Plextor 708-A pixeling toward end of burn

vbimport

Using FW106 and RiTEK 4X DVD-R discs, I get a lot of disks that pixel and freeze toward the end of my burn of DVD movie backups.

How can I prevent this? My encoding is good because I can check on the PC, but when I burn it often has problems toward the end of the movie. Any suggestions?

Could be media, could be the player. If the same spots play ok on the 708A,

1. Try recording at a lower speed or changing media brands.
  2. Try on another set top player. Yours could have some type of tracking/decoding issue.

Using FW106 and RiTEK 4X DVD-R discs, I get a lot of disks that pixel and freeze toward the end of my burn of DVD movie backups.

What Ritek DVD-R 4x discs are you using? There have been reports using the orange landscape RITEK DVD-R 4x discs aren’t that good. Although I don’t have problems using it with my 708A drive. What software are you using to backup your dvds?

There have been reports of crappy Ritek media recently. Use Verbatim brand for instance and you won’t encounter problems anymore.

Reduce burning speed - I stick with 2.4x for DVD+R and 2.0x for DVD-R to make sure of burn integrity. Then check your media. If it’s CMC, it’s trash. If it’s Princo, it’s trash. If it’s Happy Panda brand, it’s trash. Liquid Media - Bosnian war crime trash. Stick to Plextor recommended media or you’ll be sorry. I was - I learned lots of hard lessons with cheap media.

make sure the dvdr media you are using are free from scratches and smudges on the outer rim when burning…
i used to have some dvd-Rs here that have small scratches on the outer rim… it burned successfully with my PX708UF but when i tried playing it back, the last few chapters were freezing and skipping… when i carefully examine the disc there were few unburned area due to the small scratches on the disc… from the 25pcs of dvd-r i bought there were almost 6 disc i found to have small scratches… so i recommend checking the disc first for small scratches to have a successful burn…

Actually, finally tried MAXELL 4X Blank DVD and haven’t had any problems since. I think the RITEK DVDs are bad. I won’t be buying them anytime soon. I had tried lowering the copying speed even down to 1X with the same result. With better blank DVDs, I can burn at any speed.