Plextor 708a DVD 8X Burn Problem

I just bought the 708a which includes Easy CD & DVD Creator Basic v6.

I updated the firmware to v1.06 and Easy CD & DVD Creator’s engine to v6.2.0.134.

When I try to burn, the 8X option is not listed…only, 4X, 2.4X, and variable speeds.

I’m using Memorex 4X +R media (yes, I know it’s not on the Plextor approved list.)

Plextor eMailed me that I needed to use +8X media to burn at 8X yet I know that others often burn at 8X with 4X media.

Any ideas on why the 8X burn option isn’t shown?

Thanks,

Lee

It depends on the media you are using. The PX-708A can write some 4x media at 8x-speed, but this does not work with every type of 4x media. You should download “CDVDInfo” http://www.plextor.be/download/ftp1/CDVDInfo.zip and tell us the Manufacturer ID of your media.

I use the Memerox 4x +R and burn at 8x so it is not the media. Most people, including me, use Nero with their 708a’s. It might just be the Roxio software?!

alsah wrote:

It might just be the Roxio software?!

Roxio software sucks when it comes to dvd burning. Lee151 has a media problem. I agree with alsah to use NERO burn as your burning software. Use IMATION DVD+R 4x speed media. It will burn @8x. IMATION DVD+R is manufactured by RICOH. But remember some older standalone dvd players will not playback correctly if burned@8x speed.

Originally posted by alshah
I use the Memerox 4x +R and burn at 8x so it is not the media. Most people, including me, use Nero with their 708a’s. It might just be the Roxio software?!

There are different Memorex DVD+R 4x out there. Some are produced by Ricoh, some are produced by CMC, so it is not sure that you are using exactly the same media as Lee151. I know that the Ricoh work fine at 8x, but I do not know about the others.

Hirngranatn and all,

I ran CDVDInfo and got the following:

Type : DVD+R
Certified Write Speed: 2.4 X - 4.0 X
Drive Write Speed : 2.4 X - 4.0 X - 8.0 X
Manufacturer ID : RICOHJPN
Media ID : R01
Product Revision : 02

I’m beginning to suspect that Easy CD & DVD Creator Basic will not allow you to write at 8X unless the media is certified for that.

And my older version of Nero doesn’t recognize the Plextor so I guess it’s time to upgrade!

Lee

Yes, now I also think that it is most likely a software-problem.
“Drive Write Speed : 2.4 X - 4.0 X - 8.0 X” means that the drive could write the Ricoh at 8x, so it does not seem to be a media-problem.

Hirngranatn,

Thank you for the information.

BTW, I’ve read that it’s important to have current ASPI files (layers) installed. I’m still using Windows 98SE which has older ASPI files installed (in fact, I’m completely missing the aspienum.vxd file!).

Is this important or not? Other than being unable to use Easy CD & DVD Creator at 8X, I’ve had not problems either reading or burning DVDs.

Lee

Hey, that is exactly the question I asked here some time ago :slight_smile:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91322

Hirngranatn,

Thank you once again.

Like you, I will leave the ASPI files alone as everything is working fine. :slight_smile:

One final question if you would be so kind:

I’ve been using my Plextor to back up DVDs I bought. As CDVDInfo can read the drive serial number, is the serial number encoded on the CDs or DVDs I burn too?

Lee

Originally posted by Lee151

I’ve been using my Plextor to back up DVDs I bought. As CDVDInfo can read the drive serial number, is the serial number encoded on the CDs or DVDs I burn too?

Sorry, I do not know that. But I think that this is not likely. Maybe somone else here knows more?