Plextor 40/12/16A Vs. Plextor Premium

vbimport

A few months ago, my next to last real original Plextor cd writer went bad. I purchased a batch of used Plextor premiums on ebay. I’ve been finding my TY & Falcon scans have gone from an average of 99 with burns made on the old Plex to an average of 97 with burns made on the Premiums. For what it’s worth, I’m scanning with an Optiarc dvd writer.

Question: are the Premiums lower quality then the older real Plextors, or is this likely just another sign of declining media quality in the last year?

or any other ideas…?

You probably have a well used drive or a slightly poorer batch of TY media - I’ve found that they vary a little from batch to batch.

Cheers

James.

In the last month I have bought a new Premium2 to replace my aging PX-W124TSi.

Doing tests I have found that the Premium2 is not quite able to achieve burns to the quality, scanned with a Benq 1650 and tested on an old Philips player, that the 10 year old PX-W124TSi can. Maybe the Premium2 will improve with use?

Though I must admit I have not fully experimented with the additional tweaking features of the Premium2 / Plextools combination yet, still on a learning curve.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2461497]I purchased a batch of used Plextor premiums on ebay.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

How can you expect used drives for which you have no direct knowledge of their history to burn with the exact same quality?

Did you clean the drives when you got them?

How much burn time did each drive have?

If anybody wants to know what the Plex Premium II is capable of, please see the CD scan in my signature. There is very little or no difference in quality between a QS 97 and 99 depending upon jitter values a 97 could be slightly better than a 99. The Premiums are real Plextors.:flower:

[QUOTE=Sonic2171;2463657]In the last month I have bought a new Premium2 to replace my aging PX-W124TSi.

[/QUOTE]

Where did you buy the new Premium2? I thought Plextor stopped making them some time back.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2461497]I purchased a batch of used Plextor premiums on ebay.[/QUOTE]
As much as I love the original Premium, I wouldn’t buy batches of previously-used units unless it was for rippping purposes only. That’s why 5 out of my 7 Premiums were purchased New, even if I bought them very late (3 of them within the past 12 months). The other 2 units were like-new, from individual sellers who weren’t offering mass quantities of the drive.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2461497]Question: are the Premiums lower quality then the older real Plextors, or is this likely just another sign of declining media quality in the last year?[/QUOTE]
The only thing ‘wrong’ with the original Premiums is that they won’t burn at 2x or 1x. But I’ve achieved some very nice burns at 4x and 20x - depending upon the CD-Rs I am using.

[QUOTE=Sonic2171;2463657]Though I must admit I have not fully experimented with the additional tweaking features of the Premium2 / Plextools combination yet, still on a learning curve.[/QUOTE]
AMQR, GigaRec, VariRec, and the burning speeds, can all make quite the difference on the same model of CD-Rs. That’s why you’ll see a lot of people at CDfreaks reporting their PlexTools settings when they post their graph tests.

[QUOTE=RG;2465058]Where did you buy the new Premium2? I thought Plextor stopped making them some time back.[/QUOTE]
New Premium2s always have been and still are actively sold in Japan. That’s where I bought mine from, for the three drive bezels (white/black/silver). Now, I don’t follow the European market very closely, so I can’t really say whether or not the drive is still available over there, but I know the drive appeared in white-bezel-only packagings in Europe, and that most of the CDfreaks members who have a Premium2, got theirs from Europe.

[QUOTE=RG;2465058]Where did you buy the new Premium2? I thought Plextor stopped making them some time back.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know they are still being made (in Japan) and available from quite a few sources here in the UK.

Cheapest price around 70 GBP but up to 115 GBP.