Plextor 16/10/40a : Firmware Issue

I am trying to downgrade firmware on my Plextor 16/10/40a. It will not allow me to do so. I have been in contact with Plextor, they say you should be able to downgrade to firmware revision 1.00 for as long as you do it correctly. I have done everything they told me to do, hundreds of times.

They have offered me to return the drive so they can do it for me at no charge. This is not a service Plextor offer but are willing to do so on this occasion! I have read posts and issues regarding firmware downgrading and as far as I can believe you cant. So what can Plextor do other than replace the drive with an older one with the firmware revision 1.00.

What is the truth behind Plextor and downgrading firmware? Can this be done yourself? I can downgrade but not to revision 1.00, 1.01 or 1.02. (even though Plextor say you can).

Which revision for my writer will copy Safedisk 2 protected games? I have heard it’s 1.00 or 1.01, is this correct?

All help appreciated!

Shane

Changing your firmware won’t affect your ability to backup or not backup some games!!!

So if that’s the reason why you are trying to downgrade, I’ll say give it up.

I thought you drive could do SD2 with cloneCD as long as you have “amplify weak sectors” enabled. I may be wrong though.

A least my 12X plextor works with SD2 when “amplify weak sectors” is on.

Sure, Amplify Weak Sectors will allow me to back-up SafeDisk 2 protected disks. I just thought that a firmware downgrade would also make it do this! I live in the UK, so I have to change regional settings to get it to become available. I would be easier if I didn’t have to do this.

I did hear that firmware downgrade would make you be able to copy safedisk2 games. It’s everywhere on the net and here!

Thanks for help anyway.

Originally posted by shaneosborne
I did hear that firmware downgrade would make you be able to copy safedisk2 games. It’s everywhere on the net and here!
It won’t, believe me. There were rare cases witht the Plextor PX-W1210A TLA#02xx and the 124TSi (SCSI) with Firmware 1.4 doing SafeDisc 2 but they are very rare. There were a lot of posts on this on www.cdfreaks.com so do a search there if you’re still interested. The 1610 model won’t do SafeDisc 2 with any firmware (except maybe with AWS of course).