Plextor 16x Dvd Writer

vbimport

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=10723

lets see if the hardware is identical with 712a and someone can (or willing) to hack the fw for use in 712a :bigsmile:.

Dont think so. Never worked with any Plex drive.

According to sources, Plextor will announce next week a new recorder with the codename PX-716A. The new drive supports the fastest writing/reading speed for all CD/DVD formats…

The final specs of the drive will announced at Monday so there might be differences from our , current, information:

Writing
DVD+R: 16x (CAV)
DVD+R DL: 4X (CLV)
DVD-R: 16x (CAV)
CD-R: 48x (CAV)

Rewriting
DVD+RW: 4x (CLV)
DVD-RW: 4x (CLV)
CD-RW: 24x (P-CAV)

Reading
DVD-ROM: 16x (CAV)
CD-ROM: 48x (CAV)
Buffer Underrun Proof Technology: Stops buffer underrun errors
GigaRec Technology
SecuRec Technology
Silent Mode
Q-Check
VariRec Technology
PoweRec Technology (Plextor Optimised Writing Error Reduction Control)
Supports Lossless Linking (DVD+R/RW)
Zero Link (DVD-R/RW)
Supports Background Formatting
Access Time <100 ms for CD; 150 ms for DVD
8MB Buffer

As soon as Plextor announces the drive officially, we will cover the whole story! Stay tuned!

And another time they leak information before it should be officially announced. I guess they’ve made some people angry (again). Because I like to keep the promises I make with the companies we work with I can’t give you the exact specs, but to proof I know more I can tell you that the DVD+RW speed is most likely incorrect or they have changed it in the latest revisions…

Don’t worry, I’m sure they’ll get over their anger and survive :wink: After all, this is free advertising for Plextor … :bigsmile: which I’m sure they don’t mind at all … especially after the PX712A episode :wink: :bigsmile:

Now don’t tell me they’ll going to announce an 8x DVD+RW drive :eek: which will write at 8x on selected 4x media??? :wink:

What’s hapening with Plextor nowadays? :wink:

:eek: First they do a U turn and finally give us bitsetting capabilities on PX712A … after they were saying for years like a broken record: no bitsetting … no bitsetting … :iagree:

:eek: And now, in spite of the fact that in the past months they seemed to develop some kind of an allergy to the word Dual Layer, it looks like they will in fact release a DL unit … :bigsmile:

They are breaking all their “principles” here … :bigsmile: I don’t know what’s hapening with them but I hope it lasts, because it seems a very healthy attitude to me :iagree: After all, is all about keeping your customers happy … isn’t it?

Right! If it is that great a unit i will definiely buy one! :slight_smile:

I don’t know what’s hapening with them but I hope it lasts, because it seems a very healthy attitude to me

I totally agree. I hope the new 716A supports bitsetting. I will definitely be getting one tho :iagree: .

Well I’m not buying until I get the CVS review :wink:

Just kidding, I wonder how fast will the 16X write?

Spec’s sound like a NEC3500!!!..haha, save yourself alot of money and aggrevation and get the NEC

I don’t think so! ! !

I wouldn’t get a NEC…

A quote from a review of the 3500A

the ND-3500A wasn’t any faster writing at 16-speed than the Plextor PX-712A was writing at 12-speed. In fact, burning 4.3GB of digital images at 16-speed took over a minute longer than it did on the Plextor at 12-speed.

Have a look at the review

It’s not about the speed…it’s all about the quality, my 708 makes useless skipping movies burned @8x, if they cant get 8x burning right i doubt they will @16.
I’m not going to argue with you because i could all day.

That’s just a test of the 3500A with Verbatim’s new 16x media. If you check the comments, it’s possible the drive lowered the speed near the end because the disc quality wasn’t that great. If you check an actual review of the drive here you’ll see that the fastest burn the drive produced was under 6 minutes using Maxell 8x -R media, which is indeed faster than the PX-712A.

It’s not about the speed…it’s all about the quality

Well show me some quality burns with the NEC, I can show you all day long with the 712A

The “carefully” selected quote is from a review carried out here:

I would suggest to read the full review to get the full and true picture … if you do, you’ll find that the reviewer gave the following verdict:

“I don’t know how NEC does it, but once again it has produced a superb DVD writer at a truly stunning price. The ND-3500A is a real bargain, and the specification is ahead of the available media at present. If you’re looking for a cutting edge DVD writer, this is the one to go for.”

Moreover, the drive won the Editor’s Choice Award, with a score of almost 10/10 :bigsmile:

If you want a full blown professional review, go for the cdrinfo.com NEC3500 review. You’ll find it very interesting indeed :wink: And if you take a look in the NEC forum on this site, you’ll see way more happy users against unhappy users than for PX712A :wink: I couldn’t find any mention of someone having to RMA a drive three times either :bigsmile:, and that’s in spite of the fact that the market share of NEC and their clones (HP, TDK, MadDog) is way larger than Plextor :iagree: and the drive is way cheaper :iagree:

Did I also mentioned that you can use an “endless” number of official and unofficial FWs on this drive (NEC, HP, MadDog, TDK, Liggy’s, herrie’s, TDB’s etc), which give you pretty much every feature you want, including constantly adding support for higher writing speeds …

Examples: Beta results with Liggy’s FW: RitekG04 (4x DVD-R) @6x, 8x and even 12x if you have a good quality batch … TYG01 (4x DVD-R) @ 12x … MCC 02RG20 (8x DVD-R) @ 12X just to name few … all with excellent quality (http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=107360&page=1&pp=25)

For sure I can’t compete with Hamp’s 712A :bow:. He got one of the best plextor in this forum, burns @12 with peak PIE of 8 (??). :bow: :bow:

Now don’t tell me they’ll going to announce an 8x DVD+RW drive :eek: which will write at 8x on selected 4x media??? :wink:

This is no free advertisement for Plextor believe me. Expect the drive to do more then you expect. I think it will be officially announced next week. Keep reading our newspage: http://www.cdfreaks.com for the official annoucement.

Don’ know what people are expecting here, but I can tell you one thing for sure: The Plextor PX-716A will not be faster than the other CAV writers (BenQ / Philips, LiteOn, NEC, etc.) in 16x SL mode, because 16x CAV is the fastest speed the DVD standard allows. Since the PX-712A is the fastest 12x writer due to the P-CAV strategy at that speed (still not faster than a NEC drive in 16x mode, stop telling fairytales HAMP; it is just a bit slower than the Pioneer 108 at 16x speed since the Pioneer uses the Z-CLV strategy), the difference in speed between the 712A and 716A will rather be negligible when it comes to SL DVD+R discs. DL support and 16x max. speed for DVD-R discs are the real differences (and 8x DVD+RW writing, if true).

I’m curious what chipset Plextor will use this time.

stop telling fairytales HAMP

If you gonna attack someone, attack the people who wrote it, I was just putting a quote up.

Looking at the numbers, it is slower, 8X burnt in 9min is SLOW. I see a 12X burnt in 6:54, we only talking a few seconds here but slower then the 712A, we see only 1 TDK @ 16X burnt in 7:29, I dont know what thats all about, the 712A will burn faster then that @ 8X, I see a couple 16X burnt in 6:18 and 6:12 are they sure this is a 16X burner, because those look like 12X burns to me, well at least the ones I burn at home have been those same times.

FAIRYTALES MY ASS, even in the review, other 16X burners have beaten the NEC

I believe the Philips drive is burning in less then 6min, so I am looking forward to seeing the Plextor 716A doing the same thing…

here is another quote:

Although there are faster +R media recorders, recording times reported by the NEC ND-3500A were indeed more than satisfactory.

HAMP, did you even look at the 16x DVD-R results?

First of all, I was refering to the comment that the NEC is not faster than the PX-712A in 16x mode…

the ND-3500A wasn’t any faster writing at 16-speed than the Plextor PX-712A was writing at 12-speed. In fact, burning 4.3GB of digital images at 16-speed took over a minute longer than it did on the Plextor at 12-speed.

…which is wrong, and always will be wrong. The NEC drive burns a full SL disc (both DVD+R and DVD-R) in ~6 minutes, something the PX-712A can’t do.

example 1

example 2

etc.

You quoted that comment to back up your claim that the NEC 3500 should be avoided. And that’s exactly what spreading fairytales is, you are spreading wrong information to discredit certain products. Before you start talking about things you obviously don’t seem to have the slightest clue about, better educate yourself first.

It’s no secret that the NEC drive is slower at the lower speeds, but that’s

a) not what you wrote in first place and
b) not disputed by anyone here.

P.S.: Zealotry is bad for your health. Cool down HAMP, and remember to breathe slowly.