Plextor 708A Media

New guy here, I’m sorry if this has already been covered, but upon extensive sifting through the forum here, I haven’t been able to find a definite answer.

I recently purchased a Plextor 708A dvd writer and it has been working great with TDK +RW and Fujifilm -R discs, but those, along with the other suggested media on Plextors site, are a bit expensive.

I’d like to know what other brands, (Optodisc, Ritek, etc) people have had success with. Preferably 4x as well. I really need to buy a spindle soon so quick replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, and welcome to our forum! :slight_smile:

To my experience it works pretty good with most types of DVD+R/RW discs while its performance with DVD-R/RW disc is a hit and miss.

Princo DVD-R: works with some batches and do not work with other batches

Ritek DVD-R: Do not work (fails after writing 18%)

Optodisc DVD-R: Not personally tested, but I’ve heared about some success with these discs. Don’t know how the writequality is…

Try to get some DVD+R discs if possible as it seems to be optimized for DVD+R/RW media.

Thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile:

I guess I’ll have to try some various +R brands. I’ll probably give some TDK’s a try, I’ve always had success with them in the past.

Both the TDK +RW and the Fujifilm -R discs I’m using work in all my standalone dvd players as well as my 2 computer dvd drives. I’m hoping to find some more discs that are just as compatible. It’s a shame you can’t return discs that don’t work, can get costly testing new ones all the time.

Also, could someone recommend a good place to buy discs online? I’ve seen a few places such as supermediastore, etc, just want to cover all my options.

I realize this has now spilled out of the original topic, sorry about that. Once again, thanks.

i bought (ketta) dvdr- traxdata 4x which are rytek gen 4–> no problem with the plextor 708
not the same folk with princo dvd-rw 2x impossible to use at 2x and even sometimes at 1x

i will try +rw