Plextor 40\12\40a

Im not sure what is causing my problem. When i try to read a cd the buffers just fill up and the read speed goes very low and then to about 12x constantly.

This happens with all of my progs (clonecd, nero, alcohol etc)(all newest versions)

it has been doing this a while but it never used to do this

I have in primary IDE as MASTER on its own.
DMA active.
WinXP Pro+SP1.
1.04 firmware.
my hard drive is 20 gig and in secondary master on its own.
512mb pc133 ram.
750mhz AMD duron.:eek:
aspi layer 4.60 (tried other but still does same thing)

TIA

Check if your UDMA is activated in the device manager or in control panel.

if not, activate it, if you activate it and restart but it stays in pio mode, remove “just delete it” the drive controller from device manager, and restart, it will install again with the UDMA option working.

now you will be able to burn at Max Speed.

i tried what you said but it did not work. i still have the same problem.

UDMA was enabled already.

Plextor Drives can only Read at +/- 8x when in RAW-DAO Mode “used to backup Protected CD’s”, this could be your problem, use alchool 120% and try to use DAO-SAO instead.

I Think it should solve your problem.
:cool:

Originally posted by IzNoGoud
[B]Plextor Drives can only Read at +/- 8x when in RAW-DAO Mode “used to backup Protected CD’s”, this could be your problem, use alchool 120% and try to use DAO-SAO instead.

I Think it should solve your problem.
:cool: [/B]
Not quite, it’s only the P4012A drive and its external cousin that has the limitation of reading only at 8x when extracting the subs.

When raw-dao is used for writing it is limited to writing at 24x, but with the latest firmware that allows the PoweRec to be disabled, this prob is surpassed (although i wouldnt recommend disabling it).

it’s only the P4012A drive and its external cousin
And its SCSI brother :wink: 12X reading doesn’t indicate that the drive is slowing down because of extracting the Subs since the read speed should then be limited to 8X. adyo if I understand it correctly you have your writer on IDE1 (master) and your hard disk on IDE2 (master)? You should switch that to IDE1 (master) hard disk and IDE2 (master) your writer. Let us know if that makes a difference.

For the record: do you have PlexTools? You can try some things with this software. Also try PXInfo to get some more information on your Plextor drive (which you can of course also post here). How does your drive perform when recording discs? Can you burn at 40X without buffer underruns?

i will let u know if this works

Plextor 40\12\40a

Hey, ADYO!

This is a known problem. Plextor has a very involved fix. Your best bet is to contact plextor and they will send you a detailed email with an attachment.

I’ll give you and “overview” (you still need to contact Plextor) that only works for XP (plextor will send you a fix for any OS’s). Keep in mind to reboot between all these steps to be on the safe side.

1. Uninstall “ALL” burning software such as, Adaptec CD Creator, Plextor Manager 2000, SimplyCD, Nero, CloneCD and CDRWin.

2. Delete the Adaptec and Plextor folders from C:\Program Files. Delete any other CD recording software folder that may be left over. And empty the recycle bin.

3. Do a global search and rename or delete these files (better to rename with an extension of .001):
    cdr4vsd.sys, cdr4dll.dll, wowpost.exe, aspi32.sys, winaspi.dll, cdrtc.dll, cdr4_xp.sys, cdrall.dll

4. Edit your registery only if you meet the following conditions:

a) You have past experince editing the registery
b) You “will” back-up of the registery
c) You know how to restore the registery if you screw something up.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and remove any entries for Adaptec, Plextor Corp, Ahead, Oak Technology, SimplyCD, Nero, CloneCD and any other CD Burner software that you uninstalled.

Go to HKEY_CURRENT USER\SOFTWARE and remove any entries for Adaptec, Plextor Corp, Ahead, Oak Technology, SimplyCD, Nero, CloneCD and any other CD Burner software that you uninstalled.

1. Call plextor and have them send you the XP (exact version that you have) by email with the attachment for your particular OS. Follow those instructions on how to install the ASPI layer attachemnt and support files.

2. If you are running Windows XP, do not install Plextor Manager, please install Simply CD software only. If you do not have SimplyCD, please install Easy Cd Creator 5 or above.

3. Test the installation by trying to copy a CD. Do a single-drive copy, that is read from the Plextor drive to the Plextor drive. You can do this by choosing you Plextor drive as both the source and the destination in the CD copy function (DiscDupe, or Copy a CD).

4. If the test works you are good to go on installing your other software.

I had the same problem on a 98 machine and also had the same problem as you… worked fine for a while then this problem appeared. The above fix may now be on their site as I was one of the first to get this burner model. As I understand it, the problem is with the “point” the ASPI layer is installed and not the ASPI layer itself. However, different versions of the ASPI layer works better for different OS’s so they send you an attachment that is installed using a batch file in the right order, and right ASPI layer for your machine.

I was pretty dissapointed with this Plextor since I bought it for the sole purpose of being solid with little problems. Of course after the fix, everything worked well and I haven’t had the problem crop up again. It seems once it is installed in the right order, you won’t have this problem show its ugly face again regardless the software that you install later. Still, I am afraid to install any newer version of the ASPI layer.