Plextools need to be running in back ground?

vbimport

I have asked this before,but no ones seem’s to know for sure.Do you have to keep Plextools running in background when ripping or burning a disk,for the settings in Plextools to take effect??I turn it off(one less process)as my computer is older,giving as many rescources to ripping/burning as possible!When I rip/burn,I don’t use my computer for anything else until it’s complete!Thanks!

Voodoo

A lot of people here seem to think that you do need Plextools running in order to access the drive’s features, but I don’t believe it for a minute. All of the Plextor drive’s hardware features can be accessed/modified as needed by the software you happen to be using at the time. Eg. Nero can set/unset the default booktypes, enable/disable PoweRec, burn speed, BurnProof; holding the eject button will enable SpeedRead etc etc.

AutoStrategy might be different, though…

What Plextools settings are you referring to specifically?

Well,that’s one of my problems.I have an older version of NERO (6.3.1.20)that won’t let me update,and I can’t find the settings for “booktype”.I have it set in Plextools to DVD-ROM.But when I do a NERO CD/DVD speed it says DVD+R!!

In Nero (6.6.0.3), it’s here:

-Pull down the Recorder menu and select Choose Recorder
-At the bottom of the window that comes up, there’s an Options button. Click it.
-In the Book Type Settings drop-down menu, choose DVD-ROM
-Click OK

If you’re having trouble upgrading to the latest Nero, perhaps that’s best, uhhhh, discussed in a PM :wink:

Edit: If you set booktype in Plextools and then run Nero, Nero’s settings will almost certainly override Plextools. You’d have to use Plextools to do the actual burn to get the booktype setting to ‘stick’. Plextools is nothing more than a front-end to a suite of utilities; there’s nothing magic about it.

email NERO and ask why you can’t update your NERO BURN…

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW :slight_smile:
PIONEER 107D DVDRW:)
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2):slight_smile:
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVEs
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER 480 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TRUE POWER 430 WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARDs

You know that admin can read our PM. :cop:

What I’m talking about almost certainly requires email anyways … or access to an FTP client (my nick’s deliberate y’know…) :bigsmile:

thanks to loord i have 6.6.0.6… :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

ftp1020,don’t know why I can’t update,all I get are CMC errors @XXXXXXX!E-mail me,voodoomedicine@hotmail.com.And yes I DO own NERO!!! :aI have NERO 6 Ultra.Is this different from what you are using?

Voodoo, from the Task Manager, Plextools only uses 1,260K of memory, compare to my YPager (yahoo messenger) 22,552K or gnotify (gmail) 9,084K.

why not just burn with PT?

zevia “from the Task Manager, Plextools only uses 1,260K of memory, compare to my YPager (yahoo messenger) 22,552K or gnotify (gmail) 9,084K.”

Don’t get what your saying???

drpino,have always used NERO,BUT,if you can tell me how to use PT,I’ll give it a try!!

By the way,I got Nero to update,had to uninstall and reinstall??!!I think it’s time to reformat!! :a :a :a

you can use PT to compile audio cds and do copies from one drive or a disc image. it’s fairly straightforward, just choose the appropriate function in the left hand features column.

I use the PX-716A under Linux. No Plextools, just using K3B as graphical frontend (like Nero) of cdrecord, the burning software.
All options like varirec, gigarec, powerec, burnproof are accessible through options, as stated by the man page of cdrecord. So there is no need of Plextools to get advantage of the driver features: it just has to be implemented in the burning software.
My burnings are as good as under Windows, as checked with Plextools software.

So you needed PlexTools at the end. :bigsmile:

Jokes aside, I think that it is obvious that PlexTools doesn’t do anything “magic”… the problem is finding (at least under Windows) a software that handles e.g. GigaRec. If cdrecord already handles that, since it is an open source program this means that the specifications of GigaRec are known to the public, so probably in the near future some burning softwares will implement it (the same with the other features) :slight_smile:

ET

i think the best thing about plextools is the centralization of all the functions/capabilities of Plextor drives. the suite of tests and drive settings really allow a user to easily access all the control features that us Plex owners are lucky to have.

libredr, that’s great to know that you can take full advantage of the drive under linux. im sure that’s very informative for many users.

:slight_smile: Yes, but only to make the C1/C2 scans. This is missing under Linux. I hope someone will write soon an application to perform this, this must be easy to do. One could also try to emulate pxscan and pxview with wine maybe.
Otherwise, I am delighted of my burnings with the PX716A, it works perfectly under Linux (and probably any OS).

Yep, this has become my main OS now.
Just one warning : DVD burning is still under development, but now it is greatly improved and stabilised. DVD-/+R are fully supported, there are also tools to format DVD+RW, set the booktype, etc…
However, gigarec, varirec are usually not accessible from graphical frontends (but as you know open source software is released regularly with new features), but have to be set using the command-line. However, it is not very difficult.
For people who want to try Linux, I would thus recommend recent distributions (Mandrake 10.1, Suse 9.2, Fedora C3) because they include these new tools and they are already configured for use. Older distributions/versions may not include these tools and this may be a prioblem for new users. The next Mandrakelinux 10.2 should rock about DVD burning (I check the development version now).

I know, I know, I was only joking, don’t take it seriously. :wink:
Can you tell me which version of cdrecord are you using? I’m asking you that since in the manpage of (latest?) version 2.0 I don’t find any reference to GigaRec or SecuRec, only VariRec

EDIT: Ok, I found it… cdrtools-2.01.01a01 (at least for GigaRec) :smiley:

Regards, :slight_smile:

ET

i’ve been itching to give the 64bit version of SuSE a try with my A64 rigs…not to mention giving linux a try period.