Plextor 52x Premium Silent Mode

vbimport

Hi

First of all, my congratulations on the excellent review of the Plextor Premium 52x. I am interested in this burner. I have one question with respect to a feature called Silent Mode. How does the drive behave when recordable media is written at the maximum speed of 52x ? Does the drive start spinning up like crazy and then continue to be noisy until the CD is finished? This is the case with my current Yamaha CRW-F1. A year ago, I had a Plextor 40x and it was almost pin drop silent at 40x. So, from your testing is the drive noisy or is the noise level comparable low like the Plextor 40x ? I would profoundly appreciate if one of you could assist me in this matter.
Regards
Eagleskys

Originally posted by eagleskys

my congratulations on the excellent review of the Plextor Premium 52x.
What review do you mean ? Am I missing something ?

No I don’t think so BoSkin… We (CD Freaks) haven’t posted a review on the Premium drive yet. So unfortunately I cannot answer your question eagleskys… Perhaps some of the other people that hand around here can since some of them are lucky enough to already own the Premium drive…

Originally posted by eagleskys
I have one question with respect to a feature called Silent Mode. (…)So, from your testing is the drive noisy or is the noise level comparable low like the Plextor 40x ?

At 52x the drive is louder than the PX-W4012A, since it rotates at much higher speed. When set to 40x, it’s more silent than PX-W4012A.

So you need to decide, what you want: depending on your SilentRec settings the drive can be virtually silent. You can influence writing speed, reading speed, access time and even the speed of the tray.

HTH Frederick

I can confirm what Frederick has posted. I’ve just received the Premium drive and done some burns (not at maximum speed though). It’s noticeably quieter than other Plextor recorders. Even the drive’s tray runs very silent and smooth (a bit like the PX-W4824TA’s tray only quieter).

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
I’ve just received the Premium drive and done some burns
Great ! We then hope to see your forthcoming and full review before long.