Plextor 708A\FW1.10\YUDEN000-T02-00

vbimport

Hi,

This is my first post here.

I’ve got a Plextor 708X, purchased in October 2004, running firmware version 1.07. I’ve been successfully backing up DVDs using DVD Shrink/DVD Decrypter, and Sony labeled 4X DVD+R media, ID RICHOJPN-R01-02.

I began using Sony labeled 8X DVD+R media, ID YUDEN000-T02-00, and am now getting lots of glitches on playback. I tried burning at 4X instead of 8X, but the glitches persist.

I wonder if a firmware upgrade would fix this. The Plextor 708A firmware is up to 1.10, so my version 1.07 is three updates behind, but I don’t know if any of the updates adds YUDEN000-T02-00 as additional media, or if YUDEN has always been included, and I simply have other problems.

Does anyone know which firmware added YUDEN000-T02-00, if any?

I do remember drpino had some comments about this in this thread (about 1/2 way down):

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=134791

Sincerely,
BMB

Plextor has always had a very good support for TY media. I’m pretty sure FW 1.07 in the 708a has no problems with the YUDEN000-T02-00 discs you use.

Since you are mentioning glitches and DVD-Schrink/Decrypter I suppose you are using these disks for video? Try using another software for burning your disks. DVD-Decrypter basically has a good reputation but it might be a software related issue. Other people have reported similar problems with Nero that went away when switching to DVD-Decrypter. Maybe your case is the other way round…

Taiyo Yuden media is one of the best you can get.The Problem might be a compatability issue between your player and the media…or a bad media batch.(but i dont really think thats the case)

Thanks for the reply.

My apologies, though…I forgot to mention, the glitches occur on various set top players.

Thanks again,
BMB

Yes, I am backing up my video DVDs. I guess DVD Decryptor could be causing the problems, but I have another machine (Dell Inspiron with a Lite-On DVD burner) that will successfully burn with DVD Decryptor and the same batch of Sony labeled YUDEN media.

Will test programs like DVDInfoPro and/or Nero CD-DVD Speed Test tell me if a burned DVD is good so that I don’t have to sit down and watch the entire movie on my TV?

Thanks much,
BMB

Read through this thread and didn’t see that you metioned bitsetting to DVD-ROM. Or maybe I missed it. :slight_smile:

BMB,

My Sony Yuden T02 gives the best burns for me, and I keep it only for drive testing purpose if new firmware is out.

Do you have the latest DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 and DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15. I heard that older DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter has some problem that is fixed in the new versions. They work fine for me.

If you have the latest version, I would suggest to update your 708 firmware. The change log didn’t say spesifically for Yuden but who knows.

I’d suggest you not to hesitate upgrading the firmware…