First off, this same thread is posted to International Chat: Software related > General Software Questions but I wanted to also post it here in case it’s actually a Plextor issue.
Last night, I installed Windows XP Professional on my former Windows 2000 machine. I now get buffer underruns when burning. A few minutes before installing XP, I backed up some of my Windows 2000 stuff with no problems, at 12x.
Here’s what I’ve done/confirmed in a futile attempt to burn:
- Installed all the Windows XP updates
- Confirmed that the burner (PX-W124TS) firmware is most recent
- Confirmed that there are no updates for my Adaptec SCSI adaptor (29160N)
- Tried the same version of Nero and NTI that I was using successfully on 2000
- Tried burning at 1x (ick) to prove that it isn’t a throughput error
- Insure that I test and burn
- Installed the most recent ASPI layer available from Adaptec
The funny thing is, it gives me a buffer underrun very early in the test. This leads me to believe it’s a software problem between my burner and XP but I can’t find anyone else that has had the same problem.
I’m going crazy here and I really don’t want to have to buy a new burner or go back to 2000. Curiously, the HLC for XP doesn’t list my burner, but neither did Windows 2000.
Any ideas or similar experiences out there?