PlexTools won't work after Update

Hi,

my problem is, that I can’t start PlexTools after updating to version 2.08. The system freezes and the only way to get away is rebooting it (Win2000ProSP4).

Version 2.02, which was included with my Premium, works without problems aftre deinstall 2.08/ reinstall 2.02, though.

Is there a special trick when updating PlexTools?

Thx, -Alex

No there is no special trick to install PlexTools. You can install a new version over the old one without uninstalling first. Perhaps you can try to first install 2.07 over 2.02 and then upgrade to 2.08. Does that work? You can download PlexTools Professional v2.07 here (mirrors).

Unfortunately, PlexTools 2.07 shows exactly the same behaviour, installing works properly, after reboot though, PlexTools do not start but the system freezes. Only a hard reset helps then. Any other suggestions?

TIA, -Alex.

What I dislike about a new PlexTools installation is that it autostarts when you reboot (I always want to keep the amount of software that starts automatically to a minimum). There clearly seems to be a conflict between PlexTools and your system when you install v2.07 or v2.08 and reboot. How do you install v2.02? Is that also a downloaded version or is that version installed from the original disc? Here is what you can try, don’t know if it works though:

[ol][li]Install PT2.02, reboot.
[/li][li]After reboot install v2.08. Do not reboot!
[/li][li]Start PT2.08 after installing it. Go to the Preferences.
[/li][li]Clear registry settings.
[/li][li]Disable autostart option and press ok.
[/li][*]Reboot[/ol]PlexTools should now not autostart. Can you now start the software manually without problems?

I tried what you suggested, to no avail though. Point 3, start 2.08 without reboot after installing would fail the same way. So I couldn’t even reach the settings for clearing the registry. :frowning:
(BTW, I’d already disbabled the autostart option during my previous attempts to prevent system hanging immediatly after startup.)
Still, version 2.02 installed from the original software CD that came with the Premium drive works, but only if I uninstall the not working 2.08 version completely in advance. Only replacing the files by reinstalling 2.02 over 2.08 have failed, too.
I don’t know what to do further. I’ve read a support topic on the Plextor site (http://www.plextor.com/english/support/faqs/PTP00005.htm)
but it seems it only affects intel chipset 815, but I have an older BX440 chipset, so the advised driver won’t work for me…

Hmm weird… Can you try this: remove any trace of PlexTools from your system and reboot. Check again if everything has been removed. Download the upgrade for PlexTools v2.08 and install that version only (so don’t upgrade from v2.02 like you normally do). The upgrade will probably not work without using a trick. Please report back!

I’ve tried it, even with the trick, my system don’t wanna start Plextools then. It seems that there’s an issue with my hardware or its drivers. I’ve observed, that when I try to start PT2.08, I don’t even get the splash screen, nor can I here the drive making reading noises, i.e. immediate system hanging. Very strange, very annoying. In conjunction with my still unresolved DMA problem ( see here), I have the strong impression that Plextor doesn’t like my not so new hardware, or at least the Intel BX440 chipset.

Anyway, I’ll try to install the drive and its software on different hardware in the very near future (Intel 815 chipset I think). Perhaps, this will solve my problems.

Frustrating! Tried this?

Q: (10/09/02) PlexTools crashes after installing an upgrade, what can I do?
A: Please delete the registry settings: they are located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Plextor\PlexTools. Plextools should start after this.

Tried it yesterday without success. And yes, that is frustrating. We aren’t a perfect couple so far, my Premium and me, are we!? :eek:

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
[B]What I dislike about a new PlexTools installation is that it autostarts when you reboot (I always want to keep the amount of software that starts automatically to a minimum). There clearly seems to be a conflict between PlexTools and your system when you install v2.07 or v2.08 and reboot. How do you install v2.02? Is that also a downloaded version or is that version installed from the original disc? Here is what you can try, don’t know if it works though:

[ol][li]Install PT2.02, reboot.
[/li]> [li]After reboot install v2.08. Do not reboot!
[/li]> [li]Start PT2.08 after installing it. Go to the Preferences.
[/li]> [li]Clear registry settings.
[/li]> [li]Disable autostart option and press ok.
[/li]> [li]Reboot[/ol]PlexTools should now not autostart. Can you now start the software manually without problems? [/B][/li]

I agree which is why I user the last freeware version of RegCleaner.

Originally posted by Sorondil
I agree which is why I user the last freeware version of RegCleaner.
Yeah, I use the same tool! Too bad the software is not freeware anymore… I know I could buy it but I don’t use it that often. But when I do use it, it’s great software.

Hi,
I wanna report back that the problem is solved.
After moving hdd and Premium drive to a different Asus mainboard with an Intel815 chipset (without reinstalling W2k), I could install PT2.08 succesfully and it seems to work fine since then. I still suspect the premium drive to have some issues when being used with a BX440 chipset. I think so, cause my DMA problem has also vanished after switching the system.
Have a good one.

Good luck with the new hardware LeVoeff. Thanks for the update.