Plextor 24x vs. Lite-On 24x

I’m buying a new pc, a Athlon X{ 1900, via www.nutrend.com. Here’s the thing, I have a choice of two cd writers Plextor 24x or Lite-On 24x. For some reason, even if I choose lite-on the price would stay to be about the same. So here’s my question, which should I get (when the price is the same)?

I’m considering these things:
Plextor is a better brand.
Plextor’s new firmware, correct me if I’m wrong, after v1.02 no longer allows for SD2 backups.
Lite-On does support all the backups, though it is a bit slower than Plextor.
Compatibility with Window XP, again with the firmware issue.

Thanks (I need a new pc ASAP, plz reply everyone)
Ruibing

PS. I heard some rumor about the latest firmware of Plextor actually reinstitutes SD2 backups, is that true? And, is v1.03 ever shipped with the drive and can it be downgraded (contrary to what I’ve heard)? Last, if I use v1.02, does anyone know any compatiblity problem with VIA chipset and Window XP?

About the SD2 thing … it depends on which chipset is used on the Burner … some chipsets simply cannot read SD2 no matter what firmware revision they use !

If the price is the same and there is a 2 year warranty on the plextor drive and a 1 year warranty on the Lite-On then the choice is obvious !

One thing to make sure of is the SD2 issue … being a Lite-On owner I cannot answer for the plextor drives only the Lite-ON and it works flawlessly with SD2 !

For about the millionth time, it seems, the SD2 isssue is dead-DEAD. ALL PLEXTOR FIRMWARES CAN DO SD2!

It was a dumb rumor started by someone who did not know what they were talking about and refuted on this very web site.

If they cost the same, then there is only one answer - plextor. I have both and like both, but the plex is better built and will do CDS as well as all other present copy protections. Lite-on will not do CDS and is slightly slower.

Originally posted by dfourthhorseman
Plextor’s new firmware, correct me if I’m wrong, after v1.02 no longer allows for SD2 backups.
Why does this keep coming back? Like said SD depends mostly on the used chipset and a different firmware version will still be able to do SafeDisc 2.

Originally posted by dfourthhorseman
Last, if I use v1.02, does anyone know any compatiblity problem with VIA chipset and Window XP?
Yes check this thread.