Plextor 40x12x40x and dao-raw

I want to buy this beauty, but I’m curious
of one thing - dao-raw. Officialy this plextor doesn’t support it. I know it works with dao-raw, but the speed is limited to 24x. What’s this all about. Why can’t this plextor wright at 40x in dao-raw. Is there
any way to break this rool ? It might sound silly to you, but does this plextor do good with dao-raw ?

I hope you are aware that this drive can’t do the latest SD2 revision without the use of AWS or Betablocker.

Yes, I do know that, but please answer my question.

I have this drive, and I don’t understand that
‘Officially Supported’ thing…

I’ve burnt DAO-RAW in both Nero 5.5.x and Clone CD 4
and seem to have no trouble with it…

Nero Info Tool also reports the drive having the
DAO-RAW mode capability.

Now as far as it writing at 40x… no clue…

I’ve burnt about 10-20 different brands of media on it,
all different speed ratings.

Also using the latest firmware, 1.02 that’s available.

I tend to let it burn at the best speed that the
writer determines, so that I get the best burn possible.

I prefer the data integrity over the burning speed.

This writer is VERY picky on what types of media that it’ll burn
at 32x or higher… most of my burns never go higher
than 32x, usually staying around 24x.

I just wanted the Plextor reliability, and the Mount Rainier capability once they standardize the format.

As far as game copying… I own a Lite-On also for that…:smiley:

This drive has its ups and downs (i own it) :wink:

Advant
*It is a Plextor … :wink: (quality, guarantee…)
*Perfect audio extraction / Can read most protected audio cds

Disadvant
*Can write audio @24x
*Can do raw dao @24x
*Is M.Rainier ready but don’t support it yet (till this is supported by MS OS)
*Can be very picky on used media
*Price

Your choice … :wink: … i bought it

Hmm yes I too thought that the Plextor PX-W4012A was limited to 24x recording when writing audio but my Plextor PX-W4012TU (external USB 2.0 recorder which is the same drive as the ‘A’) is not limited as long as you use proper media. Here’s a screenshot of writing audio with Nero Burning Rom:

I have also done some tests when writing in DAO-RAW and as you can see my Plextor is again not limited. This was done doing a simulation (I only have one 40x CD-Recordable disc left which I need for future reviews):

Tests were done with 40x certified Maxell media and using firmware 1.02.

Quite interesting G@M3FR3@K

As far as writing raw-dao is concerned, i am sure that my P4012A can not write >@24x, i’ve run numerous tests and even e-mailed Plextor about it. I never run any sim on it though, so maybe it may show it can under simulation.

The 24x limitation is something i have not tested by now, since i never burn audio >@16x. It is something i have come up against here numerous times though.

I find it hard to believe though, the the TU model can do raw-dao and audio @40x while the ide model can’t. Basically they’re the same model and both use the same fw. What one does, the other should be able to do also, right?

Yes you’re completely right. Since I never had a Plex 40x before I could not test it before. Now I do have the TU model which is completely the same as the A version, I did some tests for the review and audio burned fine at 40x. The disc also sounded just fine. I used the discs delivered with the drive (Maxell manufactured) and they had no problems reaching 40x. One problem I’m facing is that 40x media is hard to come by and I only have one disc left which I want to save for future review(s). I had five first but I used some for the Lite-On 48x review (discs could be written at 48x without problems). Perhaps I should just try writing with CloneCD without simulation although I think it will have the same result. Simulation is no different than writing for real right? It’s indeed very strange that people have been reporting that this Plextor drive is limited to 24x when writing audio. Mine isn’t. That much is clear. Too bad I can’t test other 40x media. I think our best guess is that the Plextor can write at 40x when writing audio (and RAW-DAO) but it depends greatly on the used media… Would be nice to get some feedback on this from other users. I’ll make this thread sticky…

thing is nero is crap at showing actual speed of burn, if u put a x1burn speed disc in, and set it 2 burn at x40 , nero will report a succesfull x 40 burn:eek: that is why all these:rolleyes: people who say they are burning at x40 with nero are incorrect. try it, burn an audio cd at x24 note the time to burn,then burn at x40 bet u its the same:confused:

Originally posted by bigsyd
thing is nero is crap at showing actual speed of burn, if u put a x1burn speed disc in, and set it 2 burn at x40 , nero will report a succesfull x 40 burn:eek: that is why all these:rolleyes: people who say they are burning at x40 with nero are incorrect. try it, burn an audio cd at x24 note the time to burn,then burn at x40 bet u its the same:confused:
Look at the time of burning in the nero pics above; it is 40x burning …

Duh :wink: I know how Nero works, bigsyd :wink: The burn was done at 40x. No doubt about that. CloneCD also reported 40x when doing a simulation. Do other people have same screenshot(s) to verify this?

well ok ,as a prime example… safedisc x32 speed , when used in nero cd speed, max write speed on my pute is x24. are we all agreed that nero cd speed is a good bench mark util to use for finding out true writing speed? ( yes the original plex disc that came with my 40/12/40a wrote at x40 with nero cd speed ) but if i use safedisc x32 with nero, and set it 2 write at x40 to make an audio cd or data cd , it will show that it has completed at x40 successfuly. When writing at the so called x40 the flashing led on the writer dose not change its speed , it is the same speed as x24 writing. but according to nero i am writing at x 40 .So in my novice no nothing conclusion, the speed is governed by the max speed that the plex writer will write to the disc, and if that max is x24 nero will say that it has completed at x40 .

forgot to say , i can give u a screen shot of nero burning at x40 ,but the writer has only burned at x24 because of the time it takes to burn a full disc, and the speed the led flashes is the same speed as x24 writing:) have u always believed what u read

Bigsyd give it a rest, as g@m3fr3@k already said, we know that :wink:

Please check on the burn time on the pic above, the burn was done at 40X.

Yes and I also checked the LED’s on the drive. I can hear the drive switching between write zones three times (20X -> 24X -> 32X -> 40X). Now I know it’s weird but fact is, the write was done at 40x!

now i am happy, as u say with the lights and changing between write zones it is writing at x40, but why ???even plex say there writers are limited to x24 for audio.
just a question, is it only plex that limit audio write? can lieton write audio at any speed :confused:

Ok here’s the answer: someone from Plextor gave me the explanation which is quite simple. The Plextor PX-W4012A is indeed limited to 24x recording (for audio, don’t know about DAO-RAW but I presume it’s also limited). The Plextor PX-W4012TU, although basically the same drive as the A version, is not limited. When using the PlexTools software you can see a note for the PX-W4012A version that it’s limited for audio recording. The PX-W4012TU doesn’t have this note:

Before anyone askes: the A and TU version use the same firmware so you can’t flash your A drive with the TU firmware to get it to record audio at maximum speed.

Originally posted by bigsyd
can lieton write audio at any speed
Yes. The Lite-On is not limited and will write audio at maximum speed (if your media can handle it of course).

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
Duh :wink: I know how Nero works, bigsyd :wink: The burn was done at 40x. No doubt about that. CloneCD also reported 40x when doing a simulation. Do other people have same screenshot(s) to verify this?

I guess, at 40 speed mode, yes Nero will always report this,
Only Plextools shows true speed.
btw. the 40 speed Plextor drive will only burn audio cdr’s at
24 speed, (hardware safety precaution) to keep quality good.

No Fugitive, read the posts:

The Plextor PX-W4012TU (external USB 2.0 model) can burn audio at 40X

The Plextor PX-W4012A is indeed limited. Just as I already said in my previous post.

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
[B]No Fugitive, read the posts:

The Plextor PX-W4012TU (external USB 2.0 model) can burn audio at 40X

The Plextor PX-W4012A is indeed limited. Just as I already said in my previous post. [/B]

So thats why its taking 10 more sec. to burn:p