Plextor 708A and CD-R Media

I’ve recenctly bought this drive and I’ve had a few problems burning CD-R’s. I’m not sure whether it’s the media I used, Datasafe 52X, or whether it’s the drive. After every four or five succesful burns I’d get a write error at the lead in stage.

I want to buy some more media and ideally I’d get some that is on Plextor’s recommended list, but all I can find is Verbatim at quite a premium cost. I’m in the UK.

What I would like to know is how tolerant the 708 is of cheap branded CD-R’s. Datasafe is supposed to be fairly good and is made by Prodisk which is on Plextor’s compatable list. But I had problems with it. I can get some cheap Memorex which is also on the compatable list. Should I expect the 708 to work with them?

My old 16X Plextor CD writer coped with most disks that I chucked at it and it writes to the Datasafe 52X disks successfuly.

Basically, I want to know how careful I need to be in buying CD-R media for the 708. If I have problems with other reasonable quality CD-R’s, is there a possibility of a problem with my drive? Should I get recommended disks to make sure that there isn’t a problem with my drive?

Thanks

Teresa

Hi Teresa, welcome to our forum.

I personally feel that the Plextor PX-708A requires quality CD-R media in order to make a good back-up. In my experience the drive doesn’t work very well with low quality media or media that’s not on Plextor’s recommended list. I’m basing this on my experience when I first got the drive, using it with the first firmware installed. Which firmware does your drive currently use? The latest version is 1.03 and it has the best media compatibility so it’s recommended to install it. If you can find media that’s on Plextor’s recommended list I think it would be safe to buy those instead of an unknown brand. The Plextor works very well with media like Taiyo Yuden, Maxell and Verbatim. Good luck!

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have the latest firmware version, 1.03. I am dissapointed that the Plextor is so choosey with media, even that media that is on the compatable list, as I do not want to spend a fortune on CD-R disks. However, this is my first DVD writer and I will probably start using DVD’s more and more, so CD-R disks will become less of an issue. I have had success with Ritek G04 media which I can get at reasonable prices.

I will probably buy some 48X Memorex CD-R media and try that as it is on the compatable list. If I have problems with that, I’ll try a slower write speed and buy Verbatim next time at nearly double the cost (I can get cheap CD-R media from a local shop but have to buy Verbatim from internet suppliers and postage adds a lot to the cost).

Thanks

Teresa

Originally posted by TeresaTunnell

Should I get recommended disks to make sure that there isn’t a problem with my drive?

Sure and the media made by Taiyo Yuden is the best choice ever.

I have a PX-708A, Im using Windows 2003 Server, I have it set as my master on sec IDE.
Firmware 1.03

I cannot write a verbatim CDRW 650mb 24x, always fails at 10%, seems to be very fussy, my liteon 52246S writes to it no problems at all.

I know this is a bit off the post, Ritek G04 DVD-R work fine until the last block where it is always unreadable (tested with Nerocdspeed) Sometimes DVD playback with Ritek isnt as good as it should be. But only 1 coaster.
I used DVD2One this morning, and used nero to burn it, no unreadable blocks, perfect playback :slight_smile: with Ritek G04

Works perfectly with taiyo yuden…

I hope Plextor brings out 1.04 soon…