Plextools PIPO scans v Nero CDSpeed

vbimport

Hi, I wonder whether anyone has any comments or observations regarding the validity of Plextools PIPO scans versus Nero CDSpeed scans. For a long time I considered the PIPO scans more accurate/vaid, but time and again I come across discs which have great PIPO scans (PIE’s < 10, POE’s = 0) but have some slow downs reading discs. In the CDRinfo review of the PX-716, there are many places where there is a drop in the CDSpeed read rate, where the PIPO scan shows no reason why this might be. Just a random example, take the CDRinfo scans of TY-R x8 @16 on Page 5 of the Plextools scans. The CDSpeed read is struggling between 0.7 and 1.6 GB, but the PIPO scan is fine.

All of these test methods, especially PIPO scans take some time. Even with quality media, I get the odd coaster in a pack or spindle, so feel I need to scan every written disc. I just wish I had a cost and time-effective way of doing it.

avsgenie,

I’m having the same concerns are you are: I get very different results from PlexTools and Nero CD-DVD Speed, especially on the spindle of Sony D11 00 +R disks. I will post my conclusing on these disks in my other post, Who’s Lying: Plextor of Nero CD-DVD Speed.

In the old days, before I found this forum, I used to burn my disks on my Plextor drives and never give them a second thought. Now, like you, I feel the need to scan every disk. I think spending too much time here can create undue paranoia. I guess the real test is whether we can read the disks or not. I think the best we can do is to buy first-rate media and find which ones do the best with our particular drive, and go with it. Poor media pruduces poor results. Good media produces better results, although not consistent. I think we get varying quality even in the same spindle. I tire of these tests. I just want to burn my disks and go on with life instead of being a Pi/Po junkie.

Mark :slight_smile:

Then, IMHO, you have bought the wrong drive : a Pioneer DVR-108 or a Benq 1620 work very well right out of the box. :cool:
I you decide to go with the Plextor 716, you should spend some time to tweak the drive. :Z
This is inherent to the Autostrategy feature the drive has : it learns and adapts for better quality by burning disk after disk.
Plextor especially targets “Pi/Po junkies” as you call them. These people enjoy “testing” their Plextor drive and doing Pi/Po scans.
If you’re not like that, the PX-716 is not really for you, get a Benq or a Pioneer (NEC3500 is also good). :iagree: :iagree:

I have a BenQ 1620 and a NEC 3500A. I’ve burned many disks testing autostrategy and I don’t see where it’s all that brilliant. I’ve had 5 PX-716A’s and there has been something wrong with everyone of them. The one I got Friday has now started vibrating badly with every disk I put in the drive. The only drive I have that seems to be OK is the one Plextor sent back to me after and RMA. It’s a TLA0101. I have firmware version 3 now, but this drive isn’t quite ready for prime time yet. I loathe the day I went into Best Buy and started my adventure with this drive. I’ve been buying Plextor drives since the early 90s and I’m not a novice to all this, except these scans.

Mark

Same here : have bought almost every CDRW plextor ever made :
8/20 SCSI, 4/2/20 SCSI, 12/4/40 SCSI, UltraPlex 40 (2x), 40/4/40, 48/24/48 external, 52/24-32/52, …
All of them are still working !! :smiley: :iagree: :iagree:
Trouble started with their DVD-writers : bought a PX-708a, PX-712a (2x) and finally a PX-716a.
I had to RMA every first DVD-writer because of failures !! :a :Z :Z
Plextor has build a name with their CDRW drives, but they don´t deserve it when you look at the poor quality
of their DVD-writers like the PX-716a. Not to mention the high price you have to pay !! :Z :Z

Personally, I take the PI/PO scans with a grain of salt and use the primarily as an indication of the burn quality. When I burn a disc I use Nero CD-DVD Speed or PlexTools and do a simple Read Transfer Rate test, using my PX-716A. If the produced graph has a smooth line then I consider it a good burn. It simply takes too much time to do a PI/PO test after every burn. But, when I make a back-up of important files I do always perform a PI/PO test just to put my mind at ease :wink: That’s how I do it!

Thanks for the opinions. I agree with all of them. I don’t want to be a PIPO junkie, only wishing to ensure that the burns are good ones. Most of my discs are not simple replaceable rips. I now tend to only use PI/PO tests on comparing media, and if the CD-DVD Speed test is not a straight line. I am still perplexed why a good/exemplary PI/PO scan should not always give a perfect speed test.

@ G@M3FR3@K, do you use your Plextor for the CD-DVD Speed test, or an alternative drive?

Parity Inner Errors and Parity Outer Failures are only one factor in the readability. Parity Inner Failures are another, and IMHO, more likely to cause the drive to use more extensive error correction (and maybe sector re-reads) thus slowing it down. Yet another factor is jitter, and the particular drive’s (in)ability to ignore it. Complicating all this, is that there seems to be a link between PIE, PIF, POF, and jitter, ie. high PIE are usually accompanied by high PIF, and really high PIE & PIF are accompanied by the presence of POF.

My main use for absolute PIE values is a determinant in how long I think the disc will last before becoming unreadable. I have a disc or two with PIE>280 that are still readable, but I suspect they won’t stay that way for very long - a new scratch, no matter how tiny, could finish it off.

My barebone computer only has room for one optical drive :wink: So, I most often use my PX-716A for the test but sometimes my PX-712UF which is an external drive. But, due to this drive being external I cannot reach read speed faster than 9x so I prefer to use my internal drive.

How fast can you write using your PX-712UF ?
Do you use USB 2.0 or Firewire (1394) ?

Is this 9x speed a limitation of the Plextor case (IDE - usb/firewire conversion)
or is your system (PCI usb2.0/1394) somehow limiting this speed to 9x ?

I wonder if a PX-716UF is also limited to 9x… that would be really bad !!

Sorry for being unclear: I am using my PX-712A in an unofficial case (which was originally for a 40x Plextor CD-RW drive) and it only supports USB 2.0. I suspect that via FireWire I could reach full speed. I haven’t tested the PX-712UF via its original case unfortunately. My system itself is more than fast enough (AMD64 3500+).

I agree Plextools PIPO scans is time consuming.In real life, after learning the scans and knowing what media is good at what speed, I never scan my backups anymore. :iagree:

Back to the topic.
avsgenie, you’re observing PIPO vs transfer rate scan? IMHO, I don’t take seriously the transfer rate scan especially for movie backups, since home dvdplayer only read the disk at lower speed.

I just wish I had a cost and time-effective way of doing it.

Scanning a disk in BenQ/NeroCDSpeed is a lot faster than using PlextorDrive/Plextools. With Nero, we can scan in one click and after 10 minutes will show everything: PIE, PIF, Jitter, Read and Write speed. I hope that NeroCDSpeed will support plextor’s drive in the future.