Plextools, Win XP PRO x64

Any versions of Plextools (Pro, XL, LE) compatible with Windows XP Pro x64?

PTP 2.36? PTPXL/LE 3.13?

BTW the 716UF and 755UF would work in that OS wouldn’t they?

PlexTools Professional XL 3.16 is free now and should work ok for you http://www.plextools.com/download/download.asp

I use it with Vi$ta Ultimate 64 bit and no problems.

I’ve been using PlexTools XLv3.12 on Windows XP x64 for at least a year. No problems thus far. Got damn-near-identical C1 graph results (the individual spikes and all) on a Premium-U plugged into a Windows XP Pro 32bit system, compared to a the same disc tested in internal Premium within a Windows XP x64 system.

I think I’m going to ditch Windows XP x64 soon, though. P2P totally sucks when you can only have 10 connections, and when trying to mod your x64 tcpip.sys file results in occasional (but inevitable) crashes that don’t happen with a modded tcpip.sys file on XP Professional 32bit. Windows XP x64 is good for running on a workstation, but I don’t want it on my personal system anymore.

Thanks for the replies about 3.16 and 3.12, and the use of the Premium-U on XP x64.

I don’t actually have XP x64, but am trying to decide whether or not to go 64-bit with my next computer. If I’m forced to buy sooner rather than later it’d probably be XP w/ downgrade and Vista Ult. If I can wait 'till Windows 7 is out, hopefully there’d still be an XP downgrade option. That way I could have both. Only problem is I don’t know if I should go 64-bit or stick to 32.

Anyway, Thanks

:cool:

AFAIK there is no need for 64-bit unless one has need of very much RAM. For example on my old box (P4 3.066Ghz XPSP3) even memory hogs like Photoshop are rather limited by the speed of the processor than the 2GB RAM that are installed. Since Vista eats up more RAM than XP it might make more sense to go for Vista64 but with XP I don’t see the need. Better to keep your system slim and not install unecessary software that clutters it up to begin with.

As for WIN7 there’ve been reports it’ll apparently ‘include’ XP in the form of a virtual system to allow continueing use of existing software (important for individual company-tailored applications that would need to be adapted). If this turns out to be highly compatible with the original XP there is a real chance even old PTP Pro might run without problems.

Good info, Thanks. :slight_smile:

There’s a lot of misinformation floating around the web about 64bit. The cross-compatibility is nowhere near what it’s cracked up to be.

First of all, just because you have 8GB of RAM doesn’t mean any single 32bit application you have, is actually going to use more than 4GB of RAM.

Second of all, Windows XP x64 is basically a stripped-down version of Windows Server 2003 64bit more than it is “an upgraded 32bit XP”. What difference does that make? Well… any application you want to use that very deeply interacts with the operating system, isn’t going to work unless it was specifically designed for Windows Server or specifically designed for 64bit. You’ve got next-to-no firewalls to choose from (though this isn’t much of a problem with no worms targeting Windows XP x64), then there’s Symantec Antivirus (which is by no means bad antivirus - but it’s supposed to cost you dearly). Many 32bit programs with shell-extensions are screwed on XP x64.

Plus like I said before, I’m going to ditch XP x64 mainly because you can’t get more than 10 simultaneous network/internet connections out of it.

FYI, The release client for Windows 7 64bit os is available for testing at the Microsoft website. I just downloaded the 2.5 GB iso. Will try it out later.

BA

One question, how did a question about plextools turn into windows 7? Anyways, back to plextools. Does anyone know the difference in plextools XL and LE? I mean besides the obvious, are there any features that are added in XL that the LE doesn’t have?

[QUOTE=tikki_timbo;2270815]One question, how did a question about plextools turn into windows 7? Anyways, back to plextools. Does anyone know the difference in plextools XL and LE? I mean besides the obvious, are there any features that are added in XL that the LE doesn’t have?[/QUOTE]

The main difference for me is that LE doesn’t handle .cue files. Just about everything else seems to be in LE.

Cheers

James.