Plextor 48x

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
SafeDisc 2 is no problem, SafeDisc v2.51.021 fails even with AWS enabled! I did some quick tests but it doesn’t look good. I hope Plextor can tweak its firmware or CloneCD its AWS feature to enable the PX-W4824A drive to do SafeDisc v2.51.021… Didn’t check audio protections yet.

It’s very strange because Plex 24 and 40 can copy Safe 2.51.021 with AWS enabled, like a charm! I can’t understand why a newer model with probably the same chipset family of 24x and 40x have troubles copying it! :confused:

Yep I agree. I hope a firmware or CloneCD update will fix the problems. I will run some more tests soon and check some things.

G@M3FR3@K
when your Plex 48x review will be ready on Cdfreaks?
I think all of us are waiting for it! :slight_smile:

When it’s done.

As to SD 2.51: GF, please check the following:

Use betablocker to get the exact location of the 1212 and 14B9-sector of a certain disc. Then make a burn with AWS and read the disc in a Toshiba 1502, with error correction set to none.
I want to know if a) only the sector itself, b) also the sector before and after, or c) the sector before and the 2 sectors after the weak ones are unreadable.

I will try some things but I’m now on DAE and the advanced test alone will take more than 6 hours! Please people be patient :slight_smile: I will try to wrap up this review this week. I had some problems with my computer last week and couldn’t do any tests. Trying to catch up now but like I said if a test takes 6 or more hours I can’t really work faster :wink: If you have questions in the meantime I will try to answer them. So if you have a specific question please ask!

So,
what about the heat and the noise produced by the drive during 48x operations (reading & writing)? :slight_smile:
Is it limited to 24x speed in RAW DAO mode?

Reading and writing is fairly quiet. It’s pretty much like the PX-W4012A drive. What did strike me was that when you do a seek times test with Nero CD Speed, the drive makes some weird scratching noises. I guess this is normal since the seek times have been improved dramaticaly with this new drive (Plextor 40X had about 120ms, this Plextor 48X has less than 65ms). I will do some tests writing in DAO-RAW later today. The drive is still running the advanced DAE tests now…

I will try some things but I’m now on DAE and the advanced test alone will take more than 6 hours!

That sounds like the problem the guys from CDRLabs also had.
Apparantely the Plextor keeps trying to read (much) beyond the lead-out without reporting an error.
If it’s indeed the lead-out test which is taking so long you could just press the eject button.
It doesn’t really matter if it can read 10 sectors or 10000 sectors from the lead-out. Usually 1 or 2 is sufficient for perfect audio copies.

Reading and writing is fairly quiet. It’s pretty much like the PX-W4012A drive. What did strike me was that when you do a seek times test with Nero CD Speed, the drive makes some weird scratching noises. I guess this is normal since the seek times have been improved dramaticaly with this new drive (Plextor 40X had about 120ms, this Plextor 48X has less than 65ms). I will do some tests writing in DAO-RAW later today. The drive is still running the advanced DAE tests now…

just wanted to know if you found this drive noisy at all…got mine today, burned a disc @ 38x speed and no noise @ all, but when reading the disc found it a bit noisy, esp with the Nero disc that comes with the drive. Ahhh…just speed testing with NeroCD speed with the cdr i burnt and its really quiet now…strange!!

Any one else got this plex and if so, how quiet do you find it on reading a disc??

Del

The loedness of the drive varies a bit. Some discs are played/read louder than other discs…

Mine is a bit louder than the 2410 I had before. It almost drowns out the fans on my computer <G>.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
The loedness of the drive varies a bit. Some discs are played/read louder than other discs… [/QUOTE