Plextor 504a and DVD+R / standalone DVD players

Hi all :bigsmile: ,

Found out the following problem using the Plextor 504 DVD Burner…

When creating a DVD-Movie disk the book type field is set to
DVD+R causing a lot of standalone players not playing the disk…
When searching the net you see that DVD+R is supported but. I think it’s only supported when the book type field is set to DVD-ROM Like the NEC 1000 writes the disk…

I use a Panasonic RV 32 to play these disks. DVD written on the NEC are usable and written with te Plextor are not… Verry confusing is this.

When somebody knows a solution to this please let me know…
(No not buy a NEC DVD Writer or buy another standalone player)

I mean a real solution…

Greatings to all CDFreaks out there…

Laserguard…

First Welcome to the Forum.
This is taken from a earlier post of mine. A bitset utility which changes the “Book Type Field” in the DVD from DVD+RW/DVD+R to DVD-ROM may be a solution for you. This may help your consumer player play the DVD+RW/DVD+R. Here is a link to a free bitsetting utility. I have no idea whether or not it will work with your Plextor 504a. http://www.dvdplusrw.org/resources/bitsettings.html
Best Wishes

Thanks BlackWolf :wink:

I can always give it a try… Will do as soon as I can
and Post a reply with the results…

Funny that one DVD manufacturer uses the DVD+R setting (Plextor) and the other with no modifications uses DVD-ROM setting (NEC). :confused:

Best Regards,

Laserguard…

I also suggest that you contact Plextor support about this matter. They may have, or in the alternative, be willing to provide you with a solution for this problem.

Hi BlackWolf,

I did contact Plextor they are referring that the media is not
correct. This isn’t the case try several types. I know for sure this is the problem beause I used the same diskimage and checked the Book type flag of both disks…

The support of plextor gave one option use other media. I also stated this Book Type thing getting no anwser to it… :Z

I hate it when buying a expensive burner and you het no anwser to this even when you ask nice… :frowning:

Best Regards,

Laserguard