Plextor 708A Media Problems

vbimport

Hi there all,

New to the group and new to the recordable DVD format. Having finally got the PC upgraded, I decided to purchase a DVD writer. After looking around for a while, I plumped for a new Plextor 708A, as I thought it was probably the best long term bet, albeit expensive. A couple of friends also said they thought Plextor made very good kit.

I bought a few assorted single DVD-R/-RW and DVD+R/+RW this weekend to see if I could find the best one and a good fit for my Sony DAV S550 player (Verbatim, Memorex, Imation, Panasonic, Packard Bell [;-(]). Just couldn’t wait to try it out as I’ve been wanting one for a year or so. Sadly, not one was recognised by the drive.

I called Plextor’s help line this morning and the chap I spoke with aksed what speed the media was. I said it varied but most were x2.4. He said that the following media guidance should be applied:

• DVD +R - Needs to be 8 Speed
  • DVD +R/W - Needs to be 4 Speed
  • DVD-R - Need to be 4 Speed
  • DVD-R/W - Need to be 2 Speed

Actually looking at the specs on their wwwsite, it clearly states that the drive can burn at various speeds and several of you have already reported results with other discs.

So what’s going on? I connected the 708 as a slave. The 708 manual recommends that it designated master and that no other connection is on that cable. Obviously this is unrealistic, so I took no notice. Could this be the root of the problem?

Can Nero be the problem (I’m using 6.0.0.9)? Am I being really dumb and missing a fundamental thing – like do you have to format DVDs first?? I have installed Plextools and the drive is recognised and plays prerecorded DVDs fine and also burn CD-Rs AOK. Any suggestions? Many thanks.

Cheers…Dysan

u haven’t mentioned what u’ve done to create the dvds that u’ve tried to play. are u backing up retail dvds? and if so, how are u going about doing it? i have a feeling that either the problem is related to poor media (which seems less likely if u’ve used various types) or ur recording process, which u might not know how to do properly. another problem could possibly be that ur player doesn’t play recorded dvds, but i looked it up on www.dvdrhelp.com and it’s been confirmed to play at least dvd-r, dvd+r, and dvd+rw.

I called Plextor’s help line this morning and the chap I spoke with aksed what speed the media was. I said it varied but most were x2.4. He said that the following media guidance should be applied:

• DVD +R - Needs to be 8 Speed
  • DVD +R/W - Needs to be 4 Speed
  • DVD-R - Need to be 4 Speed
  • DVD-R/W - Need to be 2 Speed

all BS requirements. speed shouldn’t be a factor, altho the quality of the media is definitely important. i’m pretty sure that 8x dvd+r’s aren’t even being sold yet.

The 708 manual recommends that it designated master and that no other connection is on that cable. Obviously this is unrealistic, so I took no notice. Could this be the root of the problem?

this is a ridiculous requirement and i’m 99.99% sure it’s not the cause (the other 0.01% being the offhanded chance that plextor has done something idiotic to require something like this to be done). i’ve seen detection problems relating to cable position, but ur drive is already being detected.

nero probably isn’t the problem unless u’re creating these dvds incorrectly, and there’s no need to format dvdr’s first.

Thanks AZImmortal,

Actually I have just been trying to back up files, rather than backup DVDs. Selecting a bunch of files and copying them to the Plextor drive, as I would a CD-R. It tells me (under XP) that files are waiting to be copied to the disk but when I tell it to go ahead and transfer them, it says that it cannot read the media.

If I go to explorer, it can see there is media there are sees it as 4.7GB of free space, so it would seem to know what is there.

Same thing with Nero - I select the files I want to copy to DVD, and same message. Media not recognised.

The Plextor guy told me today that Plextor sells 8X media already, but I’m damned if I can find a stockist. Saw that someone who bought a 708 got a 8X Plextor dish included in his bundle, so I believe they are about…somewhere…

Thanks again for the input

ah, my mistake, i misread the problem. when u said, “Sadly, not one was recognised by the drive,” i thought u were referring to ur dvd player not recognizing burned dvds.

the problem might be that the 708A doesn’t have writing strategies for any of ur dvds (which would be pretty odd if u tried out several types of media). u might want to find out what media other 708A owners are using with their drives and see if u still have the same problem.

u may also want to paste the media codes of the dvds u’re using to see if anyone else has problems with them. use dvdinfopro to get this info.

Thanks. Will do.

rdysan, I have a PX-708A and burned a DVD with Nero 6.0.0.11 using UDF 1.02 (as instructed to do on CDRforums) I also used ISO Joliet. This disc was burned with one directory containing 1292 zip archives.

Only my burner, (PX-708A can read and use this disc, It seems to be burned properly, although it burned at 1X (1hr to burn)

The media is labeled:
Maxell DVD-RW

In DVDInfoPro, it is listed as:

Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID JVC/VictorT7
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name
Application id
Implementation id AHEAD Nero
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 9/15/2003 9:13:33
Format Capacity 4.36GB(4.68GB)
Free Blocks 0
Book Type DVD-RW
Media Type DVD-RW
Media Id Code Speed 1.0x 1385KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 1.0x 1385KBps
Write Strategy Speed 1.0x 1385KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 22E0DFh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

Just my 2¢
Jon

It’s perhaps also a good idea to upgrade the firmware of your drive to 1.01 if you haven’t done this already. Oh, and as a small addition, I use [this profile](upload.cdfreaks.com/gf/BLANK DVD NERO.nrc) when recording DVD-Video files with Nero Burning ROM and so far this works great.

Hello everyone

Great forum

I’ve also have a 708A dvd burner and today ive tried to burn Thats-Write dvd-r 4speed
With no succes ! (2 speed is no problem but i want to burn 4speed offcourse)

Dvdinfo says it is Princo

are ther more with this problem

Firmware 101 is already in the drive !

Nero 60011 is used to burn the dvd’s

abuw: welcome to the forum. :slight_smile:

Could you please use dvdinfopro to identify the disc and copy and paste all the information so we could see it?

Do the serial number (near the center hole of your disc) of your princo discs start with 4X? It ssems like the plextor only likes discs that have a serial number starting with 4X.

here the results

the discs are also very bad recognized by the drive

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID PRINCO
Format Capacity Blank
Free Blocks 412352512
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 1.0x 1385KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 0B
2x Speed OPC power 0F
2x Write Strategy field 1 11 86 67 80
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 01
4x Speed OPC power 1B
4x Write Strategy field 1 0B 0E 08 08
4x Write Strategy field 2 55 09 0F 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 C0 88 80 88
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 00
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 08
4x Write Strategy field 4 00 00 10 01
4x Write Strategy field 5 1D 00 00 00 1E 04
4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 00 00 1F
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

The number on the dvd’s is H03039240012803

Yes, that is why you have problems, the princo 4X discs starting with H or M in the serial number is not supported by this drive. But princo discs which have a serial number starting with 4X works ok.

I know that plextor is working their ass off to improve the firmware, especially for DVD-R/RW.

The problem is that here is very many low quality DVD-R manufacturers, and princo is just one of them.

You have the following options:
-Wait for a firmware upgrade to fix the problem
-Write the discs in another DVD-Recorder if you have another availible (or maybe a friend have another DVD-Writer?).
-Try to return the discs to the reseller and get some other discs (preferrably DVD+R discs which normally works better with this drive).

Hi,
I have problems to burn DVD Data with the DVD SKY –R in 708A: I have the error message “No seek complete” and don’t burned my media!
Another problem is when I put the MMore DVD –R in the plextor. Not recognized it.
I have win xp sp1, MSI KT3 Ultra 2 and AMD XP+2100.
I have update firmware 1.01 but is the same.

Please help me! I’m desperate about the money dispended and I can’t burn DVD –R
Thanks

Actually the drive do still have a lot of problems with DVD-R/RW discs, so I advice you to use DVD+R/RW discs until plextor fixes this problem.

If you still want to use DVD-R discs, go for good brands like Verbatim, ritek og Tayo Yuden.

Hello again,
Tanks, OC-Freak
I will test another DVD –R/RW disks, and say it in the forum.
I as afraid if my plextor have any burn problem with DVD’s!
But was you say (maybe) is a problem with the DVD – disks.
I hope they can be resolved it, because I’ve pay (lot of money) for them and I expect more trust in PLEXTOR.
Bye

I have been using CompUsa disks (Optodisc) that they had on sale a couple of weeks ago, and both DVD-R & -RW along with DVD+R & +RW have all worked fine. The DVD-R are 1X but burn at 2X which is great since they were only $7.99 for 10. The DVD-RW burn at 1X. The only problem I had was with the first DVD+R/2.4X that I tried which didn’t close right in Nero 5.5.10.50 which was discussed in another thread. I closed it later using DVD Decrytper which was talked about today in the same thread by Surg. I am still using Firmware Version 1.00 but plan to update it later tonight. I haven’t tried the Memorex 4X DVD+R disks that I bought this week to see if they burn at 8X.

Been using Digital Matrix +R 4x media to burn at 8x without an issue

Been using Optodisc -R 4x media at 4x without issue

Just thought people might like to know.

• After reinstall nero 6.0.0.11, i tried philips DVD+R 1-4x (€ 2 each one) and worked fine at 8x! (nice!!) (data DVD).
    -I have tried again SKY DVD-R with backup for my films divx and worked, but it give me error on verify data (only)!!! ?? Maybe an error on my data H disk!!?~burned it at 2x
    -the only one not recognize in my plx is MMORE DVD-R!!??

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments, apologies for the late reply. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one having problems but also that many are doing fine.

How do I upgrade the firmware, BTW? HAd a look on the Plextor d/l site, but must be looking in the wrong place…

Cheers…Dysan

Also, at the risk of sounding a total wannock, how do I set the profile, G@M3FR3@K? Do I select it within Nero or just import the settings or what? Ta!

Saw the 8X DVD+R media now being marketed by Plextor. Anyone know of a UK retailer I can find out prices from? Also, in general what’s Plextor media like - does it have the same high standard as the drives themselves?

Thanks…Dysan

The Plextor 8X disk that ships with the drive is Taiyo Yuden…hope this helps…

Bob

BTW…I have had NO problems writing at 8X using Verbatim Data Life Plus 4X disks…or the Plextor media that shipped with the drive.

I use GHOST 2003 to backup my hard drive…and it recognizes the drive in DOS…have written very nicely to: Verbatim DVD+RW 2.4X disks at 2.4X…TDK DVD-R 2X disks at 2X and Verbatim Data 2.4X DVD-R’s at 2.4X…no problems at all…