Plextools will not start

Hi

Apologies for posting a similar message to many recent threads but I am also getting a lot of problems with Plextools. I have already contacted Plextor Service (sending PlexInfo results etc) and followed previous suggestions which I found in this forum but with no success.

I have an Asus P4B motherboard (Intel 845 chipset) with two hard drives on the first IDE channel and a Plextor Premium set as MASTER and a Pioneer DVR-106D set as SLAVE on the second IDE channel. I also have a Plextor UltraPlex PX-40TS in the system connected via an Advansys SCSI card.

I have XP Pro SP1 with latest Intel chipset drivers, up-to-date Microsoft fixes and Adaptec v4.60 ASPI layer. The system is clean and stable with all unnecessary services/processes disabled (eg. built-in ATAPI CD burner) and only the (matrox) graphics card control software and Norman Personal Firewall running in the Systray (no ‘active’ virus check, I instead run NOD32 on a near-daily basis).

All my drives burn/rip well using Nero v6.0.0.28, Blindwrite v5, Clonecd and EAC 0.95pb4 (pb3 didn’t write with the Plextor Premium but pb4 is fine) indicating no obvious problems with Hardware or OS conflicts/configuration issues.

However after installing Plextools the application freezes on startup without even producing the splash-screen and just leaving a ‘PlexTool.exe’ process in ‘Task Manager’ using 90%+ CPU! If I remove the Pioneer DVR-106D (and keep it removed) then Plextools will start once, but it is not stable and soon crashes ‘never-to-start-again’ barring complete re-install (and I don’t want to leave the Pioneer removed coz it’s a super drive!).

I have gone though several cycles of installing/uninstalling Plextools v2.02, v2.07, v2.08 (carefully deleting registry entries after uninstall) but always with the same results. :a

Any ideas, anybody? Failing that are there any other applications which would allow me to use the VariRec (OK, Nero ‘a bit’ for this one), GigaRec and the Jitter/Error Checking functionality I ORIGINALLY PURCHASED the Plextor Premium for?

Thanks for any help!

Hi Jazzstorage,

are you using CloneCD version 4.2x with Virtual Drive enabled (that is, at least one virtual CD)? If yes, try to deactivate it all virtual drives…

If you haven’t done it yet, try also to start Plextools manually and don’t let it start automatically during boot…

Hope this helps…

ET

Many thanks for the reply…

I removed CloneCD, and the two other drives from the system. I also took the Plextools icon out of the startup folder and I still couldn’t get Plextools to start!

I’m very disappointed as most of the reasons for buying a Plextor Premium seem to be negated if you can’t get the Plextools running…

It seems to me that too many people are having problems with this software…

Hi jazzstorage,

your disappointment is absolutely legitimate.
Plextools is an essential counterpart of the Premium drive.

I don’t know how many people are experiencing problems… I can say that in my case the only conflict was with the VirtualCloneDrive of CloneCD 4.2.

Hope that someone else or Plextor support will be able to help you, I ran out of suggestions…

Good luck,

ET

Originally posted by jazzstorage
I’m very disappointed as most of the reasons for buying a Plextor Premium seem to be negated if you can’t get the Plextools running…

I removed CloneCD, and the two other drives from the system.
How and Why did you do that ?

You should’ve just DISABLED the Virtual Drives in Device Manager like this :

[B]Disable =

to make a device nonfunctional[/B].
For example, if you disable a device in a hardware configuration,
you cannot use the device when your computer uses that hardware configuration.
Disabling a device frees the resources that were allocated to the device.

When you disable a device, the physical device stays connected to your computer.
The drivers are available again when you enable the device.

Important

If you disable a device that is required to start the system,
such as your floppy disk drive or DVD/CD-ROM drive, these devices will not work, and your system might not start.

Plextor UltraPlex PX-40TS in the system connected via an Advansys SCSI card.

This SCSI might cause you the trouble.

As I always say, get [COLOR=blue]PXInfo, run it and send the log to Plextor.[/COLOR]

Originally posted by BoSkin

This SCSI might cause you the trouble.

check this out >

i disabled virtual conedrive, never used it anyway, but just wondering what kind of interference could it cause???

The reason why some PlexTools’ functions do not work correctly is that PT uses MMC commands.
If there is the Virtual CloneDrive active, which is not MMC compatible,
PT gets confused and does not work properly.

Historically, each manufacturer of CD recorders used a different command set, and perhaps even altered the commands with each new recorder. This has placed a significant burden on CD-R software authors, who have to write new drivers for each new device. This made software packages larger in size and delayed software releases due to extra work required.
MMC (Multi Media Command) compliant recorders use a common command set. It was developed specifically so that software developers could write one set of drivers for one MMC-compliant recorder and be able to write to all others. This would enable consumers to be able to use their choice of software without the long delays usually associated with the introduction of new hardware.

Many thanks for the suggestions regarding SCSI card

Unfortunately I tried disabling the SCSI card in Device Manager and uninstalling/reinstalling but Plextools still wouldn’t start. In desperation I physically removed SCSI card DVD-R drive so the only drive still connected was the Plextor Premium (as Master on IDE channel 2)… Plextools still wouldn’t load!!!

I’ve already sent PXInfo output to Plextor Service and they haven’t been able to help

I wonder if it’s my motherboard chipset. I have an Asus P4B with i845 chipset which is just about as ‘standard’ as they come, but I read somewhere that Plextools is incompatible with i815 chipset MBs (unbelievable if true!!!)

Otherwise I guess I’ll have to hope that there’ll be a version of EAC with ‘Plex Premium’ support soon or maybe just sell the drive… what a waste of money! :frowning:

Hi, jazzstorage

I had a simular problem a while ago with Plextools 1.19.
when nothing seemed to help, I made a temporary ‘dual boot’.
One partition with my old system on it, and a new clean install
on the second boot partition.

On the clean partition I only installed the apropriate drivers, to
get the system to run. e.g.; graphic card drivers, chipset drivers
and so on. Every thing was kept to a minimum. After that I
installed Plextools, which now worked :bigsmile:.

I then made an image of the partition with ‘Acronis True Image’,
so I was able to restore it quickly, if somthing should go wrong, when I started to install all the ohter software.

Nothing never did go wrong? so I never found out what caused
Plextools tho crash.

Now I deleted the partition with my old system on and merged
the emphty space with my new one, using ‘partition magic’.

To Beer_dog
hi, unluckly i’ve got the same proplem and i’d like to ask some questions to Beer_dog.

like the other user,after installing plextools, when i reboot, it “freezees” and i can’t load or start anything(and i HAVE TO restore an image from pc dos). so i tried, as you said to install it selecting a folder to install to in an other partition (different from the one where i have my os).
The something changed, now something works, but not at all, i can load all the programs exept from plextool who doesn’t start and, if i open the source manager it freezees again and i have to reboot manually.

i have really no idea of what a can do now. can you help me please?i did something wrong?

thanks a lot.

Hi Wolvie, if i understand you right, you have restored your image and then installed plextools to a different folder, on a different partition? Or have you installed your image to a different partition?

That’s not what I meant. I kept my old OS so I was still able to work while I was experimenting on the other (newly created) partition. I was using a ‘boot manager’ (boot magic) to get access to both systems. On the new partition, I installed my OS from scratch to prevent all kinds of drivers from loading. You probably have a pre made image with lots of software installed. So it won’t do you any good to restore it, in this case. Installing plextools to a different folder on a different partition won’t help a bit.

Keep in mind that those disc manipulating tools (Partition Magic, Acronis True Image), can do a lot of damage if you’re not familiar with them.

I hope I haven’t misguided you too much.

Originally posted by wolvie

like the other user,after installing plextools, when i reboot, it “freezees” and i can’t load or start anything(and i HAVE TO restore an image from pc dos).
thanks a lot.

Did you try to hit F5 during boot and then select safemode.
In safe mode you should be able to uninstall plextools.

BeeR_DoG

Hi, Beer_Dog

Thanks for your suggestions…

I will be replacing my motherboard/CPU over the next few weeks and will be performing a complete system re-install at that time (I’ll probably be getting a i865PE-based motherboard).

I’ll report back on whether Plextools are prepared to work with the new setup… (otherwise you’ll see an advertisement in the ‘for sale’ section)

I’m still rather disappointed (<-- understatement here) over how ‘sensitive’ Plextools appears to be in regards system-setup and possibly hardware compatibility… It seems to me that the product should be mature by now as Plextor has had more than enough years to get it working in most ‘standard’ system configurations

All in all, it would be interesting to hear what Plextor would say about your issue.

Hi BoSkin

First Email from Plextor after describing my problem:

Dear sir ,

I would advice you to disconnect the pioneer drive and check then.

Further I would advice you to deinstall any virtual device installed on your computer.

Kind regards ,

Second Email after telling them this didn’t work:

Dear sir ,

The only thing I can advice is to check that the latest busmaster drivers for your mainboard are installed.
But if that doesn’t solve the problem then I can’t solve it.

Kind regards ,

As I say, I will be doing an MB/CPU replacement and reformat/fresh install in the near future… Plextools will be the first thing I install after the O/S…

As I say, I will be doing an MB/CPU replacement and reformat/fresh install in the near future… Plextools will be the first thing I install after the O/S…

wise decision. :bigsmile:

Plextools will be the first thing I install after the O/S…
Firewall, antivirus, antispam, diskeeper, ad-aware and the like go first in my case. :smiley: