Plextor 708a/712a and Ridata DVD media

vbimport

Has anyone had any experiences using Ridata media with Plextor drives? Are they good/bad?

Has anyone had any experiences using Ridata media with Plextor drives? Are they good/bad?

From what I’ve read at other forums RIDATA is actually manufactured by RITEK which lately has been producing bad batches of DVD MEDIA. If you want to try it out purchase a small quantity. I’ve used RITEK DVD-R the orange top ones which some say are inferior media but they worked well with my 708a drive. The prices for them went up so I just use MAXELL & FUJI DVD-R 4x speed media. I purchase them in bulk when they go on sale at the local OFFICE DEPOT or OFFICE MAX.

When I reviewed the Ridata DVDRW burner (actually a NU DDW-081) I got 10 pieces of Ridata 8x DVD+R discs with it. They burned excellent in the Ridata drive (of course) and in my Plextor PX-708A. Here’s the media code from these discs:

-----------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R;RITEK-R03-001]
Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEK]
Media Type ID : [R03]
Product Revision : [001]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x - 4x - 8x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6 MB = 4.38 GB]
[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

bought spindle of 100, of same Ritek’s that G@M3FR3@K mentioned.

20 disc’s in and not a prob

edit…omg…5 posts since Feb 2002…I’m a lurker I guess.

How do the Ritek’s with the media code “RICOH JPN-R01” perform in Plextor drives?

Any genuine Ritek manufactured media (that’s from a good batch) will work well with a Plextor drive, like infact other DVD drives by the likes of NEC / Lite-ON etc. I never buy discs by anyone else, and yeah sure you get the odd dodgy batch, but the low price tends to negate this problem. I’m a non-Plextor owner, but a friend has a 708 along with a Pioneer 106, and like me uses nothing but Ritek produced media.

How do the Ritek’s with the media code “RICOH JPN-R01” perform in Plextor drives?

Ricoh media is on the RECOMMENDED list of brands to use with Plextor drives. It works very well! :slight_smile:

I only use Ritek G04 Grade A with the 708 and after 500+ burns only had a few bad discs and I think this was just bad luck with the media.

Willis :wink:

How do the Ritek G04’s compare to RICOHJPNR01?
Is one better than the other or the same?

RICOHJPNR01 is a 4x DVD+R which can be written at 8x with very good results. On the other hand, you cannot write 4x DVD-R RITEK G04’s at 8x … so I guess if you don’t care about DVD+R or DVD-R the RICOH has a definite advantage.

Me and few others found that TDK 4x DVD+R (RICOHJPNR01 Rev02) are giving excellent results at 8x … and as it was said already: their on Plextor’s recommended list …

I have the Plextor 708a and have been using Ridata DVD+R’s I bought at Newegg, 100 for 40.99, after mail in rebates. Heres what DVDinfoPro said:

Type : DVD+R
Certified Write Speed: 2.4 X - 4.0 X
Drive Write Speed : 2.4 X - 4.0 X - 8.0 X
Manufacturer ID : RICOHJPN
Media ID : R01
Product Revision : 02

Whats odd is that if I burn them at 8x they play back fine in my players that used to have problems reading 8x burned discs. I guess its a good thing, but I couldnt do that before with other 4x Ritech media.

Guess I just got lucky this time.

Darksaturn, it’s $39 after rebate now… http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-132-344&DEPA=0

Ridata is not made by Ritek. Like the MID says, Ridata branded media is made by Ricoh. Ridata, like TDK, Memorex and others, do not usually manufacturer their own discs, so they do not own the stampers and facilities. They contract with the major vendors to market media. Ricoh is a recommended media for the Plextor drives while Ritek is not.

Rumor has it that Ricoh, like most vendors, segregates their yield into different quality levels for worldwide distribution–the highest quality to Japan, the next to the US, the next to Europe and the worst to Asia. Not sure if there is truth to the rumor, but it would explain the various levels of compatibility users in different countries seem to experience. A user gets max writing with a Ricoh 8x in the US and has problems with the “same” disc in the UK. Go figure.

bob11879, it is probably a typo error. If you click the image and look at the larger view, it says Ridata. And the customer reviews confirmed that it’s RICOHJPN. Anyway, I was about to buy because of the cheap price but then realized that I still have 30 more Memorex and 25 more TDK, all are +R 4x RICOHJPN, which my 712A burns bad @8x but perfect @6x.

Anyone knows where to buy Taiyo Yuden media here in the US? I checked out ebay but it’s very costly.

Check out Newegg Samsung 50 pak DVD+R (not the 25 pak)

Edited: Check that people are now reporting getting optodisc in the samsung 50 pak’s…here

thanks pchilson!!