only on media performance. The Plextor PX-708A was the first drive that supported 8x recording and it could do so with certaint 4x media which was unique. Other things that are looked at in reviews are package, support (which in general is excellent for Plextor drives), etc. If you want more information on media I suggest you take a look at our Media Forum. There are loads of scans in there which can help you determine which media will work well. If you want to know which media your Plextor likes then read though this Plextor Forum for user experiences. Good luck!

Ps. Welcome to the forum/Welkom op het forum :wink: