Plextools: what LBA end position for a FE/TE scan of a DVD+R DL?

Hi everybody,

I’ve searched the forum but couldn’t find the answer to the following problem:

I’d like to do a FE/TE scan of a dual layer disc (8.5 GB). I’m using PlexTools Professional 2.25 which stop at LBA 2621440 and therefore at the end of a 4.7 GB disc. What LBA do I have to enter as end position for a 8.5 GB disc? I found the value 4173824 at HardTecs4u, in an article a well-known Alexander Noé has written. :bigsmile:
Well… therefore I answered my question myself, I guess. If Alex says so, who will contradict… :bigsmile:

Ok, a different question: why 4173824? Can you calculate that value, or look it up somewhere?

Greetz,
Lord Voldemort

A DVD+R DL has 4173824 sectors.

Besides that, the wrong default value in PlexTools for this test should have been fixed loooooong ago. At least I thought it was fixed O_O

Because standard DVD+R DL size is 4173823 blocks? Add one more block to cover the entire area? :confused: :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: alexnoe beat me to it.

So it is 4173824, not 4173823 (from kprobe).

Hehe, ok, easy answer. :bigsmile: Thx! :slight_smile:

Besides that, the wrong default value in PlexTools for this test should have been fixed loooooong ago.
Indeed! Quite embarrassing.

not 4173823 (from kprobe).
Well the LBAs are [0…4173823], but what you enter is only the last LBA, the LBA where it stops if the disc doesn’t end earlier, so any greater number than that should actually work

Lord Voldemort,

PlexTools Professional defaults to 10Gb scanning since version 2.20, but it won’t change the value if it has been set by a previous version. So, to see it you must manually delete Plextools’ registry keys, or at least the key

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Plextor\PlexTools\Fe-TE Error Test\EndDVD

when the application is NOT running (otherwise, it will set it again to the value currently present in the “End position” field of the FE-TE Settings Tab on exit).

Regards, :slight_smile:

ET

Ah, I see. Thx! :slight_smile: