Plextor 708A -> Booktype

vbimport

this is very bad about plextor 708a can not set booktype on dvd+r, I’ve been searched all the forums, now plextor 712 had support booktype with new nero version 6.3.1.25 it’s make owner 712 very happy, but for the owner of 708a still waiting for booktype to be set in firmware.
How do we make this 708a booktype change to happen, if someone can be a hero to hack 708a firmware like the others dvd writer, I willing to donate to make it work,
any body agree with me. just a through.

Old story
By February Plextor told they would consider it. Later on, they refused to adopt the idea…as it was for 712, they kept saying they don’t support the facility.
Now Nero comes out with the “automatic” thing. My hope reborn reading the first threads…but it seems is dead again, as the reports say it doenst work fot 708A.
It seems I bought Plextor’s Kalimero drive (for the ones not familiar with it, a cartoon’s character always left behind…complaining about it!)

Well, seem to be plextor go down the with this writer, can not challenge with others vendors nec, BenQ, lilteon, pinoneer, make customers happy with what they paid for, I make a mistake to have a plextor 708a for 6 months with high price $250, I through plextor is new technology will add in future support for their writer to support customers, but now seem they don’t care, so I’m not going to recommened to any of plextor to any body, for now I’m will buy NEC3500A seem to be the right writer for future support.
p.s alot of customers already complained about this booktype support and plextor don’t care so why do we buy their writer.

I’m will buy NEC3500A seem to be the right writer for future support. p.s alot of customers already complained about this booktype support and plextor don’t care so why do we buy their writer.

Ask yourself that same question…Why did you buy a Plextor? Perhaps if you did some research before you bought the 708A then you wouldn’t be complaining about the drive not being able to do BITSETTING. It’s the newer standalone dvd players that can playback DVD+R . Although brands like the newer PANASONIC & JVC DVD Players are only manufactured to playback DVD-R media. With bitsetting those 2 drives are able to playback DVD+R media. Every brand of dvd burner will have their pros/cons. Just take a look at the other forum sites like NEC, LITEON & PIONEER. :wink:

Hi
DVD_ADDICT is right, everytime you buy a device you make your choices and accept the pros&cons attached to them. Fair enough.

But by the time 708A came out there where things you could not clarify and if I’m right some makers were saying that recorder could be adapt to work with dual layer discs.
This didnt marerialize…and I dont complain about.

But 708A could do 8x with 4x discs…and 4x DVD-R, that was the media maximum speed.
Than 8x -R came out and Plextor didn’t update the firmware, saying they would not do it as the drive was not intended to…but other brands did it - including Sony.

About bitsetting… I must confess I was not aware about how few manufacturers were still offering it.
By February Plextor still seemed to accept to do so, but afterwards just said they would not support the facility.

Now…712A can do it, so they did allow the drive to accept the command…but poor sitting duck 708A was left behind!

And its about this that I consider we can complain.

hi DVD_ADDICT, I got your point, I didn’t research enough that why end up with this plextor 708A not a future firmware upgradeable to support DL± R/RW and booktype, I just wonder what is a special about plextor 708A vs 712
has support bitsetting, and DL lately, the way I see is 708A more expensive than others like NEC, Pinoneer, Liteon, BenQ…I though plextor made 708a can do better than that, but I was wrong.
I did send them email to ask for support Dl and bitsetting but I never receive any reply from them.
anyway I found new driver I looking for is NEC ND-3500AG more flexible
upgrade firmware and special hack firmware made by super gentleman in NEC firmware forums

You can’t complain that 708 doesn’t support +R DL. It was the first 8x drive to hit the market. None of the first 8x drives support +R DL (okay maybe some Litey stuff with hacked firmware, but with awful speed and quality).

Alhough i admit that 708A bitsetting would be wonderful. :bow:

Ebay can help you fix your 708A problem :bigsmile: . Sold my 708A about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I agree with Hitman, my 708A will be on Ebay very soon.
I have read alot about complained 708A not support bitsetting and DL and the responsed answer was NO from plextor since Jan/Feb.
The reason I can think of plextor 708A was hardware lack design can not implement in firmware to set bitsetting and write DL+, that why they ship out 712 to the market.
I might be wrong if plextor can proved.

Than 8x -R came out and Plextor didn’t update the firmware, saying they would not do it as the drive was not intended to…but other brands did it - including Sony.

Sony drives are made by LITEON which is why a firmware for 8x was available.

All this bitching about Plextor 708A drives is getting quite old! :rolleyes: Other brands of dvd burners have bitsetting either directly from the manufacturer or via a firmware hack. The only 2 manufacturers that I know of that doesn’t support BITSETTING is PLEXTOR (except the 712 drive via NERO) & PIONEER. The 708A write quality is better than my LITEON drive.

Newer better, faster computer components are released every 3-6 months and all of us want the best of both worlds. I’m sure when Plextor releases their next dvd burner there will be bitching again because someone doesn’t like this or that. It’s a neverending cycle because a fact of life is you can never satisfy everyone. Who knows Plextor may just surprise us with their next drive!!!

PENT 4 2.4 GHZ, 1 GB DDR333 MEMORY,WIN 2000 PRO SP4, 500 gb HD
PENT 3 1 GHZ, 512 PC133 MEMORY, WIN 98SE, 100 gb HD
TOSHIBA DVD-ROM 1612 (2)
TOSHIBA DVD-ROM 1712
PLEXTOR 708A
PIONEER 107D
LITEON 411S@811S
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PLEXTOR 40X12X40 CDRW
ANTEC PURE POWER SUPPLY 430 WATTS
VIEWSONIC 15 IN. FLAT LCD MONITOR

You’re right DVD_ADDICT tech cycles are quite short, but sometimes running for speed it’s not the only thing that matters, and the 708 still has quite good things on the Cd side. Even in he DVD, some of the things I do with it are done at speeds under its top speed (as burning DVD from video editor), besides speed can be interesting and useful to have if you are in a rush and you can put some aspects aside.

Bitsetting they can do via firmware, for sure. The rest you buy a new drive to do.

Hope they can offer also DVD-RAM (as they do in Japan with 605A just released), as it can write up to 100 000 times, is seen as a HDD by the system and the expected life span isa much larger…most important we could forget problems to write RWs.

Plextor always behind with new driver 16x and not support dvd-ram, the pioneer 16x, nec 16x, sony 16x already have it at speed 2x.

Plextor always behind
Which company released the first 8x DVD burner in the world? Which company released the first 12x burner in the world? Please, if you don’t like what Plextor offers with their new drive, don’t get it and buy a Lite-On, NEC or whatever instead. The PX-716A doesn’t support DVD-RAM, so be it. It supports everything else and will offer some interesting new technologies.

It supports everything else and will offer some interesting new technologies.

The AUTOSTRATEGY WRITING TECHNOLOGY will be interesting.

You’re right about the 716A G@M3FR3@K, but maybe next Plextor’s drive do support it…as they have the 605A in Japan that does.

Booktype it’s a different story as they may be able to allow it through a firmware update as thet did for 712A.

I sent them a message asking for the possibility, and this was the answer so far:

"Dear Sir,

I will forward your request to our engineering department for their
reference.

I cannot say if our engineering team will meet your request.

Kind regards, "

So lets hope they can meet it.

"Dear Sir,

I will forward your request to our engineering department for their
reference.

I cannot say if our engineering team will meet your request.

Kind regards,

that’s the exact message they replied to me when i asked them about it… :rolleyes:

Well, even risking to come back to a subject that doesn’t seem to attract to much the 708A owners attention I would like to tell that Nero support just answered me saying that for them there is no problem at all to include the facility in a future revision…providing Plextor allows it at firmware level, and it seems they blocked 708A in that respect.

Maybe emailing them can do something…yes, we have to keep hope alive!

So, please Plextor people!!!

The PX-708A allows booktype setting with Firmware 1.08 so Nero could include it if they wanted to. Checkout the new PlexTools Pro 2.17, it supports changing booktype for DVD+R discs. Get it here

Now 708 supports BITSETIING with new PlexTools version (2.17)!

YEAH BABY!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

That’s great news, if it really works for the 708A!
Maybe someone can report an experience on that.

This is text of Nero support answer to an email of mine:

"Thank you for providing all these detail.

It is not a problem at all to add this feature for all DVD recorders.
It all depends on the recorder manufacturer if this option il available or
preselected by default.

It seems that the firmware of the Plextor 708A disables this option completly.
Then Nero offers no option to change this setting."

Obviously that Plextor knows it from the inside and could use unknown commands in the tools to make it work.