Plextor 52/24/52A Awful Burn Speeds

vbimport

History:

June: Built new system and installed PLEXTOR 52/24/52A.

IDE controller reads UDMA MODE 5 on both Primary and Secondary.
Nero’s burns cd’s in 2 minutes, and dvdrs in 12-14 minutes.

Only the supplied ‘NERO Express’ recognizes the plextor.
Needed to detect the drive in CDRWIN, installed the lastest version, no luck still not recognizing.
Update Plex firmware to 1.03, detected in cdrwin! (very happy)

Next day, different types of compatible media will only burn at 16x.
Checked IDE/ATAPI controllers, they have dropped to UDMA 2.
Drive seems to pause for a long time prior to starting to write.

I have tried many solutions:
Removed all apps, aspi layers, un-installed drive in device manager and rebooted, un-installed drivers and rebooted, removed ide/atap controllers and rebooted.
All with no success, no matter the wuality of the disk it will NOT burn any faster than 16x!

Also, in Plextools in the write test at 52x it fails the test immediately with a ‘write error’ and the numerical code relates to data transfer.
However, if i manually set the write speed to x48 it completes the write test, but even if i set the write speed to 48x when i actually burn disk they STILL only write at 16x!

I am tearing my hair out here, any ideas?

tb

Not sure if I can help but have a few question’s

1. The Speeds dropped after you installed CDRWIN and updated the firmware?
  2. What OS are you using?
  3. Is this AMD or INTEL motherboard?
  4. What does DVD’s have to do with this drive?

Nero’s burns cd’s in 2 minutes, and dvdrs in 12-14 minutes

Sorry for the delay, i couldn’t get back on the site for some reason to reply :frowning:

Ignore the comment on dvdr times, it should have not been mentioned.

system spec:

AMD FX-53 CPU
ASUS SK8V Mobo
2gb Corsair Twinned Dual Channel ram

Would you like me to post the write error log from plextools?

Also, I reverted back to the plextors original firmware (1.02) and its made no difference, which leads me to believe that something has been written to the registry that has made the drop to UDMA mode 2 permenent.

tb

ps: thanks for your quick reply!

Would you like me to post the write error log from plextools?
Yes Please.

Ignore the comment on dvdr times, it should have not been mentioned.
Do you have a DVD burner that is burning slow or something?

Hi twobells

Your drive should be at UDMA mode 2, this is the correct mode for your writer. It must have been wrongly detected as UDMA mode 5 in the first place.

Have you tried some different media? PoweRec on the drive (If it has it) may be detecting the media used is not high enough quality for 48X and limits the burn speed to 16X.

Taroth

I agree with Taroth. UDMA mode 2 is the mode your drive should be using. You could try to disable PoweRec in PlexTools or Nero to see if the drive can record your media at higher speeds than 16x. If it does with PR disabled then then problem lies with the media you’re using. Try other media. Look at the Plextor website for recommended brands. Good luck!

Some types of media(CDR) can ONLY be written @ 16X,(e.g:Mitsubishi Metal AZO),no matter what you disable or not disable PoweRec.

Would use the latest firmware. Maybe the Force ASPI might make a difference. Also, check for a motherboard bios upgrade, sometimes that may help.

To test the drive, use the self test and a recommended media disc. To test the throughput, try Nero CD Speed and a stamped data disc. Enable SpeedRead. The disc should read up to 52x.

Use the CDVDInfo tool from Plextor to read the ATIP of the disc. It should be able to tell you the vendor and maximum recording speed. Test recording with Nero CD Speed and “Create data disc” from the test menu. Verify the options are set to “Write Speed-Maximum”. The drive should record up to 52x or the rated speed of the media.

Hey Taroth

Yes i have tried 4 out of the five suggested compatible media, all with no success, also the drive burns at 52x with no problems on another pc…

tb

I tried the latest firmware and tried forceaspi, neither has made any difference, my mobo is currently on the latest bios.

tb

ok, here is the infolog from CDVDInfo tool:

CDVDInfo V1.22 System information
Copyright © 1999-2004 Plextor SA/NV
27 July 2004

Software information

Operating system: Windows XP V5.01.2600 Service Pack 1
Description : n/a

Hardware information

ID 0:(E) PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W5224A V1.02 (S/N:456080) (1.29.55C)
Read speed: 18-40 X CAV, Jumper settings: 001, Buffer under run proof enabled

Manufacturer : Prodisc Technology (type 9)
Start Time of Lead In : 97:32:19 MSF, LBA: 438919
Start Time of Lead Out: 79:59:71 MSF, LBA: 359996

Label: -
Contents:
blank disc inserted

thats it, now testing with NEro CD Speed, will get back to you soonest.

tb

Test recording with Nero CD Speed and “Create data disc” from the test menu. Verify the options are set to “Write Speed-Maximum”. The drive should record up to 52x or the rated speed of the media.

ok,here are the results:

General Information

Operating System Windows XP Professional
Drive PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W5224A
Firmware Version 1.02
Serial Number 456080
Disc Data CD
Capacity 79:57.71

Log

Time Elapsed Action
[18:26:48] Creating Data Disc
[18:32:16] 5:28 Speed:21-23 X P-CAV (16.24 X average)
[18:44:30] Starting Transfer Rate Test
[18:48:12] 3:42 Speed:18-41 X P-CAV (27.61 X average)
[18:48:12] Starting Seek Times Test
[18:48:19] Random Seek: 72 ms
[18:48:28] 1/3 Seek: 82 ms
[18:48:40] 0:28 Full Seek: 127 ms
[18:48:40] Starting CPU Usage Test
[18:48:55] CPU usage at 1X: 0 %
[18:49:10] CPU usage at 2X: 1 %
[18:49:25] CPU usage at 4X: 3 %
[18:49:40] 1:00 CPU usage at 8X: 6 %
[18:49:40] Starting Burst Rate Test
[18:49:41] 0:01 Interface burst rate: 19 MB/sec (19278 KB/sec)
[18:49:41] Starting Spin-Up/Down Test
[18:49:49] Spin-up time: 2.39 seconds
[18:50:04] 0:23 Spin-down time: 5.37 seconds

tb

Well, You’re getting 40x+ on the read, so the interface seems okay. I believe the jumper is set for master, but you should check the DMA jumper and make sure it is NOT installed. The jumper forces PIO mode. Verify again the controller in the device manager is set to UDMA.

Seems you’re only getting a bit over 20x on the write. If you have another system, try it in that. If not, I’d suggest an RMA. Should be getting 48-52x with that disc.

thanks bob!

dma jumper on the plextor itself right?

tb

BOB!

AM I reading this log correctly??

Write Transfer Rate

Write Mode DAO
Start 23.37x
End 45.79x
Average 34.60x
Type P-CAV

I remembered I had disabled IMAPI CD Recording services, as part of my ‘XP TWEAK’ which was posted on the via forums, so decided out of interest to re-enable it.
As soon as the burn started I knew something was different,t he write started immediately and didn’t keep spinning up and down, just kept a v fast blinking orange!

Have I read the log correctly?

tb

Yes. Looks like you got 46x on that, not too bad.

Yes. There normally should only be one jumper on the rear of the unit–master, slave, or cable select. The DMA jumper should NOT be on unless you’re having problems with I/O and need it to slow the drive down.